Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 2006 Base 6spd and lovin it

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM
deprived...Not

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2006 Base 6spd and lovin it

Just went past the break-in point. (Yes we followed the guidelines religiously.) I really like the car, so far. A couple of questions: Anything special we need to watch such as RPMs? Does the fuel cut off at 7,000rpm or can you really fry the engine by over-revving? I had it up to 5,000r today for the first time...it's niiice. From reading other posts, I take it that 5,000r doesn't do too much damage, right? unless I hit a tree whilst watching the tach. Any advice or comments welcome. I do have some rear diff whine the dealer will say is normal. And then there's the oil useage issue. Early on I thought it was using oil, but last time I checked it was making oil. My wife is probably messin wit me.

Oh yea, we know not to drive it in the snow. I'm really going to try to make it a fair weather car only anyway.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:42 PM
f00man88

5k?? thats nothing. Just respect the car, It may not seem powerful, Me as alot of other people learned that the hard way. this car can be very unforgiving in certain situations and puts more then enough power to the ground for things to get very ugly very quickly. Be safe have fun and have fun with the car but learn to treat it with respect as it can bite you in the **** .
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
RBlover69

i would say first, understand the car you bought first. There is no harm bringing a car designed for 7k to be brought to 5k. However i wouldnt abuse the car to the point where your reving the car at every stop light. You are the deficiency when it comes to maintaining a cars upkeep. Learn the vehicle and the fact that your watching the tach while normal driving shows that you need more time with the vehicle . Take for instance when u get used to it you can preety much tell the rpm point to shift at for a nice transition by just the feel and sound. The only time im watching or even glance at the tach is during a race. Because you dont wanna peg (that causes stress and embarassment. lol) Oil usage on the revup motor which is the motor you and i have are notorious to use alot of oil. So keep an eye out on that. I dont have any problems but most do. So keep a eye on that. Its known through this forum already get a oil comsumption test from your dealer just o be safe if u suspect anything.

As for driving it in the snow.
Putting sandbags and use blizzaks still wont give u the traction of a 1990 civic in the snow so dont even risk it. Everything the Z is and has actually is a deficiency in the snow . lol. But its ur death wish.

Congrats on the new car. And treat it right. The Z is 80 percent driver 20percent car in my view. lol
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
deprived...Not

Thanks for the quick reply. We'll keep an eye on the oil thing. The dealer has already been notified that he will get the car back if I have to add ANY oil between oil changes. It's a new Japanese car, and at least with the Toyotas we've owned, we should have zero problems. Any idea how much of a whine we should get from the differential? If you have a roadster you'll not notice any, but this is a coupe.

Does this car have a fuel cutoff at redline?

Last edited by deprived...Not; 03-21-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:11 PM
RBlover69

yes to my knowledge there is a fuel cut at redline , i mean isnt that what doesnt allow u to ruin ur motor .
Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Smoked

Yeah it's relatively safe. If you ever go turbo don't pass 6k, I blew up my engine that way.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Smoked
Yeah it's relatively safe. If you ever go turbo don't pass 6k, I blew up my engine that way.
Not true. 6k+ is fine on a turbo Z. Get a good tune.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Car makes a lot of power from 5K on.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM
JAB_06-350Z

Drive it hard with respect.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM
deprived...Not

Thanks. Having lots of fun, but it's going to rain hard for next couple of days. Maybe I'll just wax it again.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f00man88
5k?? thats nothing. Just respect the car, It may not seem powerful, Me as alot of other people learned that the hard way. this car can be very unforgiving in certain situations and puts more then enough power to the ground for things to get very ugly very quickly. Be safe have fun and have fun with the car but learn to treat it with respect as it can bite you in the **** .
Amen to that! The car is a sports car and meant to be driven like one...just dont rag it out LOL...I used to take my revup to redline on the highway allot felt great and alive. But unfortunatly I test drove an 07 and it basically ruined any other year Z for me...LOL so am going tomorrow to get one!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:17 PM
alann

Mine hits 7k at least once a day. You will hit the rev limiter every once in a while. The thing to do is LET OFF as soon as you can. The rev limiter/fuel cut is not what will hurt your motor. When the fuel cuts is causes moving parts in your motor to develope "slack". That "slack" is SNAPPED back every time you fell the jerk,jerk,jerk. That wear and force is what will cause damage if you continue to leave your foot in it while it bangs against the rev limiter. I had a 2000 Mustang (auto) with a NOVI 1000 at 15 pounds of boost. Hit the limiter more than once trying to shift better than the computer (can't be done). I actually became quite aquiainted with the limiter. Just made sure I lifted my right foot as soon as I felt that firs "jerk". Never had any problems at all. Sold the car to a local guy and he is still driving it. No problems after 45000 miles with the blower. Point is ...... it will not hurt you car unless you get excited and leave your foot "in it" while banging the limiter.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:39 PM
DouBLeJ16

5k? Keep on revvin!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:37 AM
deprived...Not

All good info. Thanks. Eventually (right before hell freezes over) my teenage son will talk me into letting him take the Z out. That's why I was wondering about the limiter. He's ridden some motocross so the performance probably won't scare him as much as it should.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 AM
bofa

Drive the **** out of it and watch the oil level. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:55 AM
gothchick

Yeah, drive it like you stole it. I recently read a link stating that will help seat the rings better. Who knows? I followed the manufacture's recommended breakin. Ohhh, and definitely watch the oil. Read this link:

Originally Posted by bofa
BTW, if interested in reading up on an alternative break-in method, check this site out. Pretty interesting.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by gothchick; 03-22-2007 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM
GonZ

Originally Posted by gothchick
Yeah, drive it like you stole it. I recently read a link stating that will help seat the rings better. Who knows? I followed the manufacture's recommended breakin. Ohhh, and definitely watch the oil. Read this link:
That's how I break in my bike, I bought my Z used so I wouldn't know. But I beat the crap out of my bike the first day I had it and it's still running strong with perfect compression at 3500 miles.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 AM
bofa

^I did the same with my 05 ZX-6R... ran like a champ. I actually followed normal break-in on the Z though. I posted the link above on another topic just for information. Maybe that's the way to go on what may be a new Z for me. Of course, no telling what was done in the first 50 miles or so that were on the car.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:24 AM
deprived...Not

Originally Posted by gothchick
I did read this and have heard of this method in cars and airplane engines. When I got the car it was new, but probably had many test drives on it including my own. I ran the RPMs at least to 5,000 (on my test drive) and I assume everyone else did too. After I owned the car, I was VERY careful to follow all mfgrs recommendations, because if there are problems the dealer will try to get out of fixing them under warranty.