Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:55 AM
neeferea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)

So I was driving my car, downshifting. And suddenly friend of mine screamed, “You are going to ruin your transmission driving like this”.

In order to downshift I rev match by depressing the clutch, then selecting new gear, bringing up RPM to what they have to be and then while I am still on gas at I let the clutch go. I have been driving like this for 3 years now. And now he is telling me that it is not right.

Any comments?
Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 AM
C Dubs

I think your friend needs schooled on manual transmissions!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:59 AM
C Dubs

As long as your matching the revs its no problem, it's the only way to go at the track.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 AM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by neeferea
So I was driving my car, downshifting. And suddenly friend of mine screamed, “You are going to ruin your transmission driving like this”.

In order to downshift I rev match by depressing the clutch, then selecting new gear, bringing up RPM to what they have to be and then while I am still on gas at I let the clutch go. I have been driving like this for 3 years now. And now he is telling me that it is not right.

Any comments?

Your friend eats glue.

/thread
Old 04-27-2007, 04:11 AM
timmywick

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Your friend eats glue.

/thread
Heyyyyy....I like glue. It holds me together sometimes!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Spoolin Z

You and your friend are both wrong actually.

Both you and your friend will wear your syncros by rev matching that way. In order to properly rev match a downshift to put no wear on your syncros you should:

1. Press in the clutch
2. Select neutral
3. Release the clutch
4. Blip the throttle
5. Press in the clutch
6. Select the gear
7. Release the clutch

You can do this within a fraction of a second with some practice. I taught my girlfriend to do this over a year ago and its made her downshifting much smoother.

Your way is better than his because its smoother, however you're still causing your syncros to do some work. If you do your method while braking, its not as bad (many road racers will do this because its the fastest way to slow down). Of course true road racers only care about their tranny lasting for the race they're currently in.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:19 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought it was pointless to double clutch with our tranny?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Spoolin Z

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
I thought it was pointless to double clutch with our tranny?
Its "pointless" if you don't care about your syncros. They're designed to rev match for you. They'll wear out and your gears will start to grind at 75k+ miles of driving. So if you don't expect to keep your car longer than that, it won't really matter.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

How about you just don't downshift and use your brakes. I believe a new pair of pads is slightly cheaper than a transmission/clutch/syncro.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:51 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by Spoolin Z
Its "pointless" if you don't care about your syncros. They're designed to rev match for you. They'll wear out and your gears will start to grind at 75k+ miles of driving. So if you don't expect to keep your car longer than that, it won't really matter.
Hehe... I wonder if I could have double clutched racing that cammed evo and saved my 5th gear Stupid T-56 synchros...grrrrr
Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Fluid1

Both you and your friend will wear your syncros by rev matching that way. In order to properly rev match a downshift to put no wear on your syncros you should:

1. Press in the clutch
2. Select neutral
3. Release the clutch
4. Blip the throttle
5. Press in the clutch
6. Select the gear
7. Release the clutch

You can do this within a fraction of a second with some practice. I taught my girlfriend to do this over a year ago and its made her downshifting much smoother.

Your way is better than his because its smoother, however you're still causing your syncros to do some work. If you do your method while braking, its not as bad (many road racers will do this because its the fastest way to slow down). Of course true road racers only care about their tranny lasting for the race they're currently in.
Wrong. Clutch is pressed in only once, new gear selected, throttle blip, released. That's what I do road racing.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 AM
C Dubs

Originally Posted by Escobar
How about you just don't downshift and use your brakes. I believe a new pair of pads is slightly cheaper than a transmission/clutch/syncro.
+1 I don't see the point in downshifting on a regular basis
Old 04-27-2007, 06:55 AM
hardrock905

1. Press in the clutch
2. Select neutral
3. Release the clutch
4. Blip the throttle
5. Press in the clutch
6. Select the gear
7. Release the clutch

Did you pull this info from your favorite F&F website?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by C Dubs
+1 I don't see the point in downshifting on a regular basis
I don't do it much on the street. Usually only when racing. Sometimes on off ramps.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I don't do it much on the street. Usually only when racing. Sometimes on off ramps.

Downshifting is fun, sounds good and smoothness. And i'm going to call bs on the double clutching.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 AM
dubbzdiggler

Step 3 isn't necessary, you can keep the clutch depressed...start braking, press in clutch, roll your ankle over, which blips the gas, down shift to second or whatever gear you want, and then hit the gas and let the clutch out...it's simple.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:21 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Wrong. Clutch is pressed in only once, new gear selected, throttle blip, released. That's what I do road racing.
Actually, shouldn't you blip the throttle to rev match before selecting the new gear? guess it doesn't matter that much as long as the revs are match before the clutch is released...

+1 on double clutching being unneccessary; that's what synchros are FOR. As long as you rev match, you'll get nice, long life out of the synchros.

As for the OP's explained method, he describes it as "bringing up RPM to what they have to be and then while I am still on gas at I let the clutch go". You should really just blip the throttle and release it, then let out the clutch and re-apply the throttle simultaneously as the RPMs drop to the target range. Takes practice, but it'll make for quicker, smoother downshifts going into a corner.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM
ArrumnDark

So, which is it?

Is double-clutching necessary?
What I've always done (no 350Z yet... but eventually ) is...

Clutch in
Select lower gear
Blip throttle
Clutch out

Unless I was downshifting for the sake of going faster, in which case my old Celica was perfect... the RPM's would jump if you were at full throttle before hitting the clutch (releasing the throttle of course).
I'm sure it wasn't because I suck, as most Celica owners reported the "problem" - but, in reallity, that jump in RPM put you spot-on for the next gear down.. no rev-matching needed. Just full throttle in current gear, downshift, and jump on the throttle. It was perfect
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM
coreapoc

there is absolutely no point to double clutching.

1 - clutch in
2 - out of gear
3 - pop the throttle some
4 - shift into lower gear
5 - release clutch

gd people acting like they know **** or something.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Actually, shouldn't you blip the throttle to rev match before selecting the new gear? guess it doesn't matter that much as long as the revs are match before the clutch is released...

+1 on double clutching being unneccessary; that's what synchros are FOR. As long as you rev match, you'll get nice, long life out of the synchros.
I usually make sure that the shifter is fully in the gate before I blip the throttle to prevent grindage and lock out.

Clutch in, shift, blip, release clutch.

I'll try and find some in-car videos of when I was racing at Carolina Motorsports Park two weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)