Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LS7 in a 350Z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:00 AM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lakelandkev
Sorry to get u upset bud. But I too have looked into it. Just to put it aside just go N/A with da stroker kit.4.2L./ stand-alone yada-yada, And your so close it isn't funny. And still retain the cars integrety/Balance..Amuse Z......No offense seen this going on with RX-7's and its a waste.. Trust me I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out..Also seen RB's in 350z...Good luck with your efforts, would luv to be shown dif. aspect of it.. F/I issues have to do with crappy install's and bad detonation...Just my .05 cents take it for what u will. Again no offense, taken or given.
I wasn't offended at all, I just wanted to make sure no one was misinformed into thinking that LsX motors are heavy and underpowered when they are actually quite the opposite. And also LsX motors respond unbelievably well to N/A mods. Good point with the stroker kit but you still would be nowhere near the potential of having an LsX motor in your Z. Talk to some F/I guys and they will tell you the more parts you put on a car the more things that can go wrong even really good installs can sometimes encounter some kind of issues, not to say a swap like this won't encounter some unforseen issues.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure it is a LS7 and not an LS2? LS7 505hp. LS2 400hp. The LS7 is the motor used in the 06-07 Z06.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZPirate
Are you sure it is a LS7 and not an LS2? LS7 505hp. LS2 400hp. The LS7 is the motor used in the 06-07 Z06.
thats one of the best points I have heard yet, didn't even think of that %100 accurate as well. He is claiming 400hp that should indicate LS2 as found in the GTO.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
ryanmac516
i like boobies

if it is an ls2 or an ls7 i still think he should do it if he wants to do it. i for one would like to see what it would take to get it done. not that i would be attempting to do but just to see how hard and expensive it would be. good luck with the swap and like everyone else has siad keep a good record of everything that goes on with it, and make sure to post the progress
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 AM
ZPirate

I just did some quick research on GM Performance Parts website. Looks like both the LS2 and the LS7 are available as crate engines. I knew the LS2 was, but wasn't sure about the LS7 since it is fairly new and used in the current Z06. No pricing provided. I suspect the LS7 is quite a bit more expensive than the LS2. I believe I have heard $15,000 for an LS7. 5.7 liter LS1s and LS6s are also still available through GM.

Personally I would think the LS2 would be a beast in the Z, not to mention what the LS7 would be. I also have an 06 C6 six speed (with the LS2) and Z51 performance package and it is pretty darn quick. The Z is and would be heavier than the C6 with an LS2 or LS7, but it would still be very quick. BTW GM is supposed to be coming out with a new all aluminum LS3 6.2 liter engine in the 2008 C6.

Last edited by ZPirate; 02-15-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Lakelandkev

Originally Posted by ArCtM
I wasn't offended at all, I just wanted to make sure no one was misinformed into thinking that LsX motors are heavy and underpowered when they are actually quite the opposite. And also LsX motors respond unbelievably well to N/A mods. Good point with the stroker kit but you still would be nowhere near the potential of having an LsX motor in your Z. Talk to some F/I guys and they will tell you the more parts you put on a car the more things that can go wrong even really good installs can sometimes encounter some kind of issues, not to say a swap like this won't encounter some unforseen issues.
I totaly understand what your saying. But is it worth all the trouble? And yeah your still looking at issues, in both cases(motor swap & F/I). Maybe wrong on this one but, an Lsx motor I think is ALOT more($) than a Ls7???? Ls7 is a heavy motor vs. da VQ. But here's another one for ya. At a certain point the motor will out-perform the car(that would also happen in a high hp VQ also) and to what point do you stop moding the car, and where as its just plain CHEAPER to buy a vette???
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Id never buy a vette, i just think they are kinda ugly.

If I was spending 80K on a Z06 id be saving it for the Skyline or buy a stock carerra and just sport around.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by MI 35th

If I was spending 80K on a Z06 id be saving it for the Skyline or buy a stock carerra and just sport around.
I agree
Old 02-15-2007, 12:30 PM
03ZHIFT

Well.. Ive searched around a little bit. Its looking like the VQ35 weighs in the 375lb range and the LS7 in the 450lb range. I didn't see any definite numbers from the manufacturer so please don't quote me. With a little weight reduction/relocation you can keep the weight distribution kinda close.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 PM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by MI 35th
To each his own. I have both a 350Z and a C6 and both have there good and not so good qualities. I actually have less money in my Vette than in my Z. And the Vette is still faster, not to mention lighter. In my opinion there is not a better performance bang for the buck out there than a C6, especially with the Z51 performance package and a six speed.

That being said I wouldn't have bought a C5. To me the C6s are much nicer and not as large. A C6 Z06 is a whole different animal and nearly twice the cost of a regular C6.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:55 PM
350zroadster

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
I am sure it makes more sense from an "ease" factor, but I want a new 350Z (which I already have) with a new V8 (which I also have).

Its a hard conversion yes, but I'm more in it for the "wow" factor a.k.a "bling factor" a.k.a. "Holy Crap, did you hear that 350Z" Factor. Ya feel me?
this is the kind of special projects that can get attention of sponsors. Have you looked into one?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by 350zroadster
this is the kind of special projects that can get attention of sponsors. Have you looked into one?
Good point, not yet looked in to that.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:10 PM
ArCtM

Originally Posted by Lakelandkev
I totaly understand what your saying. But is it worth all the trouble? And yeah your still looking at issues, in both cases(motor swap & F/I). Maybe wrong on this one but, an Lsx motor I think is ALOT more($) than a Ls7???? Ls7 is a heavy motor vs. da VQ. But here's another one for ya. At a certain point the motor will out-perform the car(that would also happen in a high hp VQ also) and to what point do you stop moding the car, and where as its just plain CHEAPER to buy a vette???
LsX is just used to represent the Ls series of motors it's not an actual motor. Ls1, Ls2, Ls6, Ls7.

As soon as you buy just the TT kit it's cheaper to buy the vette. Before the install cost of the TT and everything else you need to run it safely your already in c6 corvette cost territory. No one has actually reached any of these motors peak performance ability so I can't really answer that question but If you reinforce the drivetrain, chassis as well as suspension I dont think the motor will out perform the car. At what point do you stop modding a car? Whenever you think it's done I guess.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPirate
I just did some quick research on GM Performance Parts website. Looks like both the LS2 and the LS7 are available as crate engines. I knew the LS2 was, but wasn't sure about the LS7 since it is fairly new and used in the current Z06. No pricing provided. I suspect the LS7 is quite a bit more expensive than the LS2. I believe I have heard $15,000 for an LS7. 5.7 liter LS1s and LS6s are also still available through GM.

Personally I would think the LS2 would be a beast in the Z, not to mention what the LS7 would be. I also have an 06 C6 six speed (with the LS2) and Z51 performance package and it is pretty darn quick. The Z is and would be heavier than the C6 with an LS2 or LS7, but it would still be very quick. BTW GM is supposed to be coming out with a new all aluminum LS3 6.2 liter engine in the 2008 C6.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_758810_-1

just click on the "add to cart"
Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
$13,000 for an LS7 (not including a transmission)

The LS2 by comparison is $5,500. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_761691_-1
Old 02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Lakelandkev

Originally Posted by ArCtM
LsX is just used to represent the Ls series of motors it's not an actual motor. Ls1, Ls2, Ls6, Ls7.

As soon as you buy just the TT kit it's cheaper to buy the vette. Before the install cost of the TT and everything else you need to run it safely your already in c6 corvette cost territory. No one has actually reached any of these motors peak performance ability so I can't really answer that question but If you reinforce the drivetrain, chassis as well as suspension I dont think the motor will out perform the car. At what point do you stop modding a car? Whenever you think it's done I guess.
Yeah, cost vs. performance.. Was at a Super car Callange a little while back. A Brand spankin new Vette Z06 with a supercharger was out and was pushin 1100hp. Looked bad azz, but could get it to hook in da 1/4 to save its life ran like low 12's spun da first 1/8 mile. Where as Jeremy's VQ TT greddy/ built motor/ TH400 auto trany ran the 10.40's.(both cars were at this event) This is what i'm talkin about. Motor out-performing da car. Sometimes too much is that, too much. That is what leads me to the money factor. Sometimes starting at one point and doing small mods to get what took gobs of money in another car to do the same..Some track(non-drag) ppl have sold there Z for a Lotus and new with da supercharged model...That's were I'm going with this. Personaly I luv my Z, and just too tall for a Lotus(don't like it also, looks like a Miata on roids).. But both Vette and Lotus's are very nice cars..JDM BABY!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
gabez33

Originally Posted by s13SRmadness
you should really look into that before posting.
the ls7 is not a heavy motor.

the swap can most defenitley be done. post a bunch after you have it done.
if you want to sell your vq engine/tranny/harness/clutch interlock/ecu/dash harness/key recogntion thing, etc.....
let me know your price. at the very least lemme know what you want for the trans.
Hey I have a VQ revvup with only 14,000 miles on it...PM if you are intrested...sellin cheap! and tranny if ur intrested
Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
wahooj

LOL a couple years ago the guy who teaches Salsa at the Purple Martini in the Denver Tech Center claimed to have a V8 in a 350Z roadster and I just laughed and said whatever buddy. Probably got ripped off and just thinks he's got a V8.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:52 AM
ZPirate

Another interesting fact about the LS7 and one of the reasons it is so expensive (in addition to its technology) is that each engine is hand assembled by a single engine builder. The LS2 on the other hand is built on an engine assembly line. There is an article in the March 2007 edition of Corvette Magazine about the process of building an LS7.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:59 AM
ZPirate

So Luscious Luke what kind of LS engine is it? Is it really a 7.0 liter LS7 or is it a 6.0 liter LS2 or other LS engine? You seem to be ignoring the question.

Quick Reply: LS7 in a 350Z!!!