2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

the new Z drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 09:28 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Matt

grow up, the only way you would be offended is if you ARE an idiot who doesn't know much about cars, which you must be.
Actually, I get offended when people make racist comments, yet I'm a caucasian male.

And by logical proof:

denote:
A = "racist comment"
B = "I get offended"
C= "generalization"
D= "your comment"
E= "I'm the target of the comment"

A==C by: "racist comments are generalizations"
D==C by: "saying 'good portion' is generalizing"

A==D by: (x=y && y==z) -> x==z

Therefore (A&&'E->B) -> D&&'E->B, by substitution.

So there you have it, I do not have to be the target of your comment to get offended.

(Math people please ignore all my mistakes, I know them as well )

Last edited by blackSunshine; 08-01-2002 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:24 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

grow up, the only way you would be offended is if you ARE an idiot who doesn't know much about cars.
Looks to me, like ol Matt has got his panties in an uproar. I guess he just doesn't understand why we all don't bow down to the greatness of CIVIC MAN, hey that's what you get for hanging out with riff-raff, instead of your neato-keano CIVIC crowd. Well, cast your pearl before swine, what da gonna do...it must really SUCK being you!
Old 08-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Danimsta

wow, and i thought I said stupid things....
lol
man if i would get a Z i wonder what you would say after that

and yes i know about cars, yet you might not think so becuase of my "posting abbilities(sp)"

yeah i cant spell either, ya gonna hold it againest me
Old 08-01-2002, 04:57 PM
mdouvris

Default Yikes!!!

Matt...Listen, you know everything about the civic...I am HAPPY for you. I do not know everything about my car. That's one of the main reasons Im here. I need the proper information for upgrading my ride. I am ignorant and I need the help of this forum. With the help of everyone else here posting, I will get more confident and competent. I think I just saw a chimp driving a civic.......
Old 08-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Zay

Default Re: Yikes!!!

Originally posted by mdouvris
I think I just saw a chimp driving a civic.......
Was it Curious George?
Old 08-01-2002, 05:11 PM
rep15

I don't understand the motivation behind Matt's post (any of them). What is the deal with the elitist attitude about the 350Z? There will be people who Matt feels don't deserve to be driving this car, in his opinion, due to a generalized lack of automotive knowledge. Get over it and move on. Perhaps Matt would be better off saving is money for a year and purchasing a Mercedes, BMW, etc where HIS image will not be spoiled by driving a car with the lesser folk who have to look at the owners manual each time to find the hood release. Oops, that defines most MB & BMW owners.

I will still drive my 350z proudly (whenever it comes), Matt, not knowing much about engines, drivetrains, etc. because I am helping the economy by using mechanics who are better trained that I. (That was my patriotic help America's economy rebound part).

By the way, thank you Matt for giving me validation by saying, "there's really nothing wrong with car-ignorant people in general". I can now go to my dental practice feeling good about myself. I am sorry for you, though, that I will be on the road in the same car as you but I am in Washington so I hope we never meet.

Really.

Last edited by rep15; 08-01-2002 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM
barnicleboy
Banned

one of the reasons i made this post is because i have had exactly the experience i'm 'worried' about with the Si. seeing as how the civic si has that image of brats driving it around, believe me, it's not fun. i am anything but the typical image of a civic driver but since the car got that image, i got automatically put into the category.

that is what i'm worried about with the new z.

and you're not the only one who can afford the z, i already have another $32k car as you can see.
Your so caught up with this image stuff, cant you be happy with your purchase because YOU like it? What does anybody else's opinion have to do with it?
The only catagorizations that people should be worried about is when its done regarding your race/heritage.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:29 PM
ToddLuc

Default Re: the new Z drivers

spending time reading posts by z enthusiasts for the past few months has me kinda worried, seems like a good portion of the z drivers will be people who don't know much about cars.

i would expect this car to attract a little more mature and knowledgable crowd than the usual teenage crowds i'm used to, i hope so.. it'd be a shame if the image of the z becomes like the s2000.. (spoiled brats who don't know **** about their own car).

there's really nothing wrong with car-ignorant people in general, it's just that i wouldn't want the z to be associated along with the usual integras, civics and stuff as far as the image goes.

i realize that not all of us are car buffs, but i've seen more general car knowledge at honda forums...

i really am not meaning this as a flame, but i would imagine this is going to ruffle a few feathers. if i offend you, i apologize, it is not my intention at all. it's just my observation.
The reason some of us seem ignorant about the Z is because nobody knew the detailed, official specifications of the Z until just recently! Sure, we knew some of the specs, and some potential details, but no firm facts. I think everyone on this site was awesome, given we knew only pieces of information. We all helped build this awesome puzzle given "clues." Now given the fact that most everything talked about was correct in the end, or nearly correct, that is even more amazing!

I think my "favorite" part of your post was "i really am not meaning this as a flame, but i would imagine this is going to ruffle a few feathers. if i offend you, i apologize, it is not my intention at all. it's just my observation"

Now, suppose you say to your friends wife, regarding her new baby: "Man, that is ONE disgustingly ugly baby! Now, I am not meaning this as a flame, and I may ruffle your feathers. If I upset you, sorry, it is not my intention... just an observation." Hint: you would immediatley lose your friend. 'nuff said.

Also, when you got your last job, did you know everything about it before you started? Or instead, did you have a good foundation to start with, and learned a significant amount after you began working? Most of us are in the latter example... myself included.

Last edited by ToddLuc; 08-01-2002 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:35 PM
ToddLuc

... but I DO know this about cars:

1. they have 5 wheels (not all to be used at once, though)
2. they have a shifter that you sometimes have to bump around
3. they, just like a plant, require water
4. if you turn left, you sometimes go left
5. if you mash one or all of the pedals on the floor, you will either a) rev the engine to the redline in a real hurry, or 2) get from point "a" to point "b" quicker than if you didn't mash the pedal

Last edited by ToddLuc; 08-01-2002 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:44 PM
morganjd

Default Re: the new Z drivers

seems like a good portion of the z drivers will be people who don't know much about cars

Frankly, I think this happens with almost any great car, including elite cars most people can't afford, like ferrari's, bentley's, lamborghini's...

Just watch a rap video and you'll see blatant disregard for the history and character of great automobiles.

As someone said earlier, welcome to the land of the free.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:59 PM
J Ritt

You have to learn somewhere...this is a great place to do it. 5 years ago I didn't know anything about cars. I learned about them from friends, magazines, books, scca, pca, nasa...and from a honda message board. This is a community of people that share...a low risk environment where there really are no stupid questions, and you can 'hide' behind your computer without having to feel silly. There are all types of people, with vastly different automotive experience levels on this board...who are experts in all types of things. Not everyone has the time to devote to cars...people have busy lives. I'm sure there are plenty of lawyers, doctors, marketers, and physicists that could teach you tons about their respective fields. My point is, the purpose of this board is to bring them together to learn and share about the Z. They will learn, the site will grow, and become a resource.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:09 PM
LowFuel

I have a close friend who has always admired Harley motorcycles. But he never wanted to get one because he felt there was a general negative stigma attached to a Harley rider - you know, the Hells Angel mean biker who will eat your soul.
Well, eventually he got the Harley, and he quickly realized as he met other owners that a huge percentage of them were guys just like him, and even the ones who were "typical" Harley owners were some of the nicest, coolest people he's ever met.

Take that for what it's worth. The Z owner community will be what we make it, nothing more nothing less.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:34 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Matt,

I do agree with you to a certain point. I don't really care as much about if the owners know much about cars in general what I worry about is.....

A bunch of immature owners who tend to get into a lot of accidents and drive my insurance rate up just for owning the same car.

A bunch of owners who never do any maintenance or care for the car and drive my resale value down due to too many problems.

A bunch of bad drivers who cause others on the road to think that I am a bad driver just for having the same car.

So, I see your point. It was one of the reasons I sold my ZXTT. I was starting to see a lot of owners popping up who could afford the older cars and were only out for themselves.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:09 PM
skooly

Thumbs down Re: Re: the new Z drivers

Originally posted by robbyn
Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new winner in MOST CONDESCENDING POST OF THE YEAR!! If I cared, I might get upset, but if Matt gets off on feeling superior, I could care less.
Amen to that. What's really galling is his feigned sincerity.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:28 PM
BigBadBuford

I can sort of agree with his post that I don't want Z drivers to get a bad image. I know its a free country and that you can do whatever you want to your car, but I would hate the 350Z to get the 'ricer' image that many imports have. For the most part, the Z hasn't had this image and has enjoyed respect that a lot of other imports don't get. I don't think you necessarily have to know a lot about cars, you just have to have good taste and drive sensibly so people don't look down on the Z community.
I can also sort of understand his comments on people not knowing things about cars. I don't really care if people know the inner workings of their cars or not, but in some threads I've seen lately I have seen people make comments that are obviously not true, but state them as fact. If people are ignorant of information on the car and come here to learn, that is great, but when people who are ignorant about a car come here and spread false information as if it is fact really annoys me.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:38 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinkin R S T L N E... wheel of fortune!

Originally posted by Scafremon

There are no "D" order numbers Frank. Just R, S, T, and sometimes W. Your order number.............shoot.......I'm in wrong thread.

nevermind.

Old 08-02-2002, 12:03 AM
Brad4rdHay

The fact is tha people in America (and for the most part, the world) buy cars for the image it reflects, not because they somehow deserve it. Quite a few Ferrari drivers would draw a blank if you asked them who Enzo was. Thats just the way it is. I say, why worry about other people, just enjoy the car. If you worry about people thinking that you are an ignorant moron driving a Z then you're essentially doing the same thing as the guy buying the car because it "looks kinda cool"...worrying about your image. Just do as the slogan said, ENJOY THE RIDE.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:14 AM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by LowFuel
I have a close friend who has always admired Harley motorcycles. But he never wanted to get one because he felt there was a general negative stigma attached to a Harley rider - you know, the Hells Angel mean biker who will eat your soul.
Well, eventually he got the Harley, and he quickly realized as he met other owners that a huge percentage of them were guys just like him, and even the ones who were "typical" Harley owners were some of the nicest, coolest people he's ever met.

Take that for what it's worth. The Z owner community will be what we make it, nothing more nothing less.
HA's get a bad rap as well. I am good friends with George Christie and the local government is constantly harassing him and the rest of the HA's. These are good hard working people and even after they tried to put away George for good on trumped up conspiracy charges he got off, but still lost a year of his life in jail. Even the judge in the case stated that according to law the HA's cannot be considered a criminal street gang, but our local county fair has just labled them that and the HA's will not be allowed to wear their insignias inside. George owns 3 businesses in the community and has paid his taxes and has every right to wear whatever he wants on the public property Ventura County fairgrounds. I guess the point is that generalizations rarely hold up to be true. Around where I live, the biggest crooks are the cops, the DA, and the local county government.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:04 AM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

Is it just me or are things getting warmer (slowly) in here??

Anybody else smell gas?

If you want to worry about the world check out the global warming thing, the rise in birth defects, the effects of bumble bee gas on the ozone, and the list goes on.

j/k

Quick Reply: the new Z drivers