Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

has anyone actually paid full price....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone actually paid full price....

Has anyone actually ever paid full price to get the grease streak problem fixed on the window from the dealer?? And how much was it?? I read the how to's, but as touchy as the windows seem to be, i don't really feel comfortable doing this. And if the dealer rips the tint, at least they will replace it. I know i'm beign a puss, but now that it's warm, and the windows are going up and own more ofter, it's really annoying. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 AM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you have the link to the how to's on this problem??? im def gonna do it myself.... this sh$t is annoying.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 AM
Zya123

There's a way to fix the grease problam?????? Is something like that under warranty since I bought my car less then 3 months ago?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 AM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zya123
There's a way to fix the grease problam?????? Is something like that under warranty since I bought my car less then 3 months ago?
yes theres a way to fix it all...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:54 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by boostintt
do you have the link to the how to's on this problem??? im def gonna do it myself.... this sh$t is annoying.
No i don't, I can't find the write up. Someone did one a while back where they just ripped the piece of felt out all together. Ultimatly that would be the best fix, cause apparently it will come back again if you replace it. I wanna find it too cause i want to see if removing it all together caused any window scratches/rattles.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:14 AM
KManZ
Banned

Did they fix this problem in the later model years? I had an 03 and the grease was a fantastic headache! I am planning on getting an 07 and am curious if I will have to deal with this again.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 AM
SteveZ

Default TSB NTB03-029 Grease Mark or Streak on Inside of Door Glass

Originally Posted by halfass872
Has anyone actually ever paid full price to get the grease streak problem fixed on the window from the dealer?? And how much was it??
Should be free if your Z falls in the VIN range, this is a well-known problem that the dealer should take care of for you. My 2003 Z (built Sept 2002, took delivery Nov) had the same problem. IF you have to pay this should IMHO be 1-1.5 hrs maximum, but the dealer has a Warranty Claim avenue to recover their labor, and you want the kit they have to order anyway.

The dealer kit needed for this - one per side. There are stoppers that stand off the glass:

You can see the FSM procedure - click here:
Glasses, Window System and Mirrors

The above is for a V35 Coupe, but once you pull the panel off things are the same in a V33, and I had the same problem in my 2004 Coupe (built Oct 2003).

I did not have the complication of tint on the window added on, that may hurt your chances of getting it done by the dealer, or they won't take responsibility for damage to the tint - which realistically is only fair as they did not apply it. BUT, the window is just lifted out for the procedure, it should only get scratched if they are careless.

NTB03-029 Grease Mark or Streak on Inside of Door Glass
Issued: April 2 2003
Impacts: 2003 350Z (Z33)
Vehicles Built before: March 18, 2003 *note this actually applied to ALL V33's 2003-2005!
VIN: JN1AZ34D(*)31114962. JN1AZ34D(*)31017459

+ the range noted on the TSB itself, includes others in 2005:

At least you know what you're getting into, I'd push hard to get this done under defect/Warranty, even if your initial bumper-to-bumper is done. It's a freakin' DEFECT! All I know is sure ticked me off to find out the problem was still there in the Coupe, Nissan just stuck it to the dealers to fix even though my Coupe was built well after (6 months) the TSB was already issued!

HTH
Old 03-25-2007, 08:59 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by KManZ
Did they fix this problem in the later model years? I had an 03 and the grease was a fantastic headache! I am planning on getting an 07 and am curious if I will have to deal with this again.
This appears to have been fixed after 2005 model year in both the V33 and V35. TSB's I have seen only apply to up through 2005 model year (ALL) for 350Z's.

HTH
Steve
Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM
SteveZ

Default Don't just remove the felt piece!

Originally Posted by halfass872
No i don't, I can't find the write up. Someone did one a while back where they just ripped the piece of felt out all together. Ultimatly that would be the best fix, cause apparently it will come back again if you replace it. I wanna find it too cause i want to see if removing it all together caused any window scratches/rattles.
Don't! See Figures 4-5 above. The kit replaces the original felt with a new "window stabilizer" felt+stoppers, that should tell you it's function is required. Rip out the felt and not replace it, your Window will rattle when down and may even track poorly or get scratched over time.

IF you replace both the felt and install the new stoppers, this will not come back again if it's done right. I have heard people making more than one trip but I suspect in their cases either the tech left in the original felt or slimed the new part, or skipped the stoppers.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:17 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Zya123
Check your sales/purchase agreement. Probably your original owner had 3/36 coverage, so you are out of luck on the 3 years. May have been better, check the papers. Unless you bought it "as-is", which requires signing off on exactly that condition, which is more common for end-of-lease purchase buyouts, you should still be able to get it covered.

Most Nissan dealers won't slap the "as-is" on a used car unless it has higher than normal miles, etc. in which case they normally won't put it on their lot. BMW does this a lot to entice you to buy an extension of an expired warranty, nice (and not a bad idea given the freak show of reliability issues they have).

If you bought it through a private party vs. dealer you're out of full warranty but this is a know defect - I'd take it to the dealer, see what happens. If they know you are aware this has a TSB for the problem, unless they don't want you as a future customer, my guess is they will take care of it. If they refuse, go to another dealer. Does not have to be done where purchased.

In any case, also remember the Powertrain Warranty is transferable and most likely still in effect, which while not covering this problem, comes in very handy for the other know issues like clicking rear axles, synchro problems in the early model trans, etc.

HTH