Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Protecting the car on a road trip...blue tape

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is the Z's softer paint or front end angle. I have owned my Firebird for years and only have a couple chips in it.

The first week I owned my Z around here I have two on the Z. I knew unless I wanted to paint my front end every year I'd have to do something for my baby to protect her on the truck rock throwing roads I have around here. One stretch on road I've replaced 4-5 windshields from trucks throwing rocks out the sides. I always try to place another car between me and a truck traveling down these freeways. But, it doesn't always work when your being pushed my traffic. I then try to get by quickly and many time window chip or dents come up. I have a dent in my door from one of those turkeys spitting one out the side.

I just love keeping my cars looking like new. I know most people could car less. However, it doesn't matter if it's my Sable, Pinto or my 350Z I still hate door dings and rock chips...... But, when I get them I touch them up the best I can and move on now. Before I'd have to repaint the panel.

This is an example of how good my Truck looks after 10 years on a cheap paint job with proper care:

Name:  DSC07309.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  179.6 KB

Unfortunately, she has a small rock chip in the window right now. Free to fix under my insurance.

Small price to pay to have a cherry truck.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 05-11-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 AM
drewb612

well i dont have much options....the Z is my DD and im going back to boston for the summer and can only afford to ship it down. Also i dont feel like buying a bra for it because it will seldom be used, i understand the car will get some wear and tear. If i can cut even a bit of that down for $20 then its no big deal......

soooo will the tape damage the paint?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 AM
z-u-later

The blue carpenter's tape will not damage your paint. I have used it on my door panel for auto-x. I have also used it on my front spoiler since it does not have clear bra yet. The rest of my car has clear bra (bumper, hood, headlights, etc.). If you don't want to use the vinyl bra, the carpenter's tape will work. Make sure you also cover the headlights. Replacing one will be expensive.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:20 AM
SargentZ

Originally Posted by ZESUS-C
I really cant understand how you buy a 30k plus car, then gawk at the possibility of simply re-painting the front end after a couple years. Jesus! blue tape, saran wrap, a bra? I can see if you have a $10k candy paint job and your driving to a show 400 miles away, but lets be real folks this is not an Enzo were talking about here. Nomatter how long the road trip is.

some people like nice things and want them to stay nice. I treat my Z as if it were worth 100K. I don't see a problem with that.