Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Salesman told me not to bother running it in

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Morningglorie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just spent how many thousands of dollars on this car, and you don't have the patience to follow the recommendations of the people who built the thing????

Some people have more money than sense.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
thanh27

and some (again the key word is 'some') of you do realize that your car was probably tested by another customer, Nissan employee, or yourself and gave it a road test while test driving the $hit out of it prior to taking it off the lot right?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
thanh27

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
Well, i guess you know something that we don't. Hope, your planning on selling your car within the next couple of months.

A little bit exaggerated there don't ya think?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Marc Mc

Do what the manual says. The worst case is you drive like a grandpa for a while. Big deal.

I say it is also good for the driver to learn how their car feels before driving like you stole it. Just read a few of those new car accident stories.....
Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If dad bought it drive it like you stole it, he'll buy you another one, or fix this one when it breaks.

If you've got 60 months worth of payments wouldn't it be thoughtful to follow the degreed mechanical engineers who designed and built the engine recommendations? I'm just saying how freaking hard is it to follow instructions for the first 1200 miles?

In another year my warranty is up. I paid for the car in 18 months ... and plan on driving it for another few years at least. I followed the procedures like a good little soldier.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by thanh27
and some (again the key word is 'some') of you do realize that your car was probably tested by another customer, Nissan employee, or yourself and gave it a road test while test driving the $hit out of it prior to taking it off the lot right?
Yea, you are right, that obviously means its okay to do it from the day you buy it. I guess we should all follow that philosophy in every aspect of our life, as well. BRILLIANT!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Caprice270

The only problem I have is that 2,000 km is 6 months driving for me and I only keep cars for 3 years. So if I spend 1/6 of my time with the car running it in...well...it seems ridiculous. I need to make the most of the time I have with this car. I ran it in for 300km, which is 300km more than I did with my other cars, mainly because of this forum, but any more would kill me.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Its an AUTO, who cares how bad you drive it!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Key Of Z

[QUOTE=zand02max]Its an AUTO, who cares how bad you drive it!

Excellent point!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Playboy's Z

break it in better to be safe than sorry.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Manu
This is how I did my break-in Car didn't explode under me for some reason Won't even use a drop of oil

+1....mototune break-in here in all my vehicles....never one drop of oil gone. set those fcking rings if you don't wanna burn oil ppl.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Sean_350z

Originally Posted by Old School
+1....mototune break-in here in all my vehicles....never one drop of oil gone. set those fcking rings if you don't wanna burn oil ppl.
+2. How many of you guys have actually assembled a motor? Any car motor? Everybody I know that actually wrenches for themselves (and has assembled their own motor....me included) does a general warm-up after a build, changes the oil, and then flogs the snot out of it!
Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Said it before and will say it again: My '06 Z's ECU was engaging fuel cut-off at 2100 RPMs for the first 25-30 miles or so, and no, that's no joke.

I drove it off the lot within a few hours of its arrival from the port (was a special order) and it did not let me go above 2100 RPMs all the way home. Took it to get the windows tinted the next morning and it did the same thing on the way to the shop, but half way back (about 30 miles total on the odo) it eliminated the cut-off and started driving normally.

That tells me Nissan engineers know something we don't, so I followed the break-in period to the letter. What say you?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
icepig

do i need to follow a break-in period for my ****? there's this fine looking girl in my class who wants me, and i'm not sure i can hold out any longer. would she know about the break-in period?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Sean_350z

Originally Posted by usmanasif
That tells me Nissan engineers know something we don't, so I followed the break-in period to the letter. What say you?
tells me they're smart and playing cya. Takin' it easy isn't going to hurt anything but it's not going to get the most power out of it either. And I don't think anyone is saying to keep it redlined constantly either. Nissan engineers don't want any warranty returns. Period. They're not particulary worried about you getting ultra long life out of your vehicle (he11.....they want to continue to sell NEW cars, right?). Anyone that works in the automotive supplier business knows how this works.

Babying it at first, and then flogging it after is going to cause the same long-term wear as running it hard initially. It's just those that run it hard from the start are going to i.d. any build issues sooner.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Sean_350z

Originally Posted by icepig
do i need to follow a break-in period for my ****? there's this fine looking girl in my class who wants me, and i'm not sure i can hold out any longer. would she know about the break-in period?
If you have to ask you are to trade said **** in on a clam.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I1DER

If you did a search before you asked, you would have found all these responses and then some, and with links. This obviously isn't the first time someone's decided they don't want to follow what the engine builder recommends.

There should be a thread on "Which Rationalization" did you use to disregard the manual so you could scream your Z before 1200 miles and not feel guilty.

Actually I've read several procedures that sound logical. If you aren't in the know, I suggest playing paper, rock, scissors to decide which "expert" to listen to.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
thanh27

Originally Posted by Conceyted
Yea, you are right, that obviously means its okay to do it from the day you buy it. I guess we should all follow that philosophy in every aspect of our life, as well. BRILLIANT!
Overboard statement. Did the man say he was gonna red line every time he drove it and drive the $hit out of it?? He was just asking if it was okay if he didn't religiously follow the break in period. My statement was purely for those who followed the break in period (myself included) who truly believe their car was never ridden hard prior to their ownership of it.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Alex3000GT

Originally Posted by Manu
This is how I did my break-in Car didn't explode under me for some reason Won't even use a drop of oil
For about 60,000 miles

Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Eliane

Originally Posted by Caprice270
The only problem I have is that 2,000 km is 6 months driving for me and I only keep cars for 3 years. So if I spend 1/6 of my time with the car running it in...well...it seems ridiculous. I need to make the most of the time I have with this car. I ran it in for 300km, which is 300km more than I did with my other cars, mainly because of this forum, but any more would kill me.
Ok you got a brand new Z with an automatic including manufacture warranty and you are planning to drive 12k and sell it after 3 years. Well it this case – it doesn’t really matter how you drive as long as you don’t crash anything.

Quick Reply: My Salesman told me not to bother running it in