Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Drifting into the turn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
insomniaxvi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too much Tokyo Drift for your own good. I assume you have the Veilside kit as well?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
dchengmd

If you want to keep driving this way, you can reduce wear on your tires if you put Armor All on the treads like this brilliant genius did:

http://my.is/forums/f87/crashed-my-baby-147582/

Last edited by dchengmd; 06-28-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 PM
insomniaxvi

Originally Posted by dchengmd
If you want to keep driving this way, you can reduce wear on your tires if you put Armor All on the treads like this brilliant genius did:

http://my.is/forums/f87/crashed-my-baby-147582/
Is that **** fo realz!?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insomniaxvi
Is that **** fo realz!?
"I am pretty sure there is a warning specifically against that as well as putting it on the steering wheel, your face, your genitals, etc."

Hahahaha. That is the kind of instruction manual this kid needs.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
Drifting does not make the turn faster and it is very very harsh on tires.
wrong. Drifting if done right and not done the way the D1 guys are doing it will get you around the corner ("turn" is very uncool - Initial D lol) will get you through it faster and maintain speed a whole lot more than conventional grip driving. However It is extremely harsh on pretty much every part of your car not just the tires. Also I doubt this guy is drifting. He is probably just oversteering by accelerating to much, (which if anything it is a powerslide, not a drift).
Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neeferea
But it is not really drifting I just apply a tad more power when I come into the turn and the car turns around me a little bit. Is it still very bad for my tires?
Apparently, most people here seem to think this is reckless driving.

For me, and from that quoted post you've made, I call doing that Driving a RWD car.

Honestly, I'm a bit worried by all these other guy's fear of some rear wheel steering (as opposed to full on broad side drift) and wonder how they would react should they loose some grip mid corner.

Probably lift the throttle and crash their precious "correctly driven" Z's...

neeferea I encourage you to hit the track when you can to experiment with driving at the limit. In the mean time, feel free to develop your car skill by leaving a fair margin for error/surprise. Sounds like you're on the right track for a good [i]coup de volant[/b].
Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Behemel

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
Tires are meant to roll forward, not slide. Here is an experiment. Next time you visit a playground, try sliding down the slide sitting sideways. See how uncomfortable it feels. That is how your tires feel every time you "drift" into a turn at 15mph.

The questions people ask are a little odd. If you want to power slide in turns, take it to the track. Or better yet, get a beater and take it to the track.

Don't blame us when you "drift" into a 47 year old in a brand new S class that has a lot of pent up frustration and an expensive lawyer.

Cheers!
I don't think this is a very good comparison, because my *** doesn't roll if I were to slide forwards on the slide.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 AM
edchoy02

What do you want men? You are going into the forum and trying to put down people here. You want me to respond to your verbal attacks. Here you go... I am responding I hope it makes you feel better.
I read through the posts and no one is attacking you. You should read the posts when someone IS getting attacked.

I just sound to me a lot of folks here are giving you some good advice.

Stay safe.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 AM
MulhollandDrive

But it is not really drifting I just apply a tad more power when I come into the turn and the car turns around me a little bit. Is it still very bad for my tires?
neeferea... When racing it is common to apply a tad more power than you "need" when you see the corner EXIT. This will tend to make the car drift a little wide on exit, but increases your exit speed. Of course, try this on the track.

Oh.. and if you do this on a wet or oily road you could exit the entire road.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Brrcats

As many have mentioned this is not wise on the street for safety reasons. As for legal reasons, cops will see this as "failuer to control" and give you a nice little ticket for your trouble.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Kolia

Guys, he's not drifting there!

He's obvioulsy playing in the slip angle threshold of his tires.

Somethings you all should be confortable doing without thinking about it, for your own safety...

People should learn to drive instead of scooting around...
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Kolia
Guys, he's not drifting there!

He's obvioulsy playing in the slip angle threshold of his tires.

Somethings you all should be confortable doing without thinking about it, for your own safety...

People should learn to drive instead of scooting around...

Is the thread title not... "Drifting into the turn?"

To me, that implies you've begun your drift before entering the turn.

Now I have no probs playing with your car, and letting loose, but I don't usually initiate a drift before the turn on city streets.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
wrong. Drifting if done right and not done the way the D1 guys are doing it will get you around the corner ("turn" is very uncool - Initial D lol) will get you through it faster and maintain speed a whole lot more than conventional grip driving. However It is extremely harsh on pretty much every part of your car not just the tires. Also I doubt this guy is drifting. He is probably just oversteering by accelerating to much, (which if anything it is a powerslide, not a drift).
No, *thats* wrong. Drifting is slower. Its a proven fact that if you drift, you'll get slower times. Go to a go-kart track (or, if you're brave enough, do it in your real car *NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROAD*) and time yourself. You'll find that "gripping" the turns is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than drifting through them. Sure, drifting may feel faster (hell, you're going freaking sideways!) but it certainly won't be once you get a stopwatch involved.

Now, in rare cases, it might actually be faster. Tight turns with very little grip (e.g. ice or dirt) would benefit from "proper" drifting. But, again, this is an exception and NOT the norm. Why do you think rally drivers drift but formula 1 drivers don't?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Is the thread title not... "Drifting into the turn?"

To me, that implies you've begun your drift before entering the turn.

Now I have no probs playing with your car, and letting loose, but I don't usually initiate a drift before the turn on city streets.
Read the OP's first and second posts. You'll get a more realistic perspective of what he's trying to say...

So I am slowly getting used to my new Z. The car is amazing. Very often now when I am turning ninety-degree turn I make the back come out on me so that the car straitens out right into the turn. I do it for two reasons makes the turn faster and the feeling is amazing. So I wanted to ask people of the forum if many of you do that and if so how bad is it for the tires.
As for the timing of throttle, know that I'm close to full thottle before I hit my apex at the track. It's a different, yet safe, way to go around a corner.

The kid isn't racing, not showing off, just doing things right for a change!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Zshazz
No, *thats* wrong. Drifting is slower. Its a proven fact that if you drift, you'll get slower times. Go to a go-kart track (or, if you're brave enough, do it in your real car *NOT ON THE PUBLIC ROAD*) and time yourself. You'll find that "gripping" the turns is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than drifting through them. Sure, drifting may feel faster (hell, you're going freaking sideways!) but it certainly won't be once you get a stopwatch involved.

Now, in rare cases, it might actually be faster. Tight turns with very little grip (e.g. ice or dirt) would benefit from "proper" drifting. But, again, this is an exception and NOT the norm. Why do you think rally drivers drift but formula 1 drivers don't?
Lawy'dU is actually closer to the correct in car behavior at the track than you seem to think. F1 driver are ALWAYS sliding in all the corners...

And at the corner Go-Kart place, you HAVE to drift the kart as the rolling resistance from a "regular" tight turn will overload the engine and drop the rev out of the power band...

Anyways...
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Tubbs

Read the OP's first and second posts. You'll get a more realistic perspective of what he's trying to say...

As for the timing of throttle, know that I'm close to full thottle before I hit my apex at the track. It's a different, yet safe, way to go around a corner.

The kid isn't racing, not showing off, just doing things right for a change!

But he said this "Very often now when I am turning ninety-degree turn I make the back come out on me so that the car straitens out right into the turn."

To me, he's saying that he slides the car out before the turn so he can go straight into the corner?

I understand what you're saying, I usually have the throttle pegged in the apex, but I don't slide the car before the turn???
Old 06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Tubbs
I understand what you're saying, I usually have the throttle pegged in the apex, but I don't slide the car before the turn???
You should try it!

We'd need more details from neeferea to know the exact timing of his maneuver. But he doesn't sound like he's ***** out driftin throught that corner.

It sounds to me like he's just adding some rear wheels steering to straighten the corner exit. It's a good thing and one of the main reason people like RWD (usually). It's how a RWD sport car should be driven.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 PM
NGZ

Lawy'dU is actually closer to the correct in car behavior at the track than you seem to think. F1 driver are ALWAYS sliding in all the corners...

And at the corner Go-Kart place, you HAVE to drift the kart as the rolling resistance from a "regular" tight turn will overload the engine and drop the rev out of the power band...

Anyways...
Different people have different driving styles. Check out this vid for example (hosted by Martin Brundle):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f6qi1MbTo-o

Although the OP calls it drifting, what he is describing resembles actual driving techniques. But how close the OP is to the legit technique, vs being reckless & stupid, who knows...
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Tubbs

Anyways...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I see F1 drivers slide coming out of corners, as their cars struggle with traction... but not necessarily sliding through the corners. You always want to still be within the limits of your tires.

http://www.f1blog.org/some-page/

Quick Reply: Drifting into the turn?