Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Buying 2003, 2004 350z for son

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Ken7258

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2003, 2004 350z for son

My son is almost 17 and it's time for his first car. I have a Porsche 996 C2, had a 300zx turbo back in the late 80's. Can't stand the demographics of Sti, Evo drivers. They always seem out of control and classless. I track my car quite a bit. I'm sure when Jon is old enough we'll track the Z. He has driven my car at autocrosses and around town. He's very responsible and I have no problem with him driving my car or the Z.

I can find quite a few 2003 and 04's with mileage in the mid to high 30's for 17-18,000. Are these good prices? What are the major differences between the enthusiast, performance and touring? Were there any major changes between 2003 and 2004.

I know a tuner in town that loves the 350Z paltform. He says you can really get a lot of hp out of them for way under 10k. At some point in time we may do this. Thanks for your help.

Ken
Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Cerebra1

Ah, I wish that Australia could get prices like that, we are lucky to find a 2003 model for less than $40,000. I think though from the amount of threads I have read on here, that those prices are quite average in USA, I'm sure they arn't overpriced by any means, but thats just my observations.

Sorry I cant help out much in regards to major changes, but I believe between the 03-04 models there wasn't much difference? I think the 04 is just abit heavier, not much else I know really, but hopefully someone can let us both know, anyway good luck with it all.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:46 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ken,

You will get several posts about how your son is to young for a Z...to much power. We have seen lots of kids here killed or seriously hurt because they can't control their right foot. But you know your boy.

Basics on all models is the same with regard to engine & drive train....differences are bells/whistles. Go to Nissan site or search here to find model differences. I'd suggest the Performance or MT Touring model since both have VDC which is really helpful in snow/ice country. Enthusiast MT has TCS but not VDC.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck man. I guess if you trust him with the Porsche then the Z will do fine.
As for 10k, a decent amount of power can be made, but for alot of power, it will be closer to 25k
Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not my choice for a first car, but considering your background with racing and the opportunity your son has had, it may be considerable. (if you can afford to lose it)

That seems a little high for my area. The supply is probably higher here then the demand. Z's around here with under 20k miles are going for that price. I picked my '03 up in the summer of '04 with 12k miles for 21,000. I think if you shop around enough, you could find something with a little less miles for the same price. Many car lots will keep the price up there with no regards to the mileage. Mainly because it's a sporty car and if people want it they are going to buy it. Also, the car does hold value fairly well, so stretching the price a couple grand isn't out of the question. Good luck with your purchase, you may end up liking the Z better than the porsche (Z+Turbo > Porsche)

Last edited by HondaKiller; 06-07-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Fingers

If your gonna track it you might also want to get one of the models that come with the stock brembo brakes. I have the base model, no taraction control, no vdc, and an open diff, I don't have any problems with mine but some people seem to need all that high tech stuff when they are driving in the rain. I think going with a turbo or super charger are the only ways to make real power with these cars and that will end up costing atleast 10k.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
howey

Those deals you are finding are reasonable. The performance model is one of my personal favorites other than the touring. I wouldn't consider the mileage just consider the source. I will take 50k miles on a garage kept car driven by an older gentleman vs 20k miles on a car driven by a young stupid teenager that drifted every corner and raced everything at a stop light.

I truely hope your kid is as responsible as you say. However he is still not experienced and the fact that he has had some "fast" cars to drive prior to this is good, but there are still issues. I'm not going to tell yuo how to be a dad. But I surely hope this kid has some investment ($$$) in this car otherwise there is an even bigger chance of finding it upside down in a ditch.

You know your boy better than all of us. However if my 17 year old son wanted a Z he would be working his *** of for it and he would be attending driving classes.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 AM
350ZFast

Default I agree. Well said.

"I wouldn't consider the mileage just consider the source. I will take 50k miles on a garage kept car driven by an older gentleman vs 20k miles on a car driven by a young stupid teenager that drifted every corner and raced everything at a stop light."
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
2003DropTopGT

Make sure you warn him though. First speeding ticket he gets, you take the keys. What car is he driving now?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:00 AM
iknowitsfast

Those are pretty good deals, jump on it!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Korki Buchek

In So Cal, those would be considered pretty good deals. If you do not want to wait several months for a better one, I'd say jump on it.

The advice everyone is giving you is correct. Just a little example to demonstrate:

When I was 15 my first car was a beater Toyota Celica. When talking to the insurance, the agent advised my family that I should not be allowed to get anything that resembled a sports-car -- i.e. no mustangs, no integras, no toyota celicas -- because a teenager couldn't handle anything but a sedan and would likely hot-rod and race a sports coupe. I was so upset that I called him personally and told him that he was an idiot and should do his job rather than causing problems (I was an a**hole even at 15).

I got the car, got insurance, and modded with everything I could get my hands on. The car ended up pretty fast. And I raced everywhere and everything, used the handbrake more than the pedal and basically raised hell. I never had an accident that was my fault or a ticket except for a broken tail light and once hit a curb in the snow. (Got rear-ended twice though). I thought I proved the insurance agent wrong.

Fast-forward a few years (maybe more than a "few") and I have had an '03 touring for about 5 months now. For the type of car it is, it's really fast, it's really powerful and it's rear wheel drive. Thinking back when I was 15, if I would have had a Z, I probably would have seriously injured myself or someone else and certainly would have had at least one accident. So, as it turns out, I think the insurance agent was on to something.

That being said, nobody in my family races cars, I didn't grow up driving a Porsche, I never autocrossed, etc.. You know your son and what he's capable of handling more than any of us. So, if you think he's up for it, I don't see any problem. At the end of the day it's your decision.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
350ZV3

Looking to adopt another child? Just kidding. I think a 2 seater is great for kids. Keeps them form being in a car in groups where they are more likely to show off in front of others. Atleast this way you limit the amount of young childish people in the car at one time. Have fun.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Ken7258

Thank you all so very much. I have thought of everything you've all said. My son has been driving my Porsche and a BMW 540 for almost a year. No tickets or crashes YET. He's a very responsible and mature son and knows any tickets or crashes and his driving life changes drastically. The hardest part for any new driver are the peer pressures. Thats why I like the idea of a two door sports car/coupe. We're also looking at a Porsche Boxster. The base boxster only has around 240 hp. You can go just as fast in a Altima, 350z, Celica, Tiburion, Mustang, whatever. I'm more concerned about the peer pressure then the speed of the car. Most young adult crashes around here (Littleton, CO) are the result of two many kids in the car and the driver not paying attention. I see more kids hauling *** in big SUV's and trucks then anything. They feel so safe. Thanks for all the replies.

Ken
Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM
fr0ng

17 year old has no business behind the wheel of a 350z. Buy him a beater Civic until he learns how to drive...then let him upgrade.

Why wouldn't you teach a 15 year old to drive in an Enzo? Because it has too much power and is too expensive for the kid to be able to concentrate on actually driving.

Same idea goes for your son. Buy him a beater...let him learn how to drive, and once he gets a year or two of actual driving experience (autocross doesn't mean $hit), then buy him something with more than 200 horsepower.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM
SniperHunter

He didn't ask if you think he should or should not buy his son a Z. He asked what the differences are between trims. He's the father, and you know nothing about his son and whether or not he's capable of driving a Z. Don't make rash assumptions.

Ken: I'll detail the differences for you a little later tonight if no one does so by then.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
alpine50z

Z + (person < 20) = crash = more money and/or a maimed son =

Sorry, seriously though, I am not going to recommend purchasing a car for someone that age.

I never had a car like that when I was growing up and to be honest I am glad. Having the Z at 26, I now understand why my parents didn't allow me the luxury.

It is not that the Z is super-powerful; it is very unpredictable and sometimes unforgiving, which is why I would not advise getting this car for your son.

Trust me, there will be more peer pressure to drive fast in a Z than an Altima.

I know you didn't ask for this, but it is the truth. I don’t care if you son is Pablo Montoya, it is not a good decision.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Sleeper01

Forget about the age. I know i'm going to get flamed from saying this it doesnt matter what age you are, your still prone to do stupid stuff...from what i read your son is responsible, and sounds like your tough on speeding and tickets etc so that shouldnt be a problem...if you have the money to buy your son a 350z then go for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 PM
r_seng

stupidity isn't prone to age, anyone can do something stupid anytime, but more likely to happen in younger kids 16-18. but if you trust him that much then he "should" be fine behind the wheel of a god car, uhh i mean Z.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my 350z when i was 18 and i'm 19 now. Still no ticket or accidents (knock on wood). Just make sure he takes it easy. I've seen plenty of kids around here who parents bought them nice sports car and then had them hurt or killed in accidents. When someone else buys you a car, it seems they take it for granted and do unsafe things with it. I'd say let him get a job and pay it on his own. He will appreciate it way more.

I'd get him a 03 performance since you might modify the car down the road. It comes with vdc and traction control. It actually saved me in the rain one time.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kids now a-days are too spoiled, you should have him buy it himself so he'll value it more, IMO

Quick Reply: Buying 2003, 2004 350z for son