Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z+Rain=stay home?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Speeddemon69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z+Rain=stay home?

can this car be driven in the rain in stock form and stock tires? everyone here makes it seem like the car is not drivable in the rain. here in south florida it rains often but dont want a car that is no good in the rain. I hear about people losing control when hitting a puddle at normal speeds, is this true? i am coming from a car that is fwd, so i know i got to get used to rwd again, but i dont want to drive at like 20mph in light rain either. i had a 240sx and you had to be careful at what speeds you were taking a turn at with wet roads you had to be more careful in the rain thats all. so let me know how you guys rate the Z as a daily driver overall, rain and all.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

I don't drive my Z when the clouds get dark. This garage queen stays home when it rains. I like to keep my car clean. As for safety, there's nothing wrong with driving the Z in wet weather.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
NewZland

People like to complain a lot about how bad the car handles in the rain, but honestly it's not that bad. It's just like any other car, you have to take it easier in the rain. water is slippery, imagine that. But yeah, don't worry about it, the car handles fine in the rain. I have never had any problems in the rain in my Z but i also don't go for pole position in the rain either.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM
xtremez350

i just leave my vdc on and take it easy. If you drive like a normal person in the rain you will be fine. I think these people crash cuz they are screwin around cuz its slick out.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

i drive it in the rain with the vdc on or off. dont matter to me, i dont tokyo driftLOL in the rain though. I know the limits and dont push it so to say.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

im in NY and i have driven my Z in rain many times... if you know wut ur doing ull be fine.... also if u have VDC and LSD... that helps a lot too....
Old 04-23-2007, 04:07 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Speeddemon69
can this car be driven in the rain in stock form and stock tires? everyone here makes it seem like the car is not drivable in the rain. here in south florida it rains often but dont want a car that is no good in the rain. I hear about people losing control when hitting a puddle at normal speeds, is this true? i am coming from a car that is fwd, so i know i got to get used to rwd again, but i dont want to drive at like 20mph in light rain either. i had a 240sx and you had to be careful at what speeds you were taking a turn at with wet roads you had to be more careful in the rain thats all. so let me know how you guys rate the Z as a daily driver overall, rain and all.

Read this, lol...
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/266374-why-so-many-stupid-wrecks.html
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
hwcustoms

I leave it in the garage when it looks like it could even rain. I have got caught out a couple of times and never had an issue, but would not want to make it a habbit. I am sure it would be fine as long as you don't dive in the gas.

Last edited by hwcustoms; 04-23-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:14 PM
deviantZ

IMO, the 350z performs like a champ in the rain. I'm originally from North Florida, bought my Z during a tropical storm, no probs. I certainly don't agree with the notion that the Z's performance characteristics drastically drop during rain.

I think alot of people just freak our once the first droplet hits the windshield, you can see it out there on the roads. It's like half their brains leak out through their ears.

It is a must that you adjust you driving style for rain, and I don't think a lot of people adjust, but that is true for ALL vehicles. Also, it something like the first 20minutes or something or a shower are the most dangerous, because the rain makes mud out of whatever junk(dirt/oil/etc) is on the roadway. Once the grime washes off, the roads perform much better. I personally prefer to drive most agressively after a good rain, while the road is still slightly damp, and clean.

My Z is my daily driver, sunshine/rain/snow, not so much as a close call yet. Respect the car's abilities, and it will get you wherever safe.

Oh and the stockies do suck overall, but they really aren't as bad as many people let on.

Note: My opinions are based on a VDC equipped vehicle.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-23-2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:17 PM
pimpsta

Just be easy on the gas, brakes, and clutch if you have one. And depending on how much tires you got left, don't do anything too sudden. Lastly, don't turn off your TDC/VCD.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
push

NEVER had a problem with my z on the rain, with and without OEM tires.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find my Z to be one of the most stable sports cars in the rain tht I have ever owned.

Its hard to break it loose, even if yu try.

bill
Old 04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
NGZ

How safe the Z is in the rain depends largely on how you drive. If you know how your car behaves, you can use common sense to make sure you don't drive the car beyond its limits. If you are adventurous, you could take your car out to somewhere safe the next time it rains, and figure out what your car's limits are.

That's what I did with my old beater in an open parking lot, to try to figure out how it would behave in the snow. It didn't take long to figure out how to keep things under control when the wheels started slipping. After that session I accidentally drifted across an intersection making a 90 degree turn lol.

But I believe these experiences saved me from a wreck a few months ago. I was driving a Honda CRV in heavy rain while talking to someone. It slipped my mind that I was driving in the rain, and I was taking a corner as if the road was dry. The CRV started sliding, but thankfully I managed to keep in control. Had I slammed on the brakes, it would have been a bad ending.

Be very gentle. A heavy foot will hurt you.

Last edited by NGZ; 04-23-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
drivenCSZ

over 4 years Daily driving, no problems in the rain on the stock potenzas.

you just can't be stupid...dont be going WOT on 90 degree turns.

cold and rainy(below 50 degrees) and you have to be extra careful but in FLA you shouldnt have too many of those days.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Tubbs

Yes you may drive it in the rain. But, if you can't drive... don't drive it in the rain.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Casperican01

In the rain...not a problem...in the snow....PROBLEM! ***ESPECIALLY*** if you dont have a LSD or traction control. If thats the case...stay home. Trust me!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:42 PM
koreanwith350z

er.. i drive the z in the rain more then half the year..

FYI--- OREGON EQUALS RAIN...performs like a true sports car!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
TurboTrey

It's not a motorcycle, it's a car.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Fluid1

If you have any doubt in your mind that you won't be able to completely control yourself and your vehicle at any time during your trip, do not get in the vehicle.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Fluid1
If you have any doubt in your mind that you won't be able to completely control yourself and your vehicle at any time during your trip, do not get in the vehicle.

well said. get a bus pass.

Quick Reply: 350z+Rain=stay home?