Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

In a bit of a dilemma... advice and input needed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:00 PM
IanIanBoBian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry In a bit of a dilemma... advice and input needed...

Hey everyone, I haven't been around in a while. Reason being, I ended up getting an 06 Frontier Crew Cab NISMO 4X4, instead of the Z I planned on getting. Basically, I talked myself into getting a truck because it would be more practical as an only vehicle, and it would be cheaper. Well since I got a NISMO, it ended up costing the same as a base model Z. Not only that, but now I want to get something to drive to work and back, to keep the miles off of my truck. I have had my frontier for a year and have 25,000 miles on it already. So now I kinda regret not buying the Z. I think it would make more sense to have a beater truck and a nice car than a nice truck and some beater car. So now I'm really considering trading the frontier for an 07 Z, but I know I'll lose some money on the deal. So should I do it, or should I look for a used Z, or should I just wait until the truck is paid off, use it as my beater, and then buy a Z?

Help, I'm stuck. Every time I see a Z i think to myself "why didn't i get one?"
Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
350z babe

if you can afford the z then go for it since you're already drooling over it. if you trade in your car for the z and think you will lose money in doing so (and your broke), then you might have to rethink that. the z will kill your money on top of that. so it's your call.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:52 AM
Chosin

Get a paid off beater truck first then get the Z. That way your not making two payments at once.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 AM
Seel

Originally Posted by Chosin
Get a paid off beater truck first then get the Z. That way your not making two payments at once.
+1

I would go pre owned on top of that. Find a smoking deal and trade the truck in on it straight up + taxes. Negotiate the deal as though you were paying cash for the Z and then pop the trade on them. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 AM
JCZ33

Beater truck + new Z = Happy Boy.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM
flintgauge

I wish you were closer to dallas... I have my Z up for sale but am in no hurry. I have to find the right buyer to take care of my baby.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
zeekle

Trucks are kinda weird in their resale value but I assume you are going to take a bath on it. Do you owe more than its worth in trade-in?

As many miles as you are putting on, I would assume you would want your daily driver to get great gas mileage.

I would for sure think about used if you are going to do anything soon..

Do you need a truck? You almost might want to think about a z, beater truck and a beater car.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM
IanIanBoBian

well first of all, I owe 17,000 on the truck, which i don't think is too bad considering I've only had it for a year and it's like a 30,000 truck. Yeah, I do kinda need a truck since I mountain bike (easier than a bike rack), and plus once I get a house I will definitely need one. I talked to the dealership, and they said 20,000 for trade-in, but I think I could get more if I negotiated a little more. that was with just laking to the guy for a little while. Gas mileage isn't such a concern, I just don't want to be racking up miles on a brand new vehicle.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM
z-u-later

You're confused and you need to seek counseling. j/k

You should have bought a Z and purchased a used pickup truck as a daily driver. Used trucks are cheap. That's my setup -- pickup for work & my Z for the weekend drives.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 AM
IanIanBoBian

yeah, I know that's what I SHOULD have done. Unfortunately I didn't.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I could just try to pay off the truck by the end of this year, and then get a Z down the road, or trade my truck for a Z, and buy a used truck now. damn it.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:02 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wait and pay off your truck and by then the new Z will be out, hold out man.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:19 AM
black06z

If you could pay off by the end of the year, why don't you just do that? Its already been like a year w/o a Z. Wait a few months after you paid off the loan, to save up some money, and then finance a 2008 or left-over 2007 Z. Use the Nismo truck as a beater.
I really know what you're going through. I made a similiar mistake of buying a Z too early and could've waited and saved some money, got a bigger downpayment, and kept my Honda. Now I only have one car when I could've had 2. damnit!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:34 PM
IanIanBoBian

Originally Posted by black06z
If you could pay off by the end of the year, why don't you just do that? Its already been like a year w/o a Z. Wait a few months after you paid off the loan, to save up some money, and then finance a 2008 or left-over 2007 Z. Use the Nismo truck as a beater.
I really know what you're going through. I made a similiar mistake of buying a Z too early and could've waited and saved some money, got a bigger downpayment, and kept my Honda. Now I only have one car when I could've had 2. damnit!!!
because I want a Z now lol. I can't stop thinking about how great it would be to have one. It seems kinda dumb to spend tons of money on 2 new vehicles, instead of paying for one new one and having a used truck as a beater.