2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

new member here! few questions before making the leap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Iconoclast1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member here! few questions before making the leap

Hey everyone!

My name is Peter and ive been thinking about buying a 350Z's for a few months now. I have been researching them and reading up on forums just to get a general feel of how the vehicles handle and what I should look out for before buying. So then i thought to myself "what better place to ask about the Z than 'the world's largest NISSAN 350Z (Z33) community web site'?" lol. So if possible i would love to get some feedback on what Im looking to buy and what to pay close attention to before making the leap and settling for one.

Im looking for a 03' touring in Silverstone. I want it to have ~30k miles(less will do too of course) and cost no more than $22k pre-tax. Its going to be a manual and will be my year round daily driver. If possible within the budget i would also go for an 04' but that would be a little more difficult to find im thinking. The reason i decided on the 03' touring is because i would love to take advantage of the dual leather heated power seats, and 240w Bose 7 speaker system, which from what i know are only available on touring models. Is that right?

What should I pay close attention to when test driving and inspecting the Z before purchase? Ive heard tire feathering issues come with the 03's... also some transmission problems?

Thank you all very much for your help and hopefully ill be staying around this great community for a while.

-Pete

p.s. My brother has an '04 G35 coupe and my dad has an '06 Murano S so im not very new to neither the nissan nor VQ35 community.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Nic@CiNcity
Banned

Yo.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Boostd4

I just kinda went through this process, depending on where you live (I'm in Northern California) you can find 04s and possibly some 05s in your price range. I ended up going with an 06 Enthusiast with 7K miles for $25K before tax and license. You'll find that if you're willing to spend maybe 1 or 2K more on the car before taxes you'll find a newer and lower milage Z.

I opted to go after a newer one because a lot of the issues you mentioned had been resolved for the most part.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
imjdoggie

I personally woudn't worry about that stuff the Bose stereo's really really stink and if it's going to be your dd you are going to be in the car most of the time. Basically what I'm saying is look for a track model (brakes, wheels, etc.). The stereo can be upgraded in any model because like I said the Bose's are worthless. And the track model might even be wired for heated seats so you could swap-buy them down the road if you want. Just get a Z and you'll be happy man.

Tire feathering can be fixed with an alignment and the tranny is covered for 5 years 60k miles.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
350zfun19

I got a 04 touring in silverstone. the bose is ok i defenetly will be changing everything but not for a while its good for now. the heated seats are nice the get hot pretty quick. leather is also nice. it is my daily driver for now once i get out of college im goin to get a beater so i wont have to drive it during the winter. it was 23k and there was a 03 silverstone touring next to it exactly the same but with more miles for 17k! i think it had 60k mine had 47 when i got it.

good luck with the hunt for one. hopefully you find what you are looking for. but once u get it you are goin to love it!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
md350

Definitely doable, but you need to look up cars and find the right one. It took me a while but I eventually found my perfect combo at the right price and bought it. '04 Touring LeMans Sunset with ~30k miles. Was $21.9k before tax.

I will say that most like that were listed at more like $25k...I was amazed to find my car at a price like that. Had to jump on it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome.

Complete specifications for each year and each model can be found here: http://www.nissanhelp.com/.

For reliability data see Consumer Reports posts here.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 PM
FALLEN1z

hey, i have an 03 performance silverstone, and the main thing i'd look for is the trans. the tire feathering is an easy thing to fix but there's always that chance the the guys at nissan will be a ***** if you try and get the trans fixed. from what i've heard it's pretty hit or miss with the trans and mine happens to be one of the notchy ones. the leather seats are always nice but the cloth ones are grippier so you dont slide around and they're also lighter so even if you did settle on one without leather it would be alright. i got mine for 18,900 about a month ago with 43k miles on it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:46 PM
mthreat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it has under 60K miles, you're covered under the drivetrain warranty, which covers the transmission.

The tire feathering seems to be managable if you keep the alignment in check, which may require getting one or two alignments per year. I think the feathering problems are on the 04's as well as the 03's, but it's hard to say for sure because Nissan never really said when they "fixed" the problem (or what the fix was).

The Bose system is definitely good enough for me, but some people still complain about it. I'm not sure if it's a touring-only option. There are some nice iPod integration options with the Bose system (search for the USA-Spec PA11-NIS, or see this link.

You should definitely be able to find a 2003 touring for 22k or less. I paid 23k for my 2003 touring in april 2006, and it came with volk 19" wheels. If it's completely stock, 22k is probably at the high-end for pricing. Good luck on your search!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Iconoclast1

are there any specific reasons why i should take an 04 over an 03? Like do they have less flaws?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iconoclast1
are there any specific reasons why i should take an 04 over an 03? Like do they have less flaws?
O3's had all the recalls ... tire feathering, transmission problems, etc. If I were you I'd look into the 04' and above.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Zya123

I have an 03 and I love it, just get an extended warrenty, incase something happends.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM
evolved326

If you're financing that 23k, might as well pay a little bit more and buy a brand new one.~27K
Old 02-18-2007, 08:20 PM
itburns

Originally Posted by Iconoclast1

I've got your 2004 1/2 Touring right here. Far fewer defects and service bulletins. The only thing I needed to fix was the axle clicking. No window grease, no tire feathering, etc.

I have over 40k miles on it now but just recently noticed one of my headlamps fogging up on the inside.

The only interior diff is that the '04 has knee pads on the driver's and the passenger's side.

The BOSE stereo is not too much of a selling feature. Personally I like it, but it's not the kind of stereo that you can bump beyond your car. If you want to entertain other drivers and cars around you, the BOSE has to go. I find it is good enough to not have to be upgraded for me, and since I also have the DVD-NAV it makes it complicated to switch out and retain the muting capability of the NAV unit's voice commands.

Touring is nice. The perforated black leather with orange stitching and power heated seats in my car look and feel awesome and are a big reason for my infatuation with my car! Sure they add some weight but it hasn't lost me any street races.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Iconoclast1

Originally Posted by itburns
I've got your 2004 1/2 Touring right here. Far fewer defects and service bulletins. The only thing I needed to fix was the axle clicking. No window grease, no tire feathering, etc.

I have over 40k miles on it now but just recently noticed one of my headlamps fogging up on the inside.

The only interior diff is that the '04 has knee pads on the driver's and the passenger's side.

The BOSE stereo is not too much of a selling feature. Personally I like it, but it's not the kind of stereo that you can bump beyond your car. If you want to entertain other drivers and cars around you, the BOSE has to go. I find it is good enough to not have to be upgraded for me, and since I also have the DVD-NAV it makes it complicated to switch out and retain the muting capability of the NAV unit's voice commands.

Touring is nice. The perforated black leather with orange stitching and power heated seats in my car look and feel awesome and are a big reason for my infatuation with my car! Sure they add some weight but it hasn't lost me any street races.
What exactly is 2004.5? is there such thing as just a 2004? would the headlamps fogging be covered under the warranty? was the axle clicking covered? Is the bose system in the z the same as the one in the g35, because that one definetly seems to satisfy me in my brothers car. also, what are these knee pads?