Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why so many stupid wrecks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so many stupid wrecks??

I know i posted this earlier as a reply in anotehr post, but i wanted to see if i am the only one that's sick of hearing the "i was just driving along and the car totaled itself" stories? Anyways....

I had the unfortunate experience to have no choice but to drive my Z in the snow last Monday. I was visiting friends in West VA, and i should of checked the weather. Sunday morning when i was gonna leave, horrible rains washed out the road i had to go down to leave, so i stayed and extra day and called out of work. Only to wake Monday morning to about 100 miles of snow covered unplowed twisy mountain roads. About 6" of it. I had no choice, i had to get home that day. All i could think of was all the posts we saw this winter of people totaling their Z's in only a little snow, and everyone saying DO NOT DRIVE YOUR Z IN SNOW. But i had no choice. Long story short, i was just super carefull, stayed off the brakes, and rev matched every downshift, and i made it fine. I wish i had taken pics, 'cause it was aweful. Esp for somone from Va Beach who has very little snow driving experience. Aside from the car being dirty as hell, all was well. That's when i was suddenly amazed at how many people just "happen" to spin out at 20MPH, etc. Why wont people just say they were F&^king off. If you respect the car, it will respect you back. I cannot think of any worse condition to have the Z in, then steep freshly snow covered mountain roads, and i didn't spontaneously spin out for no reason at any point.
I'm not claiming to be mr. super driver here, but i really feel that alot of these type of accidents could be avoided if a little common sense is used, and people would be aware of their soroundings more.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:17 PM
cessna

Alot of Canadian G/Z drivers drive theirs all year long, safely
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Tubbs

People can't drive. There is no way the Z should be in as many accidents as it is. It's a very stable, predictable car. It's not the car, it's not the tires, it's not the roads and it's not god. It's you. Admit you fcuked up. People just don't take responsibility. And you can't learn if you don't think you have a problem.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM
RJ_KC

i grew up driving camaros/mustangs in the midwest and unless i got stupid i rarely if ever had trouble driving during a good ol midwest winter.

and thus far ive yet to have any difficulties driving in the rain with stock tires...just take it easy and drive smart.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
People can't drive. There is no way the Z should be in as many accidents as it is. It's a very stable, predictable car. It's not the car, it's not the tires, it's not the roads and it's not god. It's you. Admit you fcuked up. People just don't take responsibility. And you can't learn if you don't think you have a problem.
now i know there a few Z drivers who will argue that their Z's just lost control without any rhyme or reason. just driving along and their Z's just fish tailed.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Nexx
now i know there a few Z drivers who will argue that their Z's just lost control without any rhyme or reason. just driving along and their Z's just fish tailed.
+1000 My point exactly!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Nexx

I love that line. "I was just driving along..." LOL.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
lightner22

It's almost impossible for people to admit that they messed up. Out of the hundreds of accidents I've responded on, I'd guess maybe a dozen admitted that they made an error that caused the accident. It's sad, but apparantly it's human nature.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe this is a stupid question but can one buy snow tires for the Z to be used in winter? I've been in Arizona since 92 but lived in NY before that. When winter came snow tires were used regularly. Driving a car in snow without them is a hairy proposition, regardless of the make and model. You slip and slide all over the place and braking is pure hell, mostly prayers and little control.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 PM
lightner22

I have WS-50 blizzaks and have no problems in snow so long as it is not too deep.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by trains1937
Maybe this is a stupid question but can one buy snow tires for the Z to be used in winter? I've been in Arizona since 92 but lived in NY before that. When winter came snow tires were used regularly. Driving a car in snow without them is a hairy proposition, regardless of the make and model. You slip and slide all over the place and braking is pure hell, mostly prayers and little control.

I personally had no probs on stocks, but... get 225/245's in these for winter

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/tires/...pe=PW&cat=PASS

Nothing better. Not Blizzaks... nothing.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
deviantZ

I agree with the OP, it's all a bunch of crap.

I bought my Z in Jacksonville, during a tropical storm. And proceeded to enjoy the car, in the torrent. No probs at all. I think it chocks up the experience, tbh, I had come from a Ford Ranger, which I drove for 10 years. Now obviosly the Ranger didn't have anywhere near the power, but it was a manual and had an extremely light rear end, which I was used to driving(whipping) around in FL downpours. To me, I think wet weather driving is very natural for the Z, as an all around sport/touring vehicle, and think it suits the need very well. All this my car went crazy-ness is crap.

I live on a corner lot, and constantly hear people in their automatic SUV's and cars, squealing out, for no apperent reason, rain or shine. It's like they just stomp the gas pedal to make the car go, without the first thought of using a little finesse. I have a feeling there are more than a few people that drive Z's that way.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-23-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because we have young douches like these buying our cars. I will now go stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver.

Why so many stupid wrecks??-wiggers.jpg
Old 04-23-2007, 04:25 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
Because we have young douches like these buying our cars. I will now go stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver.

Attachment 142886
+1 Down with the douches!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered how many were cause by people turning off their traction control to get "maximum power to the wheels".
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
I've always wondered how many were cause by people turning off their traction control to get "maximum power to the wheels".

People had been driving without traction control for decades. Personally, I could do without.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:37 PM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
And the sad part is that if you know how to drive the car with a little technique, you can get nearly all of your torque out of the car with the VDC on. Obviously, you can't try to powershift at 6500rpm's to do it, but you can get close to 6000 without VDC killing the rears.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM
drivenCSZ

OP were you on OEM tires?

if so, you may be careful and a great driver and thankfully you made it but i dont care how good a driver you are in those kind of conditions you're bound to either eat it or get stuck. With snows on thats a different story, love my wintersports.

i swear those goofs in their SUVS had to be looking at me like i was crazy as I was passing them on the road this winter.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
OP were you on OEM tires?

if so, you may be careful and a great driver and thankfully you made it but i dont care how good a driver you are in those kind of conditions you're bound to either eat it or get stuck. With snows on thats a different story, love my wintersports.

i swear those goofs in their SUVS had to be looking at me like i was crazy as I was passing them on the road this winter.
Yeah they were OEM. That's another reason i though for sure i was a gonner, lol. I wish i had stopped to take pics, i really shouldn't of even attempted it. I am truely very impressed with the car, as usual it far exceeded my expectations. I'm sure VDC helped alot too. If i were a base model, i'd prob not be here today.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
TheGest

the base model is dangerous if you dont have experieance handling 300hp rwd sports car, atleast the enthu you get the TSA

Quick Reply: Why so many stupid wrecks??