kaos1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joegengsta
you shoulda baught the RSX
yea
Old 04-03-2007, 05:46 AM
HardTech

Something seems off. I don’t drive a 350z but don’t count on the readout, they have always been wrong in every car I have seen them in. Several people in the explorer forum I visit complain and it never fails the computer read out right wrong. The computer is very conservative on the estimate. If it tells you that you can go 100 miles, you can. Because the car company sees a lawsuit happening if it told you that you could go, but couldn’t. Explorer read outs have been know to be as much as 5 mpg off.

I have for the past 3 years on my truck take the mileage / what I put in. It’s consistent and reliable.

FYI a 95 Explorer is getting better than you

Highest: 27mpg (driving 470 miles non stop at 10pm to 5 am)
Lowest: 12mpg (very, very bad week... but its when I fist noticed a Z )

Normal
23 highway
16 city
19.8 combo

Seriously if the car isn’t pulling 20, I would call it an issue. I would have a fit if I didn’t do better than my 12 year old 150,000 mile explorer that they didn’t care about mpg when it was made

But I am 18 weeks away from finding out

Try figuring it out the way they told you, miles/gallons. If it still comes to the 12 mpg then take it in, it’s kind of uncalled for. I drove the wheels off a GTO one day and still got 13 mpg :/ Anyways, good luck figuring it out.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:58 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HardTech
Something seems off. I don’t drive a 350z but don’t count on the readout, they have always been wrong in every car I have seen them in. The computer is very conservative on the estimate. If it tells you that you can go 100 miles, you can. Because the car company sees a lawsuit happening if it told you that you could go, but couldn’t. Explorer read outs have been know to be as much as 5 mpg off.

Well, I certainly can't dispute your personal experience, but I will share mine.

1) For about the first 3 months (3K miles) I calculated each fillup and compared it to the display. The results were always within 2/10ths MPG. So I now only calculate maybe every 4th-5th fillup. Bottom line: My MPG display is dead on.
2) The DTE and empty signals are very conservative, as you pointed out, for the very liability issues you mentioned. When mine siimply display dashes, I still have 2-2.5 gallons or approx 40 miles, remaining.

I alweays average 22 mpg, or better, so I simply fill up at about 400 miles, and so far I have always had at least a 1.5 gallong safety reserve.

bill
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

My 07 is slowly creeping up to 14mpg! Hopefully it'll get better as I get closer to break in...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Saturated_FaT
My 07 is slowly creeping up to 14mpg! Hopefully it'll get better as I get closer to break in...
You do realize that to get it to display the current mileage performance, you must reset the display?

bill
Old 04-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

Originally Posted by bailey bill
You do realize that to get it to display the current mileage performance, you must reset the display?

bill
Actually just filled up for the first time today, I'll be sure to reset it on my way home.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bill

yeah, i mentioned that a few posts back, but n00bs believe only what they want to.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 AM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by zand02max
Real simple guys, Divide the miles driven by the gallons put in. Thats your MPG!

It doesn't matter how much you have left in the tank, although the more gas you use the more accurate the average will be.

I reset my odo everytime I fill up, write down the miles on the receipt, which has the exact gallons printed, then all you do is take the 'miles' and divide by the 'gallons'. Simple and more accurate than 'the guage'

SZ
Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Black Duck

I get roughly 300 miles on a tank.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Black Duck
I get roughly 300 miles on a tank.
No, you get 300 miles between fill-ups.
Unless you filled it up, then drove it 'til it stalled, you did NOT use a tank-full.

bill
Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Black Duck

No, you get 300 miles between fill-ups.
Unless you filled it up, then drove it 'til it stalled, you did NOT use a tank-full.

bill
Well according to the comp it would probably stall at around 310 - 320. Orange light normally comes on in the 280's.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:54 PM
HDPDZO6

Well according to the comp it would probably stall at around 310 - 320. Orange light normally comes on in the 280's.
Are you refilling 20 gallons at fillups then? Because that's how big the tank is.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
plumpzz

I got 370 miles in about 17.15 gallons. Thats roughly 20mpg. During the winter, I would get around 15MPG. The different blend of gas, lower tire pressures make a huge difference. During peak summer, I get around 22mpg street, 35+mpg highway (70mph, it plummets after that).
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

*shrugs*

I went to tennessee to Deals Gap and the gauge estimated I only got 7 miles per gallon.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Are you refilling 20 gallons at fillups then? Because that's how big the tank is.

Nope - about 16 gallons is all it will ever take, even when I run it in the orange for 20 miles or so.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Zya123

Ok, I have been playing around with the gauge that says how many MPG i get, its really wierd but at 40 MPH It says I get 12.7 MPG that does not sound right?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by Zya123
Ok, I have been playing around with the gauge that says how many MPG i get, its really wierd but at 40 MPH It says I get 12.7 MPG that does not sound right?
Did you reset the calculator before making the observation???
Old 04-03-2007, 04:33 PM
bailey bill

Nope - about 16 gallons is all it will ever take, even when I run it in the orange for 20 miles or so.

Well, if it only take 16 gallons, you have 4 gallons remaining. That means you still have about 80 miles left. Which means you actually get about 400 miles to as tankful. Which is about 20 MPG. Which is about normal!

I fill up at about 400 miles, and I have never put in more than 18.5 gallons. So in the worst case, i still was about 30 miles from empty.

bill
Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwerdna
Yep, your combination of short drives, stop and go, low speeds, lots of idling AND warmup is killing your mileage.

Stop warming it up. You're just wasting gas. Per http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/fueleconomy/ (site is by the Click and Clack guys) "Unless it's below freezing, cars don't need to be warmed up at all. Driving them gently is the best warm up there is. If it's 25 degrees out, you might want to let it warm up for 30 seconds. If it's 10 degrees out, warm it up for a minute. If it's -10 degrees out, move somewhere warmer."

Your speed during the warmup and idling is 0 and that's very likely counting against the average speed on the trip computer. You're also getting 0 mpg during warmup and idling which most definitely is going to count against the trip computer and real world/calculated mpg.

As I said, when CR tested a 05 manual Zr, they also got 14 city in their tests so your # isn't that surprising.

If you're really psycho and want to get really good mileage, you can try some of the insane techniques of hypermilers like this guy http://hybridfest.com/MotherJones.htm. Your route may not be conducive to this though.
Hey man,
First of all, I want to say thanks! Thanks for really trying to help me find an answer to my issues. I really appreciate that, as most just post a sarcastic one-liner.
Secondly, I think you are right. It may be my warm-ups and the damn stop signs everywhere on my daily route. I'm kinda "old skool" so warming up a car to atleast inside the temp range or past "C" is what I've always been told. The whole "oil needs to get pumped up into the main parts from the oil pan" explanation. How is it that new cars do not need to do this?
Lastly, that's what I was wondering. How the avg. speed and mpg are calculated? I noticed that there is a "total drive time" counter as well. If I should reset this and go 100mph would my avg. speed get bumped up? The avg. speed's not as big of a deal to me as the mpg. I came from a 14mpg car (RX8) and was cherishing the thought of a Z because of the posted 20+mpg.
*I know it's a sports car and, as most argue, I should expect, relatively, low mileage. It's just if I can get a few extra miles/gal. who wouldn't want this, no?

Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
phenix

Originally Posted by Zya123

Okay, I think part of the problem here is some of us don't really understand how the computer calculates and more importantly displays the MPG figure.

The avg speed and MPG are directly related on your readout. The computer calculates the amount of fuel spent since the last time you reset it and compares it to the average speed (this is also averaged from the last reset). It then comes up with your MPG. This means it never shows you what MPG you are getting NOW, instead it shows your trend.

This means if you reset the computer and just run in stop and go traffic where you are always either accelerating or idling, you should expect to see a very low figure that will never improve until you get some cruising in. But, if instead you made a one-time highway trip for, let's say 100 miles there and back, and then got back into the daily grind of stop and go your mileage will be skewed higher because of the amount of cruising.

The Z as well as most newish cars will tend to make improvements in fuel mileage as it adds on the miles, so don't be too worried about low fuel mileage on very new cars.

Quick Reply: 13 miles a gallon?????????