Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z vs. Mustang GT - not another one of "those" posts, I promise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Bodhisattva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z vs. Mustang GT - not another one of "those" posts, I promise.

Yes, yes - the dreaded comparisson. You've seen it a thousand times, yet.. not really - this isn't a simply "which is better?" post, but rather a mindful comparisson and a request for input on specifics. Not a generalization, not a "who will win?!" thread, but some honest to goodness investigative research from someone who likes both cars - a lot.

The Stang

Torque: The Mustang GT can pull on a 350z off the line when both cars are equally driven. They're right about the same weight, but the Stang has the torque advantage, allowing it to muscle ahead and stay ahead given the power curve on bone-stock comparissons. This is a small advantage only, mind you - with these two cars, it seems to be a true driver's race. You can easily bog down or spin off valuable time in the Stang with this advantage.

Modability: Aftermarket parts flow more readily and at less expense for the Stang, and tend to give more bang for the buck. Straight down the line, you gain more horsepower per dollar burned with the Mustang, which is an attractive option.

Sound: While the 350z sounds quite nice and respectable for an import tuner, which is a rare thing indeed - the Mustang has done a good job with their exhaust this time around, and the aftermarket options are widespread and varied in their tones and aggression. You can have a truly ungodly sounding beast with all 8 cylinders under the hood of the Stang.

Cost: This seems to be in the mustangs favor, however I am torn on this. The Stang has a cheaper sticker price, but insurance costs of a GT model will probably even that out and surpass the discount afforded at purchase time, over the first few years.

Practicality: The Stang has a backseat, and more trunkspace. Period. This one is a tough call - you can only have one person enjoy your car at a time in the Zed, and while I wouldn't call being stuffed into the back pocket of the Mustang's rear "enjoyable", you get the point.

The Zed

Interior: While both car interiors have their flaws, the feel of the 350z interior is simply better. This can be debated, but you feel like you're in a racecar the moment you slide into the hip-hugging, bow-shaped interior of the Zed. It's more like a cockpit than a car interior, with it's gauges, moving steering unit, wheel controls, and seat-back subwoofers. Plus, it looks less plain overall. The flow is gorgeous with the doorhandles melding into the doors, nearly invisible.. so on and so forth.

Handling: There is no debate to be had, here. The suspension work on the Zed is track-quality, and can have you dipping and slipping through corners like a madman, easily trumping the Mustang's handling outside of straight lines. However, the ride doesn't really feel any better. It just performs better.

System: The sound system in the Zed seems to perform better overall, and it's probably due to the speaker placements and overall design. The acoustic balancing seems to work fairly well, not to mention the fact that you can actually hear the music over the roar of the exhaust note compared to a Stang with a throaty aftermarket exhaust.

Exotic Appeal: Some of the aftermarket bodykit stylings available for the Zed are classy yet give off an extremely exotic appeal. While the Mustang can achieve that truly aggressive, powerful look, I feel that the exotic look is slightly more refined and interesting. Both are good, don't get me wrong - this is perhaps the most debatable part of the post.

Rarity: This varies from region to region, but where I live.. Mustangs are a dime a dozen. Everyone has one - there are three on my street alone, one right across from me (always sitting there in his open garage, visible each tiem I look out the damned window). There are far fewer 350z models, and thus they have that more rarified sportscar appeal. When you see one, it really pops out at you. While most of the Stangs here are bone stock, there are a ton of models with at least racing stripes thrown on.. which makes it really hard to really catch anyone's attention until you have really modified your appearance with a good amount of modifications.

Give me your own thoughts as to what the advantages and disadvantages are between the two cars. Try and keep things objective, and avoid dragging the thread down into a blind fanboy argument. I'm genuinely interested in some comparisons and opionions, here.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

it looks like you all the the info. there isnt much more to add. get whatever you like better. obviously posting here, more people are gonna lean towards the Z. in any case, this thread will turn into "one of those threads" no matter what you do.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
Tubbs

350z advantage - not a Mustang
350z disadvantage - not a Ferrari
Mustang advantage - can kill hippies better. does great burnouts on the street.
Mustang disadvantage - It's a Mustang.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM
taurran

I ran a 2006 Mustang GT with a Vortech Supercharger installed. Both cars stock motor. I pulled on him from a 40 roll and he pulled on me from a 60 roll. I'm fairly sure he was making 20-40whp more than me, so I was happy that my car hung like it did seeing as he has a major displacement advantage.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

What does the GT run in the 1/4 bone stock?

Also, I'm not sure what the 'Stang really weighs, but the Z weighs in around/under 3100lbs (this is weighed at the track).

From a roll, the Z has the advantage due to gearing, weight and aero. Especially now with the '07 Z.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Sea Bass

As someone who loves both cars as much as the OP, I gotta say I can relate. I debated for a while which car to get, because there's something so beastly, so feral, about stomping the accelerator on the GT and feeling it shove you forward.

However, the Z won in the end. Why? Since the OP (love the username, btw) already made a good list of points, I won't repeat them, but simply state that I agree with everything said, and just add this:

What do you want to do with the car?
It costs a lot of money to make the Z faster. It also costs a lot of money to make the GT HANDLE better. Which deficiency would you rather work on if you have an interest in modding? Personally, I want a car that is pretty damn fast but handles brilliantly, rather than a car that has better low end grunt, but isn't *much* faster, and is saddled with a very out of date suspension system.

That, and the interior of the GT is really a negative. It's not "bad", but it's so damn plain it's sad, really. No flair, no style, and the headrests on the stock seats are ANYTHING but comfortable for the neck.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Also, I'm not sure what the 'Stang really weighs, but the Z weighs in around/under 3100lbs (this is weighed at the track).
On paper the Z is about 100 lbs lighter. I have a feeling there is a bigger difference if you actually put both cars on scales.

edit : I meant both 07 models.

Last edited by taurran; 08-23-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mustangs are cheaper because they have a bargain 6 cylinder.

Mustangs more of an "Muscle Car" built for dragging.

What V-8 cannot be "loud"

My opinion after driving the GT Mustang is that it has torque. The Mustang is more refined and probably the best one built . It still has it creeks and rattling problems when tossing the car around turns.

It is just a matter of preference.

my 2 cents
Old 08-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Sea Bass

What does the GT run in the 1/4 bone stock?

From a roll, the Z has the advantage due to gearing, weight and aero. Especially now with the '07 Z.
GT Stangs weigh 3550 lbs, according to Ford's scales. The Z weighs between 3200 and 3400 lbs according to Nissan's scales, depending on trim and year.

A Z weighing 3100 lbs at the track cannot be compared to the GT weighed on the manufacturer's scales. We'd need a track-weighed GT to compare.

Bottom line, the Z is lighter, but by how much really depends on the year and trim.

As for the 07 Z advantage, I don't think so. Mid 13s in the quarter is about what the GT gets. I know some 07 Zs can do better, but my point is that both cars 1/4-mile times still overlap one another quite a bit so it really does come down to driver skill and track conditions.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:19 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Phil
GT Stangs weigh 3550 lbs, according to Ford's scales. The Z weighs between 3200 and 3400 lbs according to Nissan's scales, depending on trim and year.

A Z weighing 3100 lbs at the track cannot be compared to the GT weighed on the manufacturer's scales. We'd need a track-weighed GT to compare.

Bottom line, the Z is lighter, but by how much really depends on the year and trim.

As for the 07 Z advantage, I don't think so. Mid 13s in the quarter is about what the GT gets. I know some 07 Zs can do better, but my point is that both cars 1/4-mile times still overlap one another quite a bit so it really does come down to driver skill and track conditions.
I wasn't comparing the actual weight of a Z to the manufacture's posted weight... that's why I said "I'm not sure what the 'Stang really weighs".

Equal drivers, equal skill, the '07 Z will win if the GT is running mid-13's. Although, I coulda sworn I seen better times posted by stock GT's than that.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

350Z vs Mustang thread #228.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
taurran

I wasn't comparing the actual weight of a Z to the manufacture's posted weight... that's why I said "I'm not sure what the 'Stang really weighs".

Equal drivers, equal skill, the '07 Z will win if the GT is running mid-13's. Although, I coulda sworn I seen better times posted by stock GT's than that.
Some people consider "stock" a completely stock car with drag radials. I'm too lazy to search for times on bone stock GT's down to the tires. Someone go do it.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by taurran
Some people consider "stock" a completely stock car with drag radials. I'm too lazy to search for times on bone stock GT's down to the tires. Someone go do it.

+1

Mustang? ...................................................
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
fklentz

Before I bought my Roadster last year I first test drove a 07 Mustang GT. I was really impressed with the comfort of the mustang and for me being 6'5" at 265 the mustang is way more comfortable. I bought the ZR because not that many are around, performance was comparable and the Z is way better on fuel. With all the mod's I've done everywhere I go I get compliments, the COOL factor is just on a scale that the Mustang will never get hands down.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
jruocco

I had a mustang before I got the Z. I contemplated getting a new stang but after checking one out there was no way. The interior quality is horrible in my opinion, everything is big and bulky and 100% plastic. It looks amazingly cheap. And when you start getting a GT with a few options you are up at 30k ( msrp which can be gotten lower) While my Z was in the shop getting some door dings fixed it actually rented a new 07 stang. And after driving it around for 2 days I can say that the Z was def the best choice. I even looked at an 04 Cobra which is great car but used they were in the high 20's and coming out of warranty (this was in 06).
Old 08-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Get_Zwole

lol at dave i love those posts the make me laugh. I ran a 06 last night on my way down the 35 south. From bout 70 to 130 i pulled on him continuously wasnt hard but he was still losing ground. I can only imagine if it was the Z and a GT on a track that wasnt in a straight line wow, dont wanna think about that kill lol.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Electricchild

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Mustangs are cheaper because they have a bargain 6 cylinder.

Mustangs more of an "Muscle Car" built for dragging.

What V-8 cannot be "loud"

My opinion after driving the GT Mustang is that it has torque. The Mustang is more refined and probably the best one built . It still has it creeks and rattling problems when tossing the car around turns.

It is just a matter of preference.

my 2 cents
The V6 mustangs, while being a complete disgrace, start in the late teens and low 20k range, but the GT deluxe and premiums start around 26-28k... just a little bit cheaper than a new Z. And I don't know how easy of a time people have had with haggling down the price for the Stangs.

The point is, even excluding the V6 model, the Stang is still cheaper, save for the GT500.

Unfortunately, the reason I would never want a GT is because they are too easily confused for the V6 model to non enthusiasts, which you see every damn person out there driving. The Z cannot be confused with any "lower" end model. That's why I like it. The Z is a Z, the GT "can" be a V6 in the corner of the eye.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Fairly Z

Personally, I think that the Z is, to put it quite simply, a better car. While both cars may have similar attributes when it comes down to the foot on the floor, the Z's handling exceeds the Mustang's by far. It's also got at least double the amount of technology integrated in the design. Oh, and I work in mobile electronics, and we take these cars apart day in and day out. If you want a real comparison, I'll put you up to a dare. You strip the panels off a Mustang, and then strip the panels off a Z. Then, come to me and tell me which one has a better build quality. For me, that's enough said.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Skywalker350Z

I agree with Electricchild on how the v6 can be confused with the GT. I'm in Florida and it seems like every other car I see is either an older Mustang or the newer Mustang models. Don't get me wrong a black on black GT would be nice, but I'd take a Z over a GT any day just because theirs not as many Z's where I'm at.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh noes... not another one of these threads....

Quick Reply: 350z vs. Mustang GT - not another one of "those" posts, I promise.