Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

3M Clear Bra install pics (XPel Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 08:30 AM
Ralphus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy paid over $700, and the other guy paid almost $500. Given the cost, in both money and in decreased looks, it doesn't make sense to me.

However, in your case RODH, if it really does look a lot better after a week, and for $300, that does seem like a worthwhile proposition.

I don't think I would do it on a dark color car though, white or silver are probably a lot less noticeable. You have a close up pic?

BTW, when I have my car repainted, I am usually getting a new fascia, fiberglass hood, etc. So yes, I am having funs at the body shop, in a way.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:53 AM
WashUJon

I just got my first rock chip (its pretty deep, although not too big) on the front bumper right in front of the driver's side wheel. I haven't had ANY other nicks or damage on the front end yet but someone going the other way must have kicked a rock up at me at some point.

I'm now considering the clear bra. Do you think Jim will come out to Skokie? I may give him a call and see what the deal is. Do I have to clay the car? I have 3 coats of blackfire on it now. Does he do the claying, anyway? I assume you have to wait a couple of weeks before you can wax on top of the bra, right?

Thanks for the info and recommendation.

-Jon
Old 05-12-2003, 08:56 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rodH
does that cover your lights, mirrors, A-pillar and first 5 inches of you roof and door edges too????
umm...can we say overkill??? Why don't you just clear bra the whole damn car while you're at it...
Old 05-12-2003, 09:02 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Good idea, I also want to have my dashboard to have a clear bra!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:04 AM
fotodad

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
umm...can we say overkill??? Why don't you just clear bra the whole damn car while you're at it...
Can ya do that?
Old 05-12-2003, 10:12 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

They have a clear bra kit, (see thread) but the film comes in 48" rolls thus the film ending half way at the hood. You could put another roll up to it but then there would be a seam and my bet is it would not look good. Seems that best coverage is with the kit because it covers areas most exposed to chipping. The question is if the seams bother you or not. If not, I think it is the best option to protect paint. IMHO, regular bras are not good looking and cause as many peroblems as they solve.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Ralphus

That goes back to the "why not cover your whole car in plastic?" question.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:35 AM
labshark7

The question should actuall be why dont you guys care about the look of your car?

Some of us take the appearance of our cars very seriously.

If you think $500.00 is expensive, yet you dont think twice about spending $4,500 on a set of wheel/tires, your economics need some work.

As for having the bumper repainted, are you crazy? T

o paint match and refinish the bumper and hood would cost close to $1,000.00, if you had any hope in the world of matching the factory paint quality.

It is your dime, but dont knock it. It sounds like 95% of you have never seen the bra in person. The pictures were taken at an extreme angle to show you guys what the bra looks like under abnormal light conditions (a sun low in the sky).

Eric
Old 05-12-2003, 11:11 AM
happypants

Originally posted by WashUJon
I'm now considering the clear bra. Do you think Jim will come out to Skokie?
Yes, he will go anywhere in the Chicagoland area.

I may give him a call and see what the deal is. Do I have to clay the car?
No. Actually, even if your car is dirty he will apply some cleaner to remove dirt and wax/sealant.

I have 3 coats of blackfire on it now. Does he do the claying, anyway?
No, claying really wouldn't help and make the process take longer.

I assume you have to wait a couple of weeks before you can wax on top of the bra, right?
He said to wait a week or so to let any remaining moisture evaporate from under the plastic. If your car is a daily driver and in the sun, it will cure faster. Unfortunately for me, my car is in the garage most of the time. More incentive to drive when sunny!!

Thanks for the info and recommendation.

-Jon
Sure thing! Tell Jim that Bob with the Blue 350Z recommended his services. He'll know who I was because mine was the first blue 350Z he did. I don't get anything for the recommendation.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:18 AM
happypants

Originally posted by Ralphus
I don't think I would do it on a dark color car though, white or silver are probably a lot less noticeable. You have a close up pic?
Jim said on a white car you will notice a slight tint to the film, sort of a yellowish tint.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:27 PM
6kLaunch

I have a brickyard Z and installed the clear bra last November by Krinkov

Overall the bra is great. No rock chips of any kind, however keeping the bra clean on the edges is a chore. Silver or white cars will have no problem, however black and brickyard cars will have to invest some time meticulasly cleaning the edges of the film of wax residue. Brushing the edge with a toothbrush will help, but not solve the problem. Also, the cut edge of the material takes on a whitish look where it is exposed. Make sure that the pieces are cut clean and not frayed or jagged. I have an edge that is jagged on the hood line that drives me nuts. On a light colored car, you will never see it, but on a dark car, it is very easy to see.

I have used a black colored wax around the cut edges that leaves a dark residure rather than a white residue. It works pretty well. I actually had to take a black permanent marker to a couple of edges to elliminate the cut edge white look. This was a problem around the mirrors mostly.

Like I said, I like the product, but it does take some work to keep it looking nice on dark cars.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by labshark7

It is your dime, but dont knock it. It sounds like 95% of you have never seen the bra in person. The pictures were taken at an extreme angle to show you guys what the bra looks like under abnormal light conditions (a sun low in the sky).

Eric
You're right, I will wait until I see one in person to pass judgement, but if it costs $700, that's still silly.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:44 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a quote today, $400 for the full front end, an addition $75 for the headlights. So those who think it's outrageously expensive, call around.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Zship

Well I found out the hard way. First day out I got a huge rock chip out of the front bumper. I decided I was not going to be happy with chips all over the front bumper so I removed it and had a friend fix the chip. I also removed the Nissan Emblem and sprayed the bumper. He said the factory paint was really soft.

I took the car to the Dent Man in NJ. He is a factory installer for Xpel, Avery and a new company called Chipguard. They all use the same 3M material. Chipguard is new to this area and was willing to make the perfect kit for the 350Z. We took their original kit and re-measured everything to get a kit that fits perfect. The seams go right to the edges and actually fits much better than the other kits. In addition they made me a special kit which does not have the front bumper emblem cut out.

I only got the bumper kit, but this includes the mirrors as well. The Dent Man also gave me enough extra material to cover the headlights as well. He said you do not need the extra thick kits everyone else is selling because the lens is plastic not glass and only needs to be protected from chips, not breakage.

I have had the kit for several weeks and I take the highway every day. I have not had any chips on the hood and because the seams disappear under the hood, you can't tell it is on the car at all. Several friends have looked at the car and don't even notice until I tell them it is there.

By the way, the Chipguard kit is much less than the others.

Anyone interested should contact Bill the Dent Man at:

609-298-6551
Old 05-15-2003, 02:01 PM
mark350

I think I would like to do the clear bra on my car....anyone have pics of it installed on a silverstone?

Also any recomendations for good installers in AZ? Thanks, Mark.
Old 05-15-2003, 04:46 PM
cyberz350

I've actually heard bad things about these clear bras. I've heard things like problems with it sticking, turning yellow, messing up the paint. Is there any credibility to those complaints? Also are there any reputable shops in Socal.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:17 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Originally posted by cyberz350
I've actually heard bad things about these clear bras. I've heard things like problems with it sticking, turning yellow, messing up the paint. Is there any credibility to those complaints? Also are there any reputable shops in Socal.
Cyber350z: I hope this helps:

A quality installation is the key. Go to http://www.clearbra.com/ and get a list of trained installers. I spoke to Edre at Envisage design labs in Torrance Calif. He claims they are the oldest installers of this product on the west coast. Lets say you have them install it and do not like the way it looks, they will give a money back 60 day warranty meaning if you do not like it for any reason within 60 days, they will peel it off and give you a full refund. Of couse that is just the warranty for if you do not like the looks of the installation. Additional warranties are included of course. I would suggest that if you are considering this type of product that you call him at (323) 466-0608 or another certified installer like him at addresses they give for installers. A majority of the complaints I see on this thread are related to poor installations not the product. Many want to be tint guys are trying to learn this product by doing your car. Yes, it is slightly cheaper but it is a crappy installation.

This product is not for everyone but this product is for no one with a poor installation.....if you do it, do it right. I think you will find some people love it, others don't. Most of who dont had a poor installation. I hope this helps.

Jeff