2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Salesman told me not to bother running it in

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Caprice270

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Salesman told me not to bother running it in

Hi People,

I bought a Redline A5 Touring last week and my salesman told me running in is not strictly necessary. He said the motor was already run in, but the driveline would need to be driven easy for the first 500km.

This seems to make sense, even though everyone follows a strict run in procedure here. If the basis for this run in procedure is the manual, I must say, people should not take the manual so seriously! I mean, half of the illustrations show some sort of generic sedan! Makes me think the manual is some standard template that Nissan uses and just makes a few specific changes to it.

Ofcourse, Nissan would love it if everyone was conservative and ran their car in for the first gazillion kilometres. But I've had three other new cars, all Holdens equipped with Chev V8s, and they have all been thrashed from the day I drove them off the dealership lot. They never gave me any trouble and the dyno results before mods always showed good numbers.

On Holden forums, everyone talks about what rubbish running in really is, and how the best running in procedure is to drive the car like you've stolen it, so why is everyone here so concerned aout running in?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by Caprice270
Hi People,

I bought a Redline A5 Touring last week and my salesman told me running in is not strictly necessary. He said the motor was already run in, but the driveline would need to be driven easy for the first 500km.

This seems to make sense, even though everyone follows a strict run in procedure here. If the basis for this run in procedure is the manual, I must say, people should not take the manual so seriously! I mean, half of the illustrations show some sort of generic sedan! Makes me think the manual is some standard template that Nissan uses and just makes a few specific changes to it.

Ofcourse, Nissan would love it if everyone was conservative and ran their car in for the first gazillion kilometres. But I've had three other new cars, all Holdens equipped with Chev V8s, and they have all been thrashed from the day I drove them off the dealership lot. They never gave me any trouble and the dyno results before mods always showed good numbers.

On Holden forums, everyone talks about what rubbish running in really is, and how the best running in procedure is to drive the car like you've stolen it, so why is everyone here so concerned aout running in?
Your cars manual specifically states that there is a break in procedure that should be followed. Some people could care less, while others follow it religiously. The choice is yours.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Delusive

For the first 1,200 miles, the ^350Z owner's manual strongly recommends varied engine speeds under 4,000 rpm, and strongly discourages full throttle accelerations at any speed. Nissan also advises against towing trailers.

See what your salesman says about that.

Link: http://www.cliffshade.com/350zr/break-out.asp#break-in
Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 AM
Caprice270

The manual says that "during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles), follow these recomendations...failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life".

Translation: Some overly paid lawyer decided the manual should have a running in recommendation so as to provide some recourse for dealers in the event that a car has clearly been overly abused.

Significance: Very Low.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Manu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how I did my break-in Car didn't explode under me for some reason Won't even use a drop of oil
Attached Thumbnails My Salesman told me not to bother running it in-img_0777.jpg  
Old 07-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Conceyted

The manual says that "during the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles), follow these recomendations...failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life".

Translation: Some overly paid lawyer decided the manual should have a running in recommendation so as to provide some recourse for dealers in the event that a car has clearly been overly abused.

Sounds like you had your mind made up before you ever posted. Why did you waste our time?
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Myfirst06350Z
Banned

The manuals are also ver generic in the sense. But these motors have been broken in before they were even but into the car. The only thing that needs to be broken in is the tranny and yea that is 500 miles. Then go for it.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:10 AM
Delusive

Whatever makes you sleep better at night man. It's also recommended you change your oil at certain intervals... but I'm sure your salesman has an answer for that too
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, i guess you know something that we don't. Hope, your planning on selling your car within the next couple of months.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Eliane

You don't have to break in your car if you wanna keep your car for less than 5 years but break it in if you are planning to keep it for 10+ years in order to avoid/minimize engine issues. However I recommend breaking it in even if you don't plan to keep it for long.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 AM
stylett9

*sigh*
Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Delako

Originally Posted by Manu
This is how I did my break-in Car didn't explode under me for some reason Won't even use a drop of oil

THE LIGHT IS ON!! SHIFT!! SHIIIIIIFT!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:50 AM
blkG3hirty5ive

i was told the same thing from the salesman i bought mine from, he was a 350z owner too. I bought the z with 280 miles on it and i was gonna break it in but i decided against it.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 AM
z-u-later

Don't drive like a grandpa . . . drive it like you stole it! Redline every gear, all the time!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
furiousZ

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Don't drive like a grandpa . . . drive it like you stole it! Redline every gear, all the time!
I am a very confused person!
Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 AM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Delusive]For the first 1,200 miles, the ^350Z owner's manual strongly recommends varied engine speeds under 4,000 rpm, and strongly discourages full throttle accelerations at any speed. Nissan also advises against towing trailers.

+1
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I figure the guys who built the car should know best. 1200 ain't that much.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:37 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You live south of the equator. The break-in recommendation is different.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
trackpilot

There was a really good article that i read a few years ago about why you don't have to break in the engine.
I think it said that you SHOULD run it hard for the first 50 miles just to seat the piston seals. But i could be wrong on that so don't quote me, it's been awhile...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
coz

Translation: If it is my car I will break it in slowly.

This isn't just some legalese that Nissan thought up of. Every brand new engine should go through this process, whether it be a car, motorcycle, or airplane--if you want it to last.

The metal is going to be getting hot and stressed in ways it is not used to. Best to do it nice and easy. 1200 miles (1 month) will go by quick.

But in the end its your car.
--
Coz

Quick Reply: My Salesman told me not to bother running it in