Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC tried to kill me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:48 PM
kaizenro1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marge, the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:04 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like something went wrong somewhere.... but who knows what it was. I wasn't there so I'm not going to be so quick to jump on the "pilot error" bandwagon.

If he was in complete control... with little reason for the vdc to kick in... you would think it definitely should not have CAUSED loss of control even IF he was to blame... that's what it's supposed to help prevent...

Then again I don't have vdc or tcs(nor would I want either)... and in over 3 years of ***** to the wall driving(I've taken my fair share of sweepers at 130mph)... I've never once had any unexpected results from the car....

If the story is completely accurate... it definitely sounds weird to me...

halfway through the turn was probably the apex? were you going too fast and lifted off the throttle??
Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
..., I doubt that VDC was to blame. I'd put my money on "it saved you", not "killed you".
Yup...what he said!

bill
Old 05-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Yup...what he said!

bill

so you'd be out money too then
Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I1DER

Once you break loose in a corner, the VDC will kick in, shouldn't happen before. At 80 it must have been a little exciting on a tight twisty. Lots of trees in BC.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by I1DER
Once you break loose in a corner, the VDC will kick in, shouldn't happen before. At 80 it must have been a little exciting on a tight twisty. Lots of trees in BC.

It was exciting. Because I was constantly driving with the beautiful sound of squeeling tires for hours in those tight twisties, I guess VDC had enough, lol. And nothing like feeling you're NOT in control of your car... and it's decided to drive for you.

VDC goes off from now on.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Fluid1

Undecided
Old 05-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Fluid1

Undecided

And I understand. Heck you don't know me, and my skillz... nor is this an occurance that happens regularily.

The fact of the matter is though, VDC thought something was wrong when there wasn't, and tried to "save me" by applying brakes and cutting fuel in the midst of a corner.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Fluid1

I hear you. Anything that you're not expecting that happens in a corner when you are pushing it (at least) 8/10 is going to make my nipples stand up and beg
Old 05-28-2007, 03:30 PM
michaeljr6

waiting for next thread from tubbs, "VDC won, my Z is totaled"
Old 05-28-2007, 03:34 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
...I wasn't "scared"....
In your own words from your first post: "I got back in, scared shiatless, and "
Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I wonder if he knows the computer for VDC will know if a tire starts to slide before he knows.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:43 PM
evolved326

It was exciting. Because I was constantly driving with the beautiful sound of squeeling tires for hours in those tight twisties, I guess VDC had enough, lol. And nothing like feeling you're NOT in control of your car... and it's decided to drive for you.

VDC goes off from now on.
MAybe VDC was off all the time? I take one corner and when i expect the tires to squeel and it doesnt, I know the VDC is working right away. You were driving in the twisties for hours with "with the beautiful sound of squeeling tires ". By the time the incident happened, how can you still say that you forgot to turn it off? You would have surely felt the difference. Glad that you are ok though.

Not to discredit you, but I notice VDC working in regular everyday driving.

Last edited by evolved326; 05-28-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
In your own words from your first post: "I got back in, scared shiatless, and "

after i got back in the car, yes.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by evolved326
MAybe VDC was off all the time? I take one corner and when i expect the tires to squeel and it doesnt, I know the VDC is working right away. You were driving in the twisties for hours with "with the beautiful sound of squeeling tires ". By the time the incident happened, how can you still say that you forgot to turn it off? You would have surely felt the difference. Glad that you are ok though.

Not to discredit you, but I notice VDC working in regular everyday driving.

Nope. slip light doesn't come on if VDC is off, nor do the brakes come on by themselves.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Tubbs- Not arguing at all, but posting so that other readers don't mistakenly think VDC doesn't work. You described what happened, and I'll take your word for it (although your account does not match my experiences with VDC). You have slightly changed your account within your additional posts to your thread, so there is a minor loss of credibility.

My experiences with VDC have all been positive. I've only had it activate twice, and both times I was thankful I had the device helping me (prevented me from hitting the guard rail). BTW: I'm older so I was raised on RWD and know how to counter-steer and escape a skid.

When VDC activated (in my two experiences) I could hear and feel ABS working (as Dave also mentions) as VDC selected the wheel(s) requiring braking to straighten the car so it aligned with the front wheels. There was never the "when about half way through my rear brakes locked up" occurence you mention. It is essential that TCS is part of VDC because VDC activates braking under ABS control. If the driver kept applying power, VDC would not be able to contol the car. TCS to the rescue.

But the scenario you describe is different from what I believe VDC is designed for. I doubt that VDC was ever meant to be used when hitting tightening curves at 80 mph. So you're right on that point. When driving like you were (and I admit doing the same), my instinct is that VDC should be OFF. In the situation you describe, it is likely there would be some minor slippage. You may not notice it, but VDC will. VDC is far more sensitive than are your driver instincts and "feel." And, when VDC detects slippage, it goes to work. The first thing happening is TCS cutting power, and within a hundreth of a second, VDC begins applying braking to the appropriate wheel(s). The brakes (under ABS control) will not lock-up.

Possibly another Forum member can help here. The Question:
VDC is certainly intended for normal driving and speeds. But, is VDC also meant for high speed driving with rigorous maneuvers?

--Spike
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM
evolved326

Nope. slip light doesn't come on if VDC is off, nor do the brakes come on by themselves.
Sorry I am slow so bare with me. You accidently left VDC on. All that mad driving with tire squeeling and the VDC never kicked in. You hit a certain corner after hours of tire squeeling and this is when VDC finally goes crazy?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Spike100
Tubbs- Not arguing at all, but posting so that other readers don't mistakenly think VDC doesn't work. You described what happened, and I'll take your word for it (although your account does not match my experiences with VDC). You have slightly changed your account within your additional posts to your thread, so there is a minor loss of credibility.

My experiences with VDC have all been positive. I've only had it activate twice, and both times I was thankful I had the device helping me (prevented me from hitting the guard rail). BTW: I'm older so I was raised on RWD and know how to counter-steer and escape a skid.

When VDC activated (in my two experiences) I could hear and feel ABS working (as Dave also mentions) as VDC selected the wheel(s) requiring braking to straighten the car so it aligned with the front wheels. There was never the "when about half way through my rear brakes locked up" occurence you mention. It is essential that TCS is part of VDC because VDC activates braking under ABS control. If the driver kept applying power, VDC would not be able to contol the car. TCS to the rescue.

But the scenario you describe is different from what I believe VDC is designed for. I doubt that VDC was ever meant to be used when hitting tightening curves at 80 mph. So you're right on that point. When driving like you were (and I admit doing the same), my instinct is that VDC should be OFF. In the situation you describe, it is likely there would be some minor slippage. You may not notice it, but VDC will. VDC is far more sensitive than are your driver instincts and "feel." And, when VDC detects slippage, it goes to work. The first thing happening is TCS cutting power, and within a hundreth of a second, VDC begins applying braking to the appropriate wheel(s). The brakes (under ABS control) will not lock-up.

Possibly another Forum member can help here. The Question:
VDC is certainly intended for normal driving and speeds. But, is VDC also meant for high speed driving with rigorous maneuvers?

--Spike

I don't think I've changed my story except when I said brakes locked up. They were "locked up" as much as much as ABS will allow.

I grew up with a 454 camaro, my 440 68 charger, an old AMC Javelin and a 340 70 Road runner. I also had a 91 talon tsi and my first car was a modded 88 daytona Shelby. I am familiar with many types of vehicles, most of which were more powerful than the 350.

There probably was a hint of slippage at the back, something which is easily controlled without electronics.

As for having VDC on, well sometimes you forget to turn it off. :/
Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by evolved326
Sorry I am slow so bare with me. You accidently left VDC on. All that mad driving with tire squeeling and the VDC never kicked in. You hit a certain corner after hours of tire squeeling and this is when VDC finally goes crazy?

yes. and the corner was not unique, and my speed was well within reason (gf and her car-sick dog) were with me.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
The Question:

--Spike
Obviously, it works as intended for normal driving. But by definition, it's supposed to "work" when the out-of-normal situations arise.

If you go back to the original Nissan sales and promo material for 350Z, it certainly seemed like VDC was something for the track, i.e. spirited driving.

I've had it kick in twice on me, both times on a road course. Both times, it saved me from doing something stupid - going into a decreasing radius turn too fast and braking. Both times, the front brake(s) pulsed for a second.

I've accidently left it turned on during autocrossing and have been surprised that it didn't kick in. Then again, although the wheels were spinning and sliding, I was in control so I assume it saw no reason to stop me.

Quick Reply: VDC tried to kill me!