Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002 | 06:47 AM
knihc2008

i think that it's a much harder dilemma to those that haven't ordered or commited to the z. to those who have, they've weighed everything out and have found the 350z to be the best choice. to those who haven't, the g35 coupe still remains a large factor.

i really don't know which one to get. i'd like the z because it's a true z, two seats, no trunk space. i'd like the g35 coupe because it's much more luxurious and i actually have a chance of stuffing my cello in there.

it's a tossup for me. but i suppose i'm the only one who has a cello to carry around.
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:48 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

man, just 2 weeks ago i had the same thoughts about ditching the z and going for the g35c, but i told my self that since i placed my order already i shouldn't change my mind. NOW, you guys have to bring up this topic, and my mind is changing again. i gotta go down to the inifiniti dealer this weekend and check out the g35.

i also wonder how much will insurance differ for the 2 cars. if the g35c's rate is substantially cheaper, i may go with it.

SHEETT!!! i hate nissan, why can't they just make 1 model so i don't have to fry my brain over this!!
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:50 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis

robbyn,

When you looked at the Canadian pricing, did you take the exchange rate in consideration? The Canadian dollar has a less value than the US dollar so you need more Canadian Dollars to make a purchase. The G will of course cost more but it's and the Z's pricing intercect over a fairly decent range.

You stated that the Z will have more HP but in fact we don't know that. The Z has 287 HP, that we know. Infiniti hasn't released the final HP ratings of the G35c. They have only stated that it will have OVER 275 HP. Weight however is a completely different issue. The G will of course be heavier due to being longer, having back seats. I haven't heard about the Z's carbon fiber driveshaft but do you know for sure that the G will not have one? These cars share the same chassis, engine, tranny, and suspension.

I fall into that "torn" catagory. I won't be able to make up my mind until I've actually driven both cars. TXSTYLE, my Dallas brethren, I think you have already made up your mind. IMO, you are someone that likes Luxury over performance but you don't want to give up to much on performance. I think there will be a G35c in your garage. It might not be a Z but it is definitly better than a BMW 3 series Coupe.
Those are EXCELLENT points Sgt B. Guys quite honestly I would not be surprised at all if the coupe has the exact same 287-hp, carbon fiber driveshaft and all the other go-fast goodies of the Z! It's no mystery that Imfinity/Nissan is gaining on the market with "Performance" leading the way! We've seen the G35 Sedan being praised by magazines as the definitive "3-Series Crusher" and the Coupe could be the perverbial nail in the coffin for all would be coupes below $50k!!!
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:51 AM
mysteriumZ
Charter Member #101

Smile

I'll keep you informed as things develop, but I might just go and place a "refundable" $500 deposit down tomorrow just in case.................
txstyle
i might just do the same
Old 07-24-2002 | 06:57 AM
azmo

For all you people who are torn betweent the g35 coupe and 350z. If you havent yet then please take a look at thread titled with audi tt / 350z and view the pics. My god!!! the 350z is so incredibly beautiful. Ive seen about a thousand pics of the 350z and watched that brian Z video a couple of hundred times. But everytime i see new pics of this car its mind blowing...and in these pics the car looks simply spectacular. I think my knees are going to give in on me when i see this car in person. I think you guys have to think this over some more..Luxury suxury..350z is the way to go ..no doubt about it..my opinion.
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:02 AM
1STZEVER

There's definately some give and take here; it's a tough call. For every positive feature for one, there's a negative for the other and vice versa.

This is what I think it boils down to: the exclusivity of the Z. The head-turning appeal of the Z will initially be off the charts, and that is appealing to many. The Z will always be a hot car, but people won't break their necks trying to catch a glimpse of it forever. The initial hysteria of the general public will fade into casual admiration within a year or so IMO.

By pre-ordering the Z, you have reserved your place in the Z-spotlight in the near future. But ask yourself this, would the decision to jump ship be any easier had you not pre-ordered the Z? If the answer is yes, I think you need to get the G35.

Given your penchant for luxury, I think in the end you will regret not getting the G35. Sure, you will miss out on the much deserved hype of the Z, but soon the excitement will fade and you will more fully appreciate your choice.
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:15 AM
mbeguy

Buy both?

I have been seriously considering this option. I WANT the Z...ok...so no options there. I really like the idea of having the G35C also. We also have an Odyssey with DVD...if you have kids...GET the DVD. So 3 cars. Remember the G35C and the 350Z together might cost the same or nicely less than some other options (not to name specific cars).

Anyway I want a sports car. That is my specific reason to get the Z. If I find I need a 4 seater I will have to get another car...not get rid of my Z.

Btw...this is another excellent use of leasing 2 cars as opposed to buying one.

Hey, I never said I saved any money.

MBEGuy
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:15 AM
mattyZ

Originally posted by azmo
and watched that brian Z video a couple of hundred times
What Brian Z video?
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:18 AM
mattyZ

Originally posted by VQracer
The 664MB video that was circulating a while back. The FTP server might still be up. I'll check.
Please do...thanks dude!
Old 07-24-2002 | 07:21 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis

robbyn,

When you looked at the Canadian pricing, did you take the exchange rate in consideration? The Canadian dollar has a less value than the US dollar so you need more Canadian Dollars to make a purchase. The G will of course cost more but it's and the Z's pricing intercect over a fairly decent range.

You stated that the Z will have more HP but in fact we don't know that. The Z has 287 HP, that we know. Infiniti hasn't released the final HP ratings of the G35c. They have only stated that it will have OVER 275 HP. Weight however is a completely different issue. The G will of course be heavier due to being longer, having back seats. I haven't heard about the Z's carbon fiber driveshaft but do you know for sure that the G will not have one? These cars share the same chassis, engine, tranny, and suspension.

I fall into that "torn" catagory. I won't be able to make up my mind until I've actually driven both cars. TXSTYLE, my Dallas brethren, I think you have already made up your mind. IMO, you are someone that likes Luxury over performance but you don't want to give up to much on performance. I think there will be a G35c in your garage. It might not be a Z but it is definitly better than a BMW 3 series Coupe.
That was converting to US. Dollars, it would have to be because $40K Canadian is about $25K US. I can assure you a loaded G35 coupe won't be $25K. It is true that no final HP numbers on the Coupe, but considering the Z was listed at 280+, I think its reasonable to believe the coupe will be less probably about 5 HP. I wish I could give you a link on the lack of carbon fiber drive shaft in the coupe, but I don't have one -- I am quite sure, howev er, that the Infiniti will not have one (all z models have the carbon fiber drive shaft.) But I guess since I can't give you a site for the infiniti drive shaft, I will have to say the previous statement comes with no warrenty either express or implied.
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:16 AM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default Re: I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
After having actually driven a G35-Sport and really digging on the interior (so used to my Lexus plushness) of the G35-Coupe, and I really like the tailight and rear facia, and the fact that the power is sooooooo close...........? I just got a call today from my Infiniti rep who has been keeping me posted on the Coupe and she was like, "Well Marcus, I've found out that the Silver w/ Black loaded Coupe you want should be here 1st of November if you are still interested, I'll make a spot for you on our first shipments." This is due to the fact that friends of mine have bought a Q45 and QX5 from this dealership. Don't get me wrong guys, the Z is and will be AWESOME, but damn, I'm starting to picture my planned 19's and additional modification on the Coupe and I'm really, really torn!
So let the "Big debate begin............"
Z or G35 Coupe? Why??? Be very, very specific!
TXSTYLE, My fiance reminds me of you, he has an SC300 lexus, he loves the luxary and the interior and the car can get up and move when it needs to..he is into comfort ,luxary and a sporty look. He really dislikes my 300ZX, says it rides like a truck, but it handles nice. I know he will like and occasionally drive my 350Z, but I think next year, I mean I know next year he will get the G35 sports coupe or the lexus convertible, probably in the pearl white with either light gray or tan leather interior..unfortunately the sedan doesn't do it for me so I will have my rough riding wonderful handling sportscar and he will have his luxary sports coupe and we will both be happy and have the best of both worlds. Good luck..you could get your Z and if it didn't do it for you, you could probably sell it at a profit and get the G35 in november..just don't drop too much dough on your mods until you know if you will keep the Z..about october you could make quite a neat profit and put the $ towards your G35 and those mods. Just an idea.
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:24 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Default ICON

(No, not Carl)

How many cars are instantly recognizable with a single syllable, let alone a single letter? There are only a few cars in modern history that can stand next to the Z. Vette, 2002...you pick.

Yes, I think the G35C is more attractive. In my wife's words " the (G35C) is more unisex, the Z is more masculine." If you want (near) luxury, order the touring model but stick with the Z. No compromises.

I might approach this differently (some may say more objectively) if I'd ever owned a new Z before. I have not. And I never thought I'd get the chance again after 1996.

I'm not going to miss this opportunity.
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:35 AM
TJZ

wow, i guess i have it easy. Im getting a Z and my dad is thinking about (which means most likely) a g35c. Im sure he will want to trade every now and then and thats cool w/ me. We'll get the best of both worlds. Most of you wont , hehe.
Old 07-24-2002 | 08:39 AM
Zspot

Thumbs down

Did you see both cars at the Autoshow?

I did..And there is no comparison between the two. The G35 had a moderate # of people checking it out, BUT THE Z had tons of droolers watching it spin around he turntable.

To me there is no comparison in styling. Lets face it one is a Z and the other will be remebered as another one of those numbered infiniti models I bet in 10 years most people wont remember the model # of the G35 while the Z will still turn heads, as the 300Z still turns them today.

Am I biased..You bet...Am I getting a Z...You know it...Will it be a better car...thats TBD

Good luck on your decision. If you want to give your preorder to someone..paid off of coarse let me know. I will take it
Old 07-24-2002 | 10:00 AM
3rdpower

I feel everyone's pain on this. When I heard about the G35c's luxury and what it was going to offer I got mighty irritated that Nissan put a Infinity out with close specs to the Z. I saw pictures of the G35c and I started thinking, "am I making the right decision?" Well my decision is made... I am a Z'er. I want a sports car and not a cruiser. I want timeless body design... I want the Z.
Old 07-24-2002 | 10:39 AM
Boomer

Default More major

Originally posted by JmanZ
Did I mention SUNROOF in the G35 Coupe?

heh

(I still like the Z more tho)
Jay, one of the reasons I am buying the Z is because it doesn't Have a sunroof. Here in windy Okla, a sunroof gets opened up, you get tons of dust and pollen, aggravating any allergies you may have. We have a saying here"if you're not allergic to anything, wait awhile, you will be". The last 6 cars I have owned had sunroofs with the exception of the MR2T, it had t-tops. All these wonderful, expensive, and mandatory options have been used rather spareingly by my wife and I. I only open the shade, not the top, after dark or in the winter. The t-tops on the MR2T were removed for open motoring 4 times in 7 years and 128,000 miles.

As the Brit tester in Car mag said a "tin" roof, I have rejoiced in the knowledge I will have a tin roof over my head. You can't tempt me, you are just tantalizing yourself and I won't be a party to your mania.

Boomer--ZZZZZZZZZZ
BR/FR/AT

Last edited by Boomer; 07-24-2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2002 | 02:08 PM
jran76

I thought about the same thing, I was somewaht disappointed I put a deposit down on the Z after I saw the G35c, but the pics of the 2 side by side have made me like the styling of the Z better.

I also think that I want a sportscar, and that is what it comes down to. I figure I will get the Z, drive it for 6 months, and then if I decide I like the G35 better, I will be able to break even, or close to it on the Z. I do not think all the mods for the Z would be as fun on the G35, especially FI, which I plan to do.

I am going to stick it out, but if I didn't have a preorder, it would be a tough call. My main issue is interior quality (no plans for a family in the next 4-5 years). To me those are the 2 issues. And, like I said, I like the styling of the Z better.

Word is the Sport model of the G35 will have 18's and Brembo's for about 32-33 grand.
Old 07-24-2002 | 03:18 PM
jgrier

Wink

People, if you are torn and have placed a deposit on a Z, keep your place in line! Drive it, and if you are disappointed and want to jump the fence, you will be able to sell your Z very easily for probably more than you paid for it. I think the dealers are going to mark up the Z's first chance they get since corporate would not let them on the pre-orders. DON'T TOSS YOUR PLACE IN LINE UNTIL YOU HAVE DRIVEN THE Z! You have options even after taking delivery of your Z. You WON'T be sorry!
Attached Thumbnails I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!-bill_z.jpg  

Quick Reply: I'm Coming Across a ' MAJOR ' Dilema.....!