Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z+Rain=stay home?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
microd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rain is not a problem. I drive in the rain. What Bill said... Z is very stable.

For a lot of people... driving in the rain is a problem in any car. They drive like the grounds not wet.

If you got no common sense... it'll cost you. yah.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:54 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
I don't drive my Z when the clouds get dark. This garage queen stays home when it rains. I like to keep my car clean. As for safety, there's nothing wrong with driving the Z in wet weather.
+1
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
TheGest

dont gas it too hard, accelerate slowly, and have traction control and you should be okay
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

just drive slow. why would you drive fast on a rainy day?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:42 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeddemon69
can this car be driven in the rain in stock form and stock tires? Everyone here makes it seem like the car is not drivable in the rain. here in south florida it rains often but dont want a car that is no good in the rain.
A 350z is definitely driveable in the rain. In the city where I live is an istmus (narrow piece of land) so the weather can change extremely quickly, and rain very heavily, no problems driving a 350z in the rain thus far & long may it stay that way. I'm not personally a fan of the Potenza's stock tyres full stop.

Originally Posted by deviantZ
It is a must that you adjust you driving style for rain, and I don't think a lot of people adjust, but that is true for ALL vehicles. Also, it something like the first 20minutes or something or a shower are the most dangerous, because the rain makes mud out of whatever junk(dirt/oil/etc) is on the roadway.
Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by NewZland
don't go for pole position in the rain
+ 1
Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Seyfi1

lost controll of my car in the rain last friday cause of a bunny and hit the back rim against the curb. they brake loose easily on wet surfaces
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
I1DER

Rain? It doesn't rain where I live. We call it liquid sunshine. Here, we're so used to it that people complain if they ever have to water their grass.

One of the most beautiful sights is through the rear view mirror of the Z at 75 mph on a wet road. Seeing the jet trail of water curling behind you because of the Zs aerodynamics is awesome. I love the Z in a light rain.

I have 21K miles on stock tires and haven't skidded yet with TC/VDC on. The light has gone off a couple times on S turns, yellow-signed for 10-20 mph(I may have been speeding a little ).

Most problems obviously come from undue acceleration in corners and breaking it loose. Having wide tires does make hydroplaning more likely if you hit standing water, and I will upgrade to better tires for that with the next set.

Rain? All the way. Snow? No go with stock tires and hills. +1 TC, +2 VDC
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Malikot
Rice Rocket

No problems with rain here in MD =]
Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM
absolute00matt

It sux, when u drive slow in the rain to be safe and cars behind u start honking like there's no tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
zipgun

If and when I do drive in the rain its no problem at all, only prob for me is the black paint vs rainspots.... ugh
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
kPaNdA350

Originally Posted by xtremez350
i just leave my vdc on and take it easy. If you drive like a normal person in the rain you will be fine. I think these people crash cuz they are screwin around cuz its slick out.
+1 i try not to drive when its raining, but if you drive carefully its fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by absolute00matt
It sux, when u drive slow in the rain to be safe and cars behind u start honking like there's no tomorrow.

It does, but just think of it as payback for all those GD Minivans and SUVs getting in your way on sunny days, just hanging out on the inside lane. You have to get your retribution anyway you can.

Oh, and don't forget to change lanes for no FN reason at all. I do that sometimes if I see a minivan catching up to me from far enough away.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-23-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by deviantZ
It does, but just think of it as payback for all those GD Minivans and SUVs getting in your way on sunny days, just hanging out on the inside lane. You have to get your retribution anyway you can.

Oh, and don't forget to change lanes for no FN reason at all. I do that sometimes if I see a minivan catching up to me from far enough away.
If others use that logic, most of us will get blamed for what a few fools with Zs do.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Checkmate58

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drifted the car on the crappy tires in the rain the first month I had the car accidentally. Whatever happens, if you feel like you're losing traction, DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKES! Take your foot off the gas and wait for the tires to grip again.

--Sam
Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM
doskiez

The Z is my daily driver and i have never had a problem in the rain. Just go easy on the controls and leave vdc on if you have it.... youll be fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Fletch69z

It's fine.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Bevo

OEM RE040 isn't great in rain, but if you dont drive crazy then you will be just fine
Old 04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
SS21CA

Cars are engineered to be driven rain or shine, people say the tires on the Z suck, but it doesn’t mean they aren’t good. It just means they want a higher performance tire that better suits them and their driving dynamics. In fact the Z is one of the safer cars out there even with stock tires.

No matter what you drive, when it is raining, you have to use caution at all times, especially since the roads are wet and you want to maintain stability. It seems like you haven’t spent enough time behind the wheel of your car. You have to understand how the car handles at all times, in order to know your limits and how the car reacts to different situations.

Being a rear wheel drive car you have to be careful not to floor it, and to take it easy on turns. If you have VDC (which I hope you do), this is a safety net to help you maintain stability in emergency situations. I'm not sure how much you know about the safety technology built into the Z, but I'd research it not only for your own knowledge but for future reference when car shopping.

I personally love to drive in the rain, like I1DER said, "Seeing the jet trail of water curling behind you because of the Zs aerodynamics is awesome." You just have to know your limits and stay safe at all times.

In conclusion, some people can’t drive for **** rain or shine. If you are not comfortable driving in the rain, then avoid it. Just know that the Z is a well balanced car and it was engineered and spec'd to handle rain with the stock tires. Although they are not the best tires on the market, they can handle driving in the rain, you can always upgrade if you'd like. IMO, as long as your car is well maintained, and the tires have the proper amount of thread on them you should be safe. Just drive responsibly.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 PM
justonce85

if u drive normal it's fine and safety,

if u drive little crazy in rain with VDC and LSD it says "no,no,no relax man!!"
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 PM
keosh

Well personaly when it rains i try not to drive one its easy to lose controle but if u drive carefully and smart your ok but the reason i stay home is cuz i have an injen Intake which comes all the way to my front grille and well that gets water into my engine and messes up my filter

Quick Reply: 350z+Rain=stay home?