48.93%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with TCS "ON" or "OFF"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Apparently this guy does and wanted to add some information to the thread about his experience. More than can be said for you, newb flamer.

I got there because he mentioned "a better alternative to stopping in slippery road" and "drove across 2 states during the winter in the snow. and practice in a parking lot how to handle snow driving." Seems pretty clear he's talking about DRIVING IN THE SNOW. ABS isn't a replacement for learning proper threshold braking technique, it's only a band-aid for those that don't take the time to learn. Until my post you probably didn't even know it was possible to lock up the wheels when you have ABS.

So, you're welcome.

right on.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 PM
dTor

on
Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
dstheman

On-Daily driver
off-track
Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM
P-tricky

Drive it with it ON i totaled my audi when i had it off and i regret it everysecond
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Xoulrath

Off, as I don't have a choice.

If I did, it would be off during all but rainy days/slick conditions.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by chingwithbling
This sounds like a one in a million type of occurrence. Realistically, if the car cutting power when you're pulling into traffic is enough to create danger for you, you shouldn't be pulling in at that time anyways. The car is more than quick enough for everyday driving without the tires slipping.

Word.
I, too, was almost broad sided because of this. I hit a bit of gravel while trying to turn left across two lanes of traffic. I lost all power and gracefully rolled in to the middle of the two lanes I was trying to turn in front of.

I 'thought' because I had a sport-luxary vehicle I would have made it with no problem, in which I would have, but total loss of power, and the delay in giving it back almost screwed me.

After that, at that intersection, I would always turn VDC off and kick my rear out (just for fun) when turning. Sadly, you can no longer turn left there as they recently built an open air mall (because Ohio is such a great place for them) and they redid all the sidestreets in the area.

From memory, I can't think of a time VDC prevented me from getting in an accident because I lost control of my car. So, in my book, VDC has been more of a hinderence then a help.

My KPtechnologies module keeps VDC off all the time now, unless it rains.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM
ThomasGunZ350

Do you have stock wheels and suspension on your Z?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGunZ350
Do you have stock wheels and suspension on your Z?
Ummm, if you look at the top of the post, you might notice that last post was about 2.5 years old.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Normal driving ON
Racing, and acting insane OFF. (z does not come out to play less its bright and sunny, or crisp and cool at night)

It is just a stability control. So unless your losing traction when giving it the gas will not harm you being ON no matter...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:11 PM
ThomasGunZ350

Default TCS

Has anyone experienced the SLIP light just coming on and you just lose all acceleration power? I was driving on the freeway the other day, just cruising @ about 70mph (going straight the whole time) and all of a sudden the SLIP light came on, and I always drive with it off. I tried pressing the TCS button but nothing happened. I pulled over to see what was going on. I turned off the car and restarted it again and the SLIP light turned on again after about 5 seconds. I continue to do four more times. After awhile I got frustrated, I turned on the car and just reved the motor and it worked!!! It was back to normal. Can anyone tell me what happened? I dont want to be driving somewhere far and this happing again. I might not be so lucky next time. Thanks!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by ThomasGunZ350
Has anyone experienced the SLIP light just coming on and you just lose all acceleration power? I was driving on the freeway the other day, just cruising @ about 70mph (going straight the whole time) and all of a sudden the SLIP light came on, and I always drive with it off. I tried pressing the TCS button but nothing happened. I pulled over to see what was going on. I turned off the car and restarted it again and the SLIP light turned on again after about 5 seconds. I continue to do four more times. After awhile I got frustrated, I turned on the car and just reved the motor and it worked!!! It was back to normal. Can anyone tell me what happened? I dont want to be driving somewhere far and this happing again. I might not be so lucky next time. Thanks!!!
only time that has happ to me is when i was racing for fun and i slipped going into second gear. Lose of power and just let go of gas and it should go back to normal on its own. No need to pull over and get all crazy about it. It is normal.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
ThomasGunZ350

Maybe you can help. My slip light comes on very easily. I was wondering if it is because of my wheels and suspension. I have 20" and Tein Basic Coilover Damper Kit. Thanks!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 PM
ThomasGunZ350

It stayed on though and when I pressed the gas nada happened
Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I get TCS activation sometimes, particularly in higher speed corners, when there isn't any wheelspin. I attribute it to the slightly smaller tires I'm running (285/30/19 vs 265/35/19 OEM rears), but it's pretty annoying when it comes on, I have to totally lift outta the gas and let the car slow a little before the slip light goes away, and mid-corner is not the time to be doing that. I try to turn it off if I feel i'll be pushing the car, just too intrusive otherwise.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Dr. Venture

maybe it was still slipping??
Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Italianjoe1

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
maybe it was still slipping??
If it is, it's so slight there shouldn't be an issue. I've gotten pretty good wheelspin and sliding before TCS intervention at slower speeds, I just think at speed, the difference in tire size becomes more pronounced and the computer freaks out. It's never bothered me in a straight line at high speed, only when turning. I highly doubt i'm getting wheelspin at 90mph around a long sweeping corner either, not at stock power levels with these big tires.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
klenkart

I always leave mine off. The car is way more predictable with it off. You just have to be more atenttive to the feedback you get while driving.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 PM
joliuxsi

I drive with it on all the time

Last edited by joliuxsi; 02-17-2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Post too long
Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Italianjoe1

Originally Posted by klenkart
I always leave mine off. The car is way more predictable with it off. You just have to be more atenttive to the feedback you get while driving.
I just like the ability to push the back end out when I want it to. I'm not afraid of the car, it's way underpowered to worry about it anyway, but a little slide makes it much more fun to drive.

I also hate throttle cut limiters of any sort as well. Nothing like that broken engine feeling of me still stepping on the pedal and nothign happening. I'll just take my foot off of the gas if I feel the need to.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:52 PM
leakyZ

Originally Posted by klenkart
+1, I have had many rwd cars and most with no tcs option. I too have the slip light kick on at high speed when no wheel spin is present. It is second nature to shut my tcs off as soon as I start the car.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with TCS "ON" or "OFF"