2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC tried to kill me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NGZ
Attachment 148091
When I looked into this some time ago, I found that some people wire a switch serially on the Orange wire (to cut power to the yaw sensor). If I remember correctly, doing this also makes the Slip light come on. But the result is that the VDC/ABLS system doesn't get any input from the yaw sensor, and this puts the task of cornering entirely in your hands.
I'm about to do that on mine too.

Do we know anybody who has done that ? Does cutting power to the sensors disable it the same way unplugging the sensor does ?

There might be a difference between a no signal from unplugging and a faulty signal from no power only.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
03BrickyardZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the reason for this also... I switched to Toyo Proxes T1Rs in the rear (245/45-r18) and since then VDC kicks in with some mild braking during sweeping RH turns. It sounds like a rumble strip, and feels like I hit the brakes for a moment.

It has only happened on right handers (so far), and only 3 or 4 times. But It has happened at times when there was no loss of traction (not even squealing the tires), and I was not going excessively fast. 7-8 tenths. It seems dangerous, as if it happened at the limits, weight balance would shift forward and possibly incuce some unexpected oversteer.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Kolia

How many miles on the Toyo's ?

They need to be scrubed in before they give their maximum grip.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
I'm about to do that on mine too.

Do we know anybody who has done that ? Does cutting power to the sensors disable it the same way unplugging the sensor does ?

There might be a difference between a no signal from unplugging and a faulty signal from no power only.
I'm almost reluctant to post this, but here goes....

This thread describes how to totally disable VDC. Most people don't know or realize it, but even though you turn it off via the switch, it still can kick in if the car gets in an extreme upset condition. Only by switching off the power to the G-force module is VDC neutered.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/138480-how-do-you-disable-vdc-completly.html

My reluctance in posting that link comes from the number of threads I've seen over the last couple of years by drivers who would be better off as passengers on the short yellow bus. A lot have wrecked their Zs doing stupid stuff during conditions that warrent having VDC turned on. (Not implying that Kolia would fall into that category - I believe he's one of the few here that can truly live without VDC).
Old 06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VDC probably cut power making it feel like the brakes locked up. I know when i leave VDC on and it cuts power it feels like I hit a brick wall and I lose control but it regains it after a second.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
03BrickyardZ

Originally Posted by Kolia
How many miles on the Toyo's ?

They need to be scrubed in before they give their maximum grip.
About 1500... in three weeks.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM
NGZ

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
I'm interested in the reason for this also... I switched to Toyo Proxes T1Rs in the rear (245/45-r18) and since then VDC kicks in with some mild braking during sweeping RH turns. It sounds like a rumble strip, and feels like I hit the brakes for a moment.
Funny that you should mention RH turns. For all the times I can remember, it's always been RH turns for me. And the symptoms are exactly as you described, 03BrickyardZ. No loss of traction, electronics think they no better, grab my brakes, and turn my car into a silly rodeo ride with a "GRRrBBBBB.... GRRrrBBBBBB...." sound. And each time I'm thinking to myself **** this ****... come on...

The only time I couldn't reproduce it was when I had my buddy with me as a passenger. I was trying to show him what I was talking about, but no matter what I did I could not reproduce it with him in the car.

I haven't tried killing the power to the yaw sensor vs unplugging it. But if there's a difference, you could wire a switch on the input wire instead of the power wire.

(I have a staggered 19" setup with Tein Flex, Cusco sway bars and Stoptechs in the front)
Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by ArCtM
VDC probably cut power making it feel like the brakes locked up. I know when i leave VDC on and it cuts power it feels like I hit a brick wall and I lose control but it regains it after a second.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the difference.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by NGZ
Funny that you should mention RH turns. For all the times I can remember, it's always been RH turns for me. And the symptoms are exactly as you described, 03BrickyardZ. No loss of traction, electronics think they no better, grab my brakes, and turn my car into a silly rodeo ride with a "GRRrBBBBB.... GRRrrBBBBBB...." sound. And each time I'm thinking to myself **** this ****... come on...

LOL. Mine was a RH turn as well.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
I'm almost reluctant to post this, but here goes....

This thread describes how to totally disable VDC. Most people don't know or realize it, but even though you turn it off via the switch, it still can kick in if the car gets in an extreme upset condition. Only by switching off the power to the G-force module is VDC neutered.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138480

My reluctance in posting that link comes from the number of threads I've seen over the last couple of years by drivers who would be better off as passengers on the short yellow bus. A lot have wrecked their Zs doing stupid stuff during conditions that warrent having VDC turned on. (Not implying that Kolia would fall into that category - I believe he's one of the few here that can truly live without VDC).
Cool, that's the topic I was looking for! Thanks!

VDC is very much active even when OFF. I used to be a defender that OFF was OFF but I have to admit that unplugging the Yaw sensor made a huge difference at the track. In the event of an emergency braking, BA will brake for you and in that moment; VDC gets back online to maintain steering control. The car can brake really hard then and the only advantage to killing the Yaw sensor is to trail brake. In all other situations where you do most of your braking in a straight line, VDC will not interfere and braking distance will be the same.

Things will get edgy when braking from high speed without the Yaw sensor, even in a straight line. Dave's advice is to be taken seriously. Personally, I'll reserve the Yaw-kill switch for track events only. Keeping the regular VDC button for spirited drives on open roads. Even then, I often leave the whole thing ON and play the limit of engagement.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by 03BrickyardZ
About 1500... in three weeks.
Weird.

What's the tire pressure ? Some shop will deliver freshly mounted tires at 50psi...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Sponge

I had a very similar issue with VDC kicking in while taking a right hand sweeper. I was exiting the freeway and the off ramp is very long and has a long, banked, right handed sweeper at the end. As I exited the freeway and entered into the curve at 60 mph and SLIP light came on and the ABS pulsed the brakes while cutting power. It was almost a very nasty outcome but I corrected and rolled up to the light. Could not figure for the life of me what caused this to happen. Clean dry road, WTH?

So about 2 months after this incident I got new tires all around (stock sizes 225F/245R 18s Yoko ES100s). After driving for a couple of weeks I decide to test out the sweeper again, slowly at first (50mph) then again at 65, 75 and finally 85mph and no problems.

Upon reflection, I think that when the incident occurred, the rears had about 40% tread left and the fronts were at 70% or better. Could the worn rears have prematurely triggered VDC because the tire size offset between front and rear was now much greater than the "new tire" size offset? I think that I've read that when people replace just the rear tires and not the front, VDC issues are also observed.

How worn were the rears at 1500 miles when you had this incident Tubbs?

Lots of burn-outs?

Just my $0.02
Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Sponge

How worn were the rears at 1500 miles when you had this incident Tubbs?

Lots of burn-outs?

Just my $0.02

That was 03BrickyardZ who said 1500 miles. My tires were at 35psi and had 1000km's on them. So, probably 90 percent rears, 95 fronts.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

vdc does not like 245/45/18 all around. It does the same crap to me on right hand turns as NGZ described. Its random as well, happened to me at speeds less then 60 on a easy turn and on two off ramps.

Sucks, 245/40/18 all around worked fine.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
vdc does not like 245/45/18 all around. It does the same crap to me on right hand turns as NGZ described. Its random as well, happened to me at speeds less then 60 on a easy turn and on two off ramps.

Sucks, 245/40/18 all around worked fine.
My understanding is that VDC requires respecting the overall diameter of wheel/tire setup, which is staggered front to rear on the Z.

Wouldn't "245/45/18 all around" be too tall on the front? I would expect that configuration not to work at all with VDC. You ran this configuration?

re>: "245/40/18 all around worked fine"
I wouldn't expect this to work perfectly either (although you report this as a satisfactory setup).

Please forgive the "newbie" question, but since VDC is set to a staggered front to rear overall diameter... Why not install front to rear tires with overall diameter that match VDC's requirements?

--Spike
Old 06-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 984 Likes on 747 Posts

because i burn through rear tires and like to rotate.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 AM
redlineZ06

Originally Posted by Tubbs
well, you'd lose your money then. And yes, I know exactly what happened. I wasn't "scared".
lol. did u read your first original post?!
something about u were out of your car "shiatless"
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Kegsbane

I wonder how many of you guys were ragging on people for wrecking their base Zs.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
saberphx

Hooray for base model!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by redlineZ06
lol. did u read your first original post?!
something about u were out of your car "shiatless"

orig post snibbet -- > "I got back in, scared shiatless, and continued on (with VDC off)."

lolz. Are you not able to comprehend that I did in fact get back INTO the car scared shiatless? Nowhere did I say I was scared shiatless whilst it happened. But getting back INTO a car you have to drive that just tried to kill you, is a wee bit scary.

reading comprehension ownz joo.

Quick Reply: VDC tried to kill me!