Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant
Old 08-26-2007, 09:02 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We keep it real. That is just how we roll.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
silver350tn

lol its not bad i dont even think about it honestly it just sucks in traffic on the interstate
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
phorbo007

I thought the 07 clutches were significantly lighter? I have an 2004 Z 6MT and I DD it daily and I live in hilly San Francisco so you know how tough it can be for me!
Nero

Originally Posted by usmanasif
We keep it real. That is just how we roll.

i city drive my MT DAILY...i cant drive AT, too boring. i need something to do or else i fall asleep or something
soleil
NolaZcc

my Z is my dd...i love it...
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my stiff clutch and notchy shifter. I can't explain it. Feels like a true sports car. Plus after driving this, driving every other manual is cake besides porsches.
chriskabobbers

lol envy. but to be truthfully honest, when people throw that "i'll fall asleep if i drive AT" comment at me ... it's like come on ... on a regular day basis, who the hell really falls asleep driving from where they are to where they need to be? it's just a figure of speech for you to say AT's are gay without actually saying it.

Last edited by chriskabobbers; 08-26-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
LSUmark

Originally Posted by silver350tn
lol its not bad i dont even think about it honestly it just sucks in traffic on the interstate
i always felt this was an odd comment

like when people say, "yea, but having a manual sucks in traffic"

i always thought to myself, its not like driving in traffic in an auto is awesome or anything. driving in traffic sucks no matter if you have an auto or a manual tranny

jmo...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
chriskabobbers

Originally Posted by LSUmark
i always felt this was an odd comment

like when people say, "yea, but having a manual sucks in traffic"

i always thought to myself, its not like driving in traffic in an auto is awesome or anything. driving in traffic sucks no matter if you have an auto or a manual tranny

jmo...
yeah but larger chance of stalling
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
KG350Z

Come to the dark side yo.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:12 PM
LSUmark

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
lol fair enough

though ive never stalled in traffic after like my first week or so driving a stick

ive driven both and im a fan of manual trannys but can understand why people buy autos

i even drive an auto now since no one in my family can drive a stick except my father and i. and neither can my gf
Old 08-26-2007, 09:16 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSUmark
lol fair enough

though ive never stalled in traffic after like my first week or so driving a stick

ive driven both and im a fan of manual trannys but can understand why people buy autos

i even drive an auto now since no one in my family can drive a stick except my father and i. and neither can my gf

I agree with you. Only way i would buy an automatic sports car is if my gf/wife or family members needed to drive it. A lot of my young friends drive an auto because their cars were bought by their parents and those were teh guidelines or getting the car as a graduation present. As long as you are not one of those people who put a shiftboot around an automatic shifter, it's ok.

Yeah, i never stalled in traffic. It's pretty hard to do. Driving stick isn't that bad. As long as you don't have the clutch and the break in at the same time in traffic. I have seen too many people do that and kill their clutch.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 PM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Builds hella calf and thigh muscles for sure! (esp. in traffic...ugh)
Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM
vooper

Default I applaud you AT drivers, I really do...

How do you put up with the delayed throttle response? The whole car feels soggy!

And not being able to enjoy the satisfaction of throwing a good rev-matched downshift going into a corner, sometimes coming out with a little tail wiggle at higher revs?

What about when you abruptly put your foot down and you have to wait a second before the ECU realizes that a downshift is necessary to match your intentions?

Honestly, I feel that a manual transmission is essential to the sports car driving experience. Love that snick-snack shifting through the gears feeling!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
LSUmark

Unhappy

Originally Posted by vooper
How do you put up with the delayed throttle response? The whole car feels soggy!

And not being able to enjoy the satisfaction of throwing a good rev-matched downshift going into a corner, sometimes coming out with a little tail wiggle at higher revs?

What about when you abruptly put your foot down and you have to wait a second before the ECU realizes that a downshift is necessary to match your intentions?
u dont, lol

it sucks imo, but with family and other obligations its necessary.

suffice it to say my next sports car will be a five/six speed
Old 08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the Z's stock clutch is heavy... you need to hit the gym.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
??? Can't remember the last time I stalled a car in traffic and I've been driving a stick ever since I received my license. However, I'd rather do a burnout than stall....

he,he,he ... You just make sure your rolling a bit in traffic if you can. You can end up with problems if you are in traffic on an incline and the guy behind you parks on your bumper. I just use e-brake if they are within 6" and switch lanes to a more considerate driver. The only time I really have a problem is at toll plazas where you go 10ft re clutch move 10 more feet clutch for miles and miles. (IE: Bay Bridge).

My leg get a good work out on those days.... But, it just evens out my soccer leg so it's OK.

Imo this clutch is too light for a sports car. All of my other rides have been stiffer. Maybe it's just my car.
The tranny on mine is as smooth as butter too. Get is a Vette sometime and compare. Vette's are a lot better than the old school Mopar, Ford, or Chevy trannies. Those prior to CF with counterweighting were a real bear at 3500lbs pressure used for racing. Oh, those were the days.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 08-26-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Strider619

the 07 is my first MT, so I don't have any idea how other clutches feel out there. I can drive her all day long though. On the contrary, I've had a couple of instances where I was really struggling to stay awake with the AT (my beater, 96 maxima). MT really does keep you on your toes, that and the Z is freagin fun to drive, no way you'll fall asleep with this car.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350
I agree with you. Only way i would buy an automatic sports car is if my gf/wife or family members needed to drive it. A lot of my young friends drive an auto because their cars were bought by their parents and those were teh guidelines or getting the car as a graduation present. As long as you are not one of those people who put a shiftboot around an automatic shifter, it's ok.

Yeah, i never stalled in traffic. It's pretty hard to do. Driving stick isn't that bad. As long as you don't have the clutch and the break in at the same time in traffic. I have seen too many people do that and kill their clutch.

Lol - Oh you mean like this:

Works for me .....

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...