Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LS7 in a 350Z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 AM
azula

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPirate
$13,000 for an LS7 (not including a transmission)

The LS2 by comparison is $5,500. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_761691_-1
jeeze the cost is split in more than half....ls2 ftw...
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM
Luscious Luke

Originally Posted by ZPirate
So Luscious Luke what kind of LS engine is it? Is it really a 7.0 liter LS7 or is it a 6.0 liter LS2 or other LS engine? You seem to be ignoring the question.
I thought I answered this in my first post stating, "I have a brand new LS7." Considering my uncle spent over $9K on just the motor alone, and it came with the big red valve cover shrouds with "Corvette LS7 7.0L" printed on them, I am left to assume it is indeed an LS7. Pretty hard to mistake for any other LS motor.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the crate motor does not have the dry sump system from the Z06 though.

any update or eta on when it's going in the shop?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 AM
s13SRmadness

updates???
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 AM
djnc

just throw this is there:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...58062_-1_10763
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
khyber

Funny that I find this post when I'm searching for stroker kit info, but when I look up LS engine swap info I can't find this. Anyway, maybe this thread is semi-dead, but I looked into doing an LS2 swap into my z (or have been looking into it) pretty throughly, and got a lot of different info. One shop I went to told me that for some reason I couldn't put the c6 ls2 in but I could put the gto ls2 in? I was told that it had something to do with mid engine and front engine, I couldn't get as much information as I wanted out of the guy but even what I got was a little confusing.
What I really wanted to add though, and this is not for sure, because the source I got this information from talks a lot and it's hard to know what's true or not, but here goes: Supposedly Orange County Corvette has a G35 that they're in the process of swapping an LS7 into. Apparently it belongs to the owner of Stoptech or something, and they have the engine in there already and they're doing all the wiring now and what not. Now, just to be extra safe, I'm pretty sure the Z and G35 engine bays are the same but so as not to be ignorant, I'll ask, are they? If so, that'd make the swap possible in the Z, obviously? I'm supposed to be going down there sometime this week because he's dropping his C6 off there to get his engine swapped for a built LS7, so I'll check it out and let you all know for sure.
-Max
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 AM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if an ls7 weighs in at 450lbs roughly, how much does a rotary motor weigh? i read that an ls swap weighs only 60ish pounds more, but it doesnt seem to add up. a rotary is small, and no way does it weigh 390 pounds. (assuming the ls7 weighs about as much as any other ls motor)
Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
Post some pictures of the LS7 you have in your garage. We have all saw these threads go and go for months without a picture and found out it was all BS.
Any pics yet?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by khyber
Funny that I find this post when I'm searching for stroker kit info, but when I look up LS engine swap info I can't find this. Anyway, maybe this thread is semi-dead, but I looked into doing an LS2 swap into my z (or have been looking into it) pretty throughly, and got a lot of different info. One shop I went to told me that for some reason I couldn't put the c6 ls2 in but I could put the gto ls2 in? I was told that it had something to do with mid engine and front engine, I couldn't get as much information as I wanted out of the guy but even what I got was a little confusing.
What I really wanted to add though, and this is not for sure, because the source I got this information from talks a lot and it's hard to know what's true or not, but here goes: Supposedly Orange County Corvette has a G35 that they're in the process of swapping an LS7 into. Apparently it belongs to the owner of Stoptech or something, and they have the engine in there already and they're doing all the wiring now and what not. Now, just to be extra safe, I'm pretty sure the Z and G35 engine bays are the same but so as not to be ignorant, I'll ask, are they? If so, that'd make the swap possible in the Z, obviously? I'm supposed to be going down there sometime this week because he's dropping his C6 off there to get his engine swapped for a built LS7, so I'll check it out and let you all know for sure.
-Max
there are a couple reasons that could be true.

motor mount locations, head height (not sure if the GTO and C6 share the same heads) and some LSxs have drive by wire and others a cable...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
I thought I answered this in my first post stating, "I have a brand new LS7." Considering my uncle spent over $9K on just the motor alone, and it came with the big red valve cover shrouds with "Corvette LS7 7.0L" printed on them, I am left to assume it is indeed an LS7. Pretty hard to mistake for any other LS motor.
cough... still waiting on pics or updates on your progress....
Old 07-03-2007, 09:34 AM
AREITU

Bringing this thread back from the dead out of curiosity.

Originally Posted by khyber
-Max
The GTO and the C5 have different oil sump pickups. Vette has a rear sump and GTO nas a front sump, which makes the GTO motor much easier to swap into other cars.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

So how is the motor swap coming along? Photos?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Archbishop
Banned

Stupid idea, and a stupid thread. Let it die.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,283 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There's already an LSx into 350Z swap in progress. In fact there's a thread on this very board about it:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/255642-well-my-car-shipped-out-today.html
Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by i8acobra
There's already an LSx into 350Z swap in progress. In fact there's a thread on this very board about it:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255642
Didn't you read? Archbishop claimed it as a stupid idea, so every needs to put a halt to it and never discuss this matter again!!! Don't make Archbishop start with insults and name calling, as he has in the past when he doesn't get his way.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Motormouth
Banned

yup, he doesn't even need to be a mod to lock down a thread.

he speaks
we obey
Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 AM
S8ER95Z

Well I am glad that is settled.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:42 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

why not just turbo your current motor for around the same price?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Luscious Luke
After much searching, probably in all of the wrong places, I have come to the conclusion that there is no one, other that Chris Foresberg (sp) that has a V8 in their 350z, and thats a Nissan V8.

I just recently purchased a brand new, turn key LS7 V8 from my uncle who was interested in putting it in his new hot rod but ran out of funds and needed the money bad for more important expenses, so to make a long story short, I bought it from him in anticipation that I could find a shop or someone online that would either offer a kit to drop this motor in or could fabricate the necessary mounts to incorporate my brand new LS7 into my 2006 350Z.

Again, long story short, I can't find anyone that is doing this yet. For all I know, it may not even be possible.

Can anyone help here? I have a brand new Vet motor sitting in my garage with no engine bay to call home.
I think you would be the first to have the ls7 dropped in. there are pleanty of vette fanboys that have been talking about this swap. Motor mounts aren't exactly hard to make. You could probably make those yourself. Mating your tranny to the ls7 is another matter entirely. Definitely look for a good shop and let them just sort it all out for you. This may be rather costly in the end. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I call BS till I see some pics.

Quick Reply: LS7 in a 350Z!!!