Sponsored by:

Any tips for LONG distance driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sean1967
don't sleep in the car, you could go hard core and wear a diaper like crazy astronaut chick
seriously lol'd @ this.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:30 PM
gtstephenson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Spike100
You are planning a long trip with a lot of driving. If you are alone in the car, you definitely need to plan your trip.

1) Most importantly: Don’t drive if you get sleepy. That’s when you pull over and take a short nap in a rest area (but not late at night when you shouldn't be driving anyway). Most single car accidents that result in a fatality happen because the driver falls asleep at the wheel and kills them self while leaving the roadway (rollover or hitting a stationary object).
2) Create a “flight plan” and try to stick to the plan. Determine in advance how far you drive each day and where you end up at day’s end. Of course, you must also maintain some degree of flexibility (i.e., you may get farther or less distance than your “flight plan,” and need to do a realistic modification).
3) Drive during daylight hours and rest at dark.
4) Never sleep in your car at a rest-stop. That is not safe. Independent-truck-drivers do this, but they are in an elevated cab, armed (dog, gun, and/or other weapon), and know the “terrain.”
5) Didn’t see a cell phone on your list. That is a requirement for long distance hauls.

--Spike
I bought my Z last year in South Carolina and drove it to CA over a 6 day period. I drove the southern route so I had no issues with the weather. But I turned the trip into a vacation for my wife and myself. We have friends in SC that we hadn't seen in years so we flew out and drove back. Here is what I experienced:
1. It's wise to drive in daylight. YOu are less tired and you get to see things along the way that are interesting.
2. Always used a motel (remember, I had the wife with me). I did when I was in the military drive from AL to OR (and back) without benefit of a bed. But I think the country was a safer place back then. I'd never do that now.
3. Can you say iPod? For sure, load that up with music you want to hear.
4. Books on tape (or CD). Get plenty of them. Driving long distances can get boring but a good mystery really helps out.
5. I had good road the entire way. Didn't have a clear bra on the car then but had I known about the clear bra I would have installed it before I left.
6. Cell Phone, for just in case.
7. If you don't have GPS, make sure you have a good set of maps.
8. I had a laptop with me so I could check in to find all the places that might be interesting to see. Yahoo travel really helps.
9. I don't eat in the car but I did stop frequently for good healthy food. No fast food.
10. Watch your speed. The police will get you in many states. You will save on gas too. I did roll across Texas and New Mexico (80, 90 and 100 sometimes) but the conditions were right for it and everyone else was going fast too.
11. I did have an inflatable device but dound I really didn't need it or like it. Would usually stop for a while after 3 hours or less.
12. Monitor your maintenance items (water,oil,tires)

Tom S.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Ztalker

i've driven cross country at least a dozen times over the years and the most recent one was last september.

Like someone just mentioned, plan your daily destination and be flexible.

Just make sure you stick with your schedule. Try driving mostly during the day. At night, if you hit any debri like recap tire treads from trucks(very hard to avoid at night cruising over 80mph), it could be the end of your trip in your car.

Check into a motel in the evening and freshen up for the trip the next morning.

Bring dried fruits, snacks and plenty of bottle water for the trip.

i encountered most of the speed traps passing through IOWA and NEBRASKA.

The highways are pretty safe by and large. Watch out for black ice between the hours of 5am and 7am.

i drove over a thousand miles a day and it took me two and half days to drive from Elko nevada to washington DC(2700miles) and it was a pleasant and relaxed trip.

Have fun.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
HighwaySpeed

Thumbs up

Fly
Old 03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
redsoxfan184524
Nts Nts Nts Nts

Originally Posted by Spike100
You are planning a long trip with a lot of driving. If you are alone in the car, you definitely need to plan your trip.

1) Most importantly Don’t drive if you get sleepy. That’s when you pull over and take a short nap in a rest area (but not late at night when you shouldn't be driving anyway). Most single car accidents that result in a fatality happen because the driver falls asleep at the wheel and kills them self while leaving the roadway (rollover or hitting a stationary object).
2) Create a “flight plan” and try to stick to the plan. Determine in advance how far you drive each day and where you end up at day’s end. Of course, you must also maintain some degree of flexibility (i.e., you may get farther or less distance than your “flight plan,” and need to do a realistic modification).
3) Drive during daylight hours and rest at dark.
4) Never sleep in your car at a rest-stop. That is not safe. Independent-truck-drivers do this, but they are in an elevated cab, armed (dog, gun, and/or other weapon), and know the “terrain.”
5) Didn’t see a cell phone on your list. That is a requirement for long distance hauls.

--Spike
ahhhh???
Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Microsoft Streets and trips with GPS unit. It's like, $80, but I think it is definately worth it if you are bringing your laptop. I don't know how many times this saved me when I got lost.
2. Inverter to keep your laptop charged.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Krux

LOL don't go to lemoore, I live in visalia theres nothing good there
Old 03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
NightRida

Default Right on!

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
This is the best advise thus far. Just make sure you got a Bob cd in the car and lots of healthy snacks and bottled water cus you gonna be getting the munchies real quick. On the bright side, you'll be smiling the whole way there! lol
Peace!
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by redsoxfan184524
ahhhh???
You're not reading my message correctly and missed the point completely (and highlighted my original message incorrectly by changing my bold and italics... When you use the Quote feature, don't change the original author's text as you did in this case).

My point: Don't "overnight" in a rest area if you are in a car. Use rest areas to rest when driving during daylight if you get sleepy.

--Spike
Old 03-08-2007, 01:56 AM
fordslowcus

ahh? my internet is set to be cut off any time now. Thanks for all the help Ill definately have to re-do my inventory. Good lookin out fellers. Ill take picture or do a video documentary. Maybe even visit bed bath and beyound I dont know if ill have time. Lates!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:38 AM
Firehawk

I would not bring a gas can, laser pointer, tie wires, or jumper cables. Travel light. Do bring a radar detector. Drive until you are tired if you are trying to make time, otherwise plan stops at places that interest you and reserve hotel rooms.

I like to travel straight through, but I can stay up long hours and driving at night does not make me sleepy. If you sleep at a rest stop, do so for only an hour or so at a time, and at ones that are populated. Lots of music, and a car with a nice sound system makes a huge difference. When you eat, stop somewhere and get a good meal, not just fast food.

If you want to bring a gun for protection, hide it. Cops can't search your car unless they have a reason, and a traffic stop is not a reason.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 AM
EM-EFER

Buy a subscription to Sirius! That would keep you going.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:06 AM
06SilverstoneZ

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Oh, and I keep a collapsible riot baton in the car too. Usually, in the door pocket. Not the cheap, lightweight ones, I'm talking the heavy-gauge steel ones, that'll really leave a mark... .

I keep the same baton in the same car , except in the little storage area on the side of the drivers seat .
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightRida
This is the best advise thus far. Just make sure you got a Bob cd in the car and lots of healthy snacks and bottled water cus you gonna be getting the munchies real quick. On the bright side, you'll be smiling the whole way there! lol
Peace!
That's crack not pot...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:06 AM
SargentZ

For Protection buy some "Mace or Pepper Spray" leave the other weapons at home except maybe a small pocket knife, under 4 inches. Although my CCW allows me to carry legally in 28 states.

Do Bring a pillow as suggested for lower back support.

If you have Satellite radio make sure it is hard wired to your system as changing the FM stations on a road trip sucks ballz.

Tom Tom or other NAV system is nice if you got the cake. otherwise pick up a state map when crossing borders. Most state welcome centers have maps for free or just buy the 'large' road atlas, the little ones suck.

Stay away from Fast food as having digestive issues on a road trip is the worst. I always drop an Immodium to lock up the system just in case and bring a bunch of tums and water.

Take your time, stop and smell the roses. Alot of rest stops have some neat scenery.

Best advise, bring a friend, strength in numbers and they can also help drive and keep you company.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Destiny350Z

Originally Posted by fordslowcus
Starting point is OakHarbor WA and gona be taking most of I-90 to Henderson NC, after staying there a few days I'll be going down to Pensacola, FL then after im done with school there (30)days Ill be driving all the way back to Lemoore CA on most of I-10. Any tips? Like is it better to drive in the night to avoid traffic, what rest stops to avoid. Should I avoid sleeping in reststops all together? What size knife should I carry and whats a good Hiding place in the car for it? What states are notorius for speed traps? The following is a list of my current provisions:

-Fix-a-Flat
-GasCan
-TireWires
-JumperCables
-Snuggly blanket n pillow
-Laser Pointer
-My desketop computer
-Paper backup map
-Human feed

people say im crazy. I say "Hey its GRAND Touring so Ill be ok cuz the car was made for this."
Don't stop in Mississippi or Louisiana if possible, they are small state and they don't take long to get out of.
Drive as fast as you can, while keeping your eyes open for cops. Look for more cop as you enter Texas!
If you drive in the day time you will have more choices than IHOP to stop at.But diving until you get tired is good, if its 1am and your still not sleepy keep going!
How old are you? Because I was thinking more like Concealed Weapon Permit (hand gun... bang bang) instead of a knife .. you have to be close to someone to stab them, and sometimes thats just not cool. But if you can't get a gun permit take a knife and also go to the sporting goods store and get a can of bear mace, it sprays up to 30ft!
Go to walmart and buy one of those jumper cables with the battery attached, you can never expect anyone to help you out anymore, unless its another Z driver.
If you start to get a little tired (not sleepy) and it is night time roll down your windows, there is something creepy about having your windows down in the pitch blackness
Have fun drive safely!
Ps find other Z to play with along the way!

Last edited by Destiny350Z; 03-08-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM
NightRida

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
That's crack not pot...
Oh yah dude! My bad, I thought he was hitting a bowl upside down or something? Man I'm retarded! lol
Peace!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
VQ35DE350Zms

i dont think its worth it just FLY
Old 03-08-2007, 08:18 PM
_NIZMO_

Originally Posted by drift_projekt_Z
find a chick, and get roadhead the whole way home.... yes!

Genious

Quick Reply: Any tips for LONG distance driving