Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Possble to pick up the car the day it comes in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Subw00er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possble to pick up the car the day it comes in?

I was wondering what has to be done in order to speed up the delivery process a bit. Can we get insurance and all that dmv stuff out of the way early so we can simply drive off day 1?
Old 08-04-2002, 12:45 AM
dvlad

you have to wait until the dealer has done his PDI. Pre Delivery Inspection.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:42 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard, at least in my area, cars are delivered on Saturday only. This means there may be the chance that the PDI person might not be there. Also you would have to get your finances in order during the business week prior. I don't know if the Saturday thing is correct, it would seem difficult that this schedule is followed everywhere. I bet each area has "their" day.
Old 08-04-2002, 02:26 AM
Scafremon

Default Re: Possble to pick up the car the day it comes in?

Originally posted by Subw00er
I was wondering what has to be done in order to speed up the delivery process a bit. Can we get insurance and all that dmv stuff out of the way early so we can simply drive off day 1?
Dealer takes care of dmv stuff. As for insurance, if you are currently insured, then there is no problem. You have I think (3) business days after buying the car to notify your insurance company. You're covered automiacally for those first 3 days. At least, that is how I think it works in Calif. I see you are located on 'earth'. Not sure how it works on 'earth'.

(Hows the weather there anyway?)
Old 08-04-2002, 05:52 AM
SunsetZ

I think it is actually 30 days that your current insurance will cover a new car. I went several weeks last time and the agent asked why, but no big deal.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:32 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sahara and when I agreed to buy the car (last Thursday) I had to give the guy a copy of my insurance card. Two days later when I took delivery on the car, he had already called my insurance guy and gave them the VIN (which has all the info the insurer needs) and it was all done for me. All I have to do now is wait for the bill from my insurance company and pay it WHOOOOPIE!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:09 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Possble to pick up the car the day it comes in?

Originally posted by Subw00er
I not only want to take it as soon as it comes in but I am trying to see if I can stay on top of the delivery schedule to ensure I am there when the truck gets there because I would like to see every inch that that car is rolled. I want to make sure it doesn't go for any joy rides, I think being in the first batch is more of a concern since it will be new to them as well.

I have heard stories with the new 03 Cobra of everyone in the dealership taking it for rides from the mechanics to salesmen and testing its limits, which with a brand new car I wish to avoid. I am going to baby it for the first 1000 miles or so, it would be nice to know that it hasn't been to 6500 rpms or peeled out before I get it.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:00 PM
MatthewZ

My salesman told me that the owner instructed everybody at the dealership not to even look at these cars the wrong way when they come in. I don't know how much faith I would put in that though.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:33 PM
BigBadBuford

My dealer gave me the same assurance that nobody would do more than look at my car when it comes to the dealership, but I am not sure how true this is. After I ordered my car, I took my 240SX to the dealership's service area to get checked out before I sold it, and the first thing the tech did was bounce the motor off the rev-limiter and lay about 50 feet of rubber right in front of me and the service manager. He didn't even seem to care. Now, that area that preps the car is seperate from the service area, but I don't really want to take a chance. If you really want to make sure they didn't do anything to your car, after you take delivery you could take the car to a shop w/ a trusted mechanic and have them read the ECU on it. It should store data such as max engine RPM, top speed, and even the number of engine misfires. Now, this doesn't really mean that it happened at the dealer since a lot of people would drive your car before it even gets there, but I guess you could sort of use it as a
"scare tactic" if you were really nervous about a tech damaging your car. I had my dealer's word that he would call me as soon as the truck came in so I could watch the entire prep process, so I am not too worried about them messing it up. As long as your car is not prepped before you get there, there will be a slim chance they were out joy-riding since there will probably be isolators in the springs, covers on the brakes and other things that would not allow the car to be driven fast.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Intrepid

Originally posted by SunsetZ
I think it is actually 30 days that your current insurance will cover a new car. I went several weeks last time and the agent asked why, but no big deal.
This varies from state to state. In many states, you MUST have the new insurance when you pick up your car (like in NY).
Old 08-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Zboy

Originally posted by SunsetZ
Just a note. If you are buying the car from out of state and wish to drive it for 2 or 3 days with a temporary dealer plate before your licence plate comes in thru DMV, dealer insurance wont cover the temp plate. You are responsible for your own insurance. At least this is how it works in RI.