2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

the new Z drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 03:56 AM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NiZZan
If you want to worry about the world check out the global warming thing, the rise in birth defects, the effects of bumble bee gas on the ozone, and the list goes on.j/k
Don't we have the federal government for those "big" things??!!
Old 08-02-2002, 05:52 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Matt
i didn't read most of the replies after my last one, but i guess i touched the nerve of most people in here.

just to clarify, when i said 'lack of car knowledge' I did not mean lack of knowledge about the 350z, well, of course no one has the car yet, i meant car knowledge in general. and i don't mean things like how a transmission and the lsd and stuff like that works mechanically, just general stuff. and i'm no car expert by any stretch of the imagination but i'm no dummy either.
I think we should all just let Matt bestow his infinite wisdom on us...I mean not only is he "No dummy" (so he says), BUT he owns a CIVIC AND he's a PLATINUM MEMBER.....ooooohhhh....ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 08-02-2002, 07:24 AM
rai

i didn't read most of the replies after my last one, but i guess i touched the nerve of most people in here.

just to clarify, when i said 'lack of car knowledge' I did not mean lack of knowledge about the 350z, well, of course no one has the car yet, i meant car knowledge in general. and i don't mean things like how a transmission and the lsd and stuff like that works mechanically, just general stuff. and i'm no car expert by any stretch of the imagination but i'm no dummy either.

Clarify? Oh you mean just general stuff....

Like where the key goes? all those complicated pedals and stuff. Maybe you could set up a clinic and teach us some stuff.

I'm no dummy in fact I am a doctor, but I can tell that you can teach me and the rest of us here a lot about cars. I mean you have a civic Si and all.

real quick can you tell me how the automatic windows switch work? I mean do you press on it or pull it or what? I never can figure stuff like that out.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:31 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

i think my original post was all wrong (it comes off as abrasive and condescending), this pretty much sums up what my thoughts are..

again, i'm really sorry to those i offended, and i'm generally surprised at the maturity level of the members. i surely would have seen much worse if i made these statements in a honda board.
Well as apologies go, not the strongest I've ever seen, but i spose its close nuff for government work. No one expects (or wants) this board to be a love fest where never is heard a discouraging word, but general attacks on the entire community aren't going to win you many friends here. It seems to me, if you disagree with a poster, you tell him (her) and as long as the language is reasonable, the moderators will let you have a vigorous debate. Look at the bright side, I'm sure this little thread probably gave the moderators heartburn, many of the posts (undoubtably including some of mine) were probably pushing the limit of what is allowed here.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:40 AM
ZBarrister

Your sorry for those you offended...well ain't that nice...here's a quote you had about my obviously humorous post:

" grow up, the only way you would be offended is if you ARE an idiot who doesn't know much about cars. "

And of course you know nothing about me. Or how much i know about cars.

Well here's what we know about you from your own website:

"My first car was a gray Celica. It was all fun and stuff for a while since it was my first car. After 3 years of driving that car. I saved enough to buy me a 2000 Civic Si, I just recently completely paid it off, so it's all mine now. Now I saved enough to buy me a 2001 Infiniti I30 with Navigation. That car is completely different from the Si. Which is good, the Si for fun, the I30 for luxury..
I really like this picture, it was taken on a mountain road, I forget where, it had just rained.
I study engineering right now, work in an engineering company, go to a Christian Church, hate tailgaters but I still tailgate others, can't stand liars, people who are late, I don't get enough sleep, my computer crashes too often, bla bla.."

From this i conclude the following:

Your going from a Civic to an Infiniti.
Your not going to have a Z anytime in the near future.
You came to a Z forum and were condescending
You have platinum member...more true than you know!
Your a hypocrite.

Well that pretty much sums it up!

Hope this makes you feel like you were on the Honda board!!

PS: Your still a tool!
Old 08-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Danimsta

hate tailgaters but I still tailgate others
if thats being a hypocrite... gimme the credit
if its not... just ignore the post....
Old 08-04-2002, 10:28 PM
330R

Thumbs down

Matt, on behalf of Honda owners... thanks alot

There are so many cool Honda owners who are knowledgeable about their cars, and not only that, are knowledgeable and show respect for other marques as well. Why? Because they're true car enthusiasts. They may not have enough money for an E46 M3, but they can tell you all about the car and would love to have one! And a few have made it to that level of success and still hang around Honda forums, or even still continue to own that fun Honda they take to the autocross or to work.

Unfortunately there are many with an elitist attitude who are condescending to others, such as but not exclusive to some S2000 and Integra Type R owners who feel personally attacked to see:

1) an owner who doesn't know every last detail about the drivetrain
2) an owner who doesn't do their own maintenance or install their own parts
3) an owner who installs an exterior part that the observer considers "rice" - LED washer nozzles, etc

I remember S2000 folks who would get into an absolute uproar when they learned of a 17 year old member on the forum and how he wanted to do this or that upgrade to the car. They felt personally attacked. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with their reaction.

The point I want to make is, you're going to drive yourself crazy and come off being a fool if you worry so much about the knowledge and car habits of other owners. Many of the folks here are business professionals, and I'd say the median age is higher than you'd find on Club Si. That's nothing against Civic Si owners, but the older someone is, the less likely they're going to care to be talked down to, like you did this community. Even if you tried this on the Integra Type R forum on honda-tech, you'd be flamed out of the place.

But yes, thank you. The last thing we needed was another "Crusader on the Behalf of Honda Motor Company" to make us look like idiots.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:24 AM
rickski

Default The "D" and "R"

Somebody asked where the "D" was? It's actually "R". Since it's a sports car you put it in "R". (for race)

Old 08-05-2002, 01:39 AM
rouxeny

Let me just come out and say it. This whole thread sucks. I'm not impressed with the behaviour of people on this site and I'm somewhat surprised the mods have let it continue. Give the guy a break, everybody (yes, everybody) has said something dumb or inappropriate at some time. The guy has apologized multiple times and is likely not as much of a tool as has been described. This is not directed at anybody in particular, but, there are a number of new Charter Members here fueling the fire. It's not a criteria of membership, but I think it's implied that the CM's should behave in a civilized fashion, per the previously stated guidelines posted by Jay. No, I don't suggest we become mindless sheep, but this is ridiculous. We have some degree of responsibility to see that this site is run "right."

Jay, please edit if I'm overstepping.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:44 AM
rickski

I agree, it does. Just trying to "lighten the mood". Sorry.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:01 AM
KCZ

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look at the "occupation" threads, you'll find that there are a lot of people on this list who are well-educated, with advanced degrees and/or challenging jobs in engineering, medicine, law, business, computer technology, etc, etc. I don't think anyone here should feel that s/he has to apologize or be made to feel like a moron just because s/he hasn't learned the finer points of a limited slip rear differential. It's great that there are people on this list who can provide that expertise when requested---look at the thread "Can some of you more knowledgeable guys..." explain the difference between TCS and VDC.

Last edited by KCZ; 08-05-2002 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:57 AM
tbcz

rouxeny,

Thanks for stepping in and saying something. I encourage any of the CMs or regulars to remind others (especially newcomers) that we like to keep it civil in here. Not that you can't go at it, but leave the personal attacks and name calling out. If you see a thread getting out of hand, please PM Jay or one of the mods. As the site continues to grow, it gets harder and harder to put out fires. And it's much more difficult to put them out once they have been allowed to burn for 15 or 20 posts. Personally, I think considering the large increase in members over the past couple of months, the atmosphere has remained very friendly. Everyone who is here to learn and share is to be commended for that.