Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

CAR lap tims: New Z matches M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM
umsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the 335i was supposed to be compared to the g37 which on most mags the g37 is supposedly the winner. It wont be for a while probably till 2010 or 2011 that nissan puts out a new z with comparable power but price will no in doubt increase if that happens
Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM
skaterbasist

So, wheres the proof? I don't see any proof of the New Z matching the E46's M3 around the track, which is already a 6 year old car. Even so, it shouldn't matter, since the new M3 is another class ahead of the 350Z; you can get a new base Z for $28,000, the base E46 M3 ran for $47,000 at cheapest... oranges to apples.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by zpak
This is most undoubtedly true. That new M3...she's a monster. Unless Nissan wakes up and smells the coffee and makes some radical engineering changes, the E92 M3 will be difficult to beat.
The 350Z was never competing with the M3. Nissan has, to date, never had an answer to the BMW nor will they have an answer unless its wearing an Infiniti badge.

As far as the GT-R, it will not be competing with the M3; it's going for bigger toys in the performance division. Like I said before, it will be Infiniti's job to take care of the performance luxury cars out there since Infiniti is Nissan's luxury division.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
Archbishop
Banned

Originally Posted by porschefan1013
Let me make it a little more clear for you retard....in case the banana picture didn't do it for you.

You don't make a claim about a lap time and then go to the trouble of posting pictures of lap times, obviously to support your claim, when there isn't anything of substance in those pictures that actually confirms anything you're saying.

*If you don't want to take my word for it, you have two options. Subscribe to CAR and wait for the next issue, with the Updated lap times, or Pick up the current issue of CAR take pictures of the 350Z's Comparison Vs the Z4, and post them up. I'm not stopping you*

What exactly was the point of posting the pictures again? Could this not have waited until you could take a picture of the new lap time? And why didn't you take a picture of the new lap?

*CAR doesn't list the Newest laptimes obtained in the same issue on the fast lap Section. The cars in Red are newest additions to the list, tested Last issue. Both Motortrend, and Car and Driver practice this as well.*

AAAANNNDDD...big ****ing deal. A 350Z matches an M3's lap time. It's not like the car is undefeatable (although technically, matching isn't beating it now is it? ). And I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the 350Z is a more than capable car on the track. But once again, my point is proven...you're still comparing it to the M3. That ought to tell you something. It's still THE car to try and beat...and they haven't even made the damn thing for a year now. So why don't you wait just a little bit longer,even though it appears waiting might actually kill you, see what the new M3 does and report back to us. I have a feeling the 350Z will once again be playing catch-up for the next few years.
The M3 is all new for this year, and the Z has received updates about every year, though, its still largly the same car that appeared in 2002. Comparing a brand new Car, to a car that is at the end of its lifecycle really doesn't prove anything. CAR actually made the comparison between the Z's laptime, and the M3, not I. And The Z being able to match the now previous M3 is a good thing, further proving its track credentials.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
The 350Z was never competing with the M3. Nissan has, to date, never had an answer to the BMW nor will they have an answer unless its wearing an Infiniti badge.
This is true, and although I might be inclined to agree with you, a whole slew of folks on bimmerforums.com can't stop posting "kills stories" against the Z (yeah, so who cares what they say, and a car forum isn't exactly quotable "proof" of anything, but I'm just saying...). Design for design (market niche), it's true that they're not direct competitors, but I know a lot of buyers who were wavering between the two when choosing to buy a car.

And even if it were "wearing an Infiniti badge", I don't think there's a single Infiniti that can come close to matching the M3 (or any of BMW's M-series of vehicles). "Regular" BMW's...maybe.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
umsta

I still don't understand why people are comparing these 2 cars that are in 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT PRICE RANGES. This is a retarded argument.... Nissan isn't supposed to go against BMW its supposed to go against the upper grade base level brands.

If your a baller that can stomach the price of maintaining a European vehicle then sure but I sure as hell don't want to pay their ridiculous maintenance costs but hey thats cause my pockets aren't so deep. So just let it die and let us have our peace?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 PM
skaterbasist

This is true, and although I might be inclined to agree with you, a whole slew of folks on bimmerforums.com can't stop posting "kills stories" against the Z (yeah, so who cares what they say, and a car forum isn't exactly quotable "proof" of anything, but I'm just saying...). Design for design (market niche), it's true that they're not direct competitors, but I know a lot of buyers who were wavering between the two when choosing to buy a car.
Like you said, I don't think "Kill Stories" have any relevancy. The 350Z is just one of the more common street racing cars; I also see alot of Mustang Kills on their Kill Story sections, but I doubt that means that they see Mustangs as competition... atleast not in real market. It's more of a performance competition on those who street race.

And even if it were "wearing an Infiniti badge", I don't think there's a single Infiniti that can come close to matching the M3 (or any of BMW's M-series of vehicles). "Regular" BMW's...maybe.
Completely agree. As of now, there isn't an Infiniti that can compete with the M3; which is why I believe its only a matter of time before Infiniti responds. Lexus just recently responded to the M3 with the IS-F, Audi has the S4, and Infiniti? Well nothing as of now...

Originally Posted by umsta
I still don't understand why people are comparing these 2 cars that are in 2 TOTALLY DIFFERENT PRICE RANGES. This is a retarded argument.... Nissan isn't supposed to go against BMW its supposed to go against the upper grade base level brands.

If your a baller that can stomach the price of maintaining a European vehicle then sure but I sure as hell don't want to pay their ridiculous maintenance costs but hey thats cause my pockets aren't so deep. So just let it die and let us have our peace?
I agree with your statement.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Zendem

This is most undoubtedly true. That new M3...she's a monster. Unless Nissan wakes up and smells the coffee and makes some radical engineering changes, the E92 M3 will be difficult to beat.

No...nothing drastic needs to happen, they're not in competition with each other. The Z needs to whip all cars in it's own competing class, and the Z does this very well and outsells them too. The M3, while i would love it if the Z whooped it's *** is a lot more expensive and not really any kind of a benchmark for Nissan. Nissan is worried about the Cayman, boxster, Z4 and the TT.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
FileTitan

wheres the Dodge Viper ?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM
kleefton

There is absolutely no way in hell the 07' Zhas a chance to compete with the upcoming M3. And there is also no way in hell any subsequent Z will be able to keep up with the upcoming M3. You're talking about a $60k car here, where the Z is a 30-35k car. There is just no comparison. The new M3 better competes with the upcoming GTR.