Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is that a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:37 AM
KY350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is that a Porsche

Ok, we've all heard the line "is that a Porsche", from the morons who demonstrate their ignorance by not reading / recognizing the Nissan badge on our 350's when they first come across our cars.
When you hear this comment, how do you feel?
Do you feel a great sence of comfort / satisfaction, knowing that your car is beeing compared to one of the all time great sports car producers in the world?
Or do you sheepishly respond by telling them its a Nissan and feel that your car is a cheap mans / womans (for the lady Z owners) Porsche?
Personally, I experience both feelings almost simultaneously. This is because I think the Z is sexy looking, just like a Porsche, and has great performence, somewhat like a Porsche. I guess, I also wish it was a Porsche as I have always wanted to own one.
So how does the statement "is that a Porsche", make you feel?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:26 AM
k2we

The guy who asked me what kind of Porsche I was driving this weekend in Dayton, Ohio was a real putz.. I told him it was a "Nissan Porsche" and I pulled away leaving him sitting at the green light with a blank stare on his face..

I love it...

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 8965 miles since Sept 17th....
Old 05-22-2003, 07:39 AM
mark350

I like the feeling of it being compared to a Porsche (I am also a 911 fanatic). I understand what you mean about feeling like its a cheap mans Porsche but $35+k is not a small chunk of change to some of us. I am proud to own/drive this car and will always take Porsche comparisons as a compliment. My dad drives a 911 Carrera 2 (he has also owned a 240z in the past) and he is blown away by the styling of our cars. At least we are not being labeled like VW Corrados a few years ago "the poor mans Porsche".
Old 05-22-2003, 07:44 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: Is that a Porsche

Similarly posted by KY350
Ok, we've all heard the line "is that a Porsche". When you hear this comment, how do you feel? Do you sheepishly respond by telling them its a Nissan?
When asked, "Is that a Porsche?" I think a good response would be, "No, but I did have one stuck in the grille area once."

WayneTN
Old 05-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Jason Bourne

Default Re: Re: Is that a Porsche

I don't see anything wrong with the term "poor man's Porsche". Some of us got the car for the performance, not to impress others with how much we spent (how crass). I like the fact that my 350z is in the same general performance league as a 911 but cost less than half the price. I could afford a 911 but I would be worried risking it on the track. With this car I get similar handling, driving feel and lap times but if I total it, I can afford to replace it. Its the best of both worlds. Plus, I like the fact that I can tell people I have a Nissan, I always used to cringe when I told people I had a BMW (previous car) and I knew some would think "stuck-up rich kid".

At the same time, my father owns a 996TT and that is in a whole different league, I love that car to death but at $120K it does not represent the performance to $ value that our Nissans have going for them.

I like to think my 350Z is basically like a Porsche 993 with slightly less accurate steering and fun handling. But it is new, has a warranty and still cost me thousands less than a clean, late-model 993.

Jason (long live the poor man's 911!)
Old 05-22-2003, 08:20 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I just love those "it's a poor man's Porsche" comments, when it comes from people that look like they coouldn't afford a Yugo, and besides how many poor men can afford a 30K+ car, I like to think of it as "the smart man's Porsche"
Old 05-22-2003, 09:46 AM
julian

I've thought the rear looks similar to a 911. Kind of like when you see it for a split second and try to ID it.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:59 AM
meatwad79

i had a porsche 914...which was the original poor mans porsche. that car originated the term. i still got looks, no one cares except porsche enthusiasts.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Jason Bourne

Damn, you guys are really obsessed with image and flaunting your (very relative) wealth. I had hoped I was leaving that behind when I switched from the bimmer to the Nissan. Guess I'm not too surprised after seeing all the awful, chrome wheel-type stuff some people are putting on their Zs.

Jason
Old 05-22-2003, 11:37 AM
ChadO

Yes, telling us how much car you can afford and that your father drives a $120k vehicle isn't at all flaunting it...
Old 05-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Jason Bourne

Originally posted by ChadO
Yes, telling us how much car you can afford and that your father drives a $120k vehicle isn't at all flaunting it...
Touche! But I was trying to make a point. I'll admit that you are right though. I'll pay more attention from now on.

Jason
Old 12-26-2003, 07:02 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our car does not look liker a Porsche. It has the headlights of a Celica, the side-cab and rear profile of an Audi TT and the rear headlights of an SC 430. Our car does not look like a Porsche...it has styling elements of several cars in a unique package that is just plain beautiful.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:09 PM
lowrider

Well Guys, I had a 1985 Porsche 944. Great car, I kept it for over 7 years. It is my opinion that if that car stayed in production it would have evolved into something like the current 350Z or G35.

Lou
Old 12-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Jsn350Z

After having my Z for just one month, I had seven people ether ask if it was a porsche, or say it looked like one...
Old 12-26-2003, 09:56 PM
ZPower

Well, the only "cheap man's Porsche" I've ever heard is a 944. I've never had or even heard anyone comparing or saying the Z looks like a Porsche, at least not where I live.

If I did have the comment though, I would probably laugh at the fact that my Z made someone think it's a Porsche, a German sports car that ranks extremely high in my book. In other words, not even a $100K+ car has such a different appearance that makes it different from ours. That's sad. But in reality I think the people making such comments are just ignorant and don't know **** about cars. Personally, I think the cars that look like ours are the Audy TT, the 911, the old 944 and the old Conquest TSI (Starion), but only because of the fender flares. Yeah, even though a 911 is in my lookalike list, if you seriously thing the Z is a Porsche, than sorry but, you don't know **** about cars. No shame, not every guy/girl is a car fanatic.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:43 PM
ThoughtZ

yeah ive had several people comment on the fact it looks like a 60+k car. basically instead of laughing at them i offered them a good deal of 50k for it out the door
Old 12-27-2003, 01:52 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Is that a Porsche

Originally posted by Jason Bourne
I like the fact that I can tell people I have a Nissan, I always used to cringe when I told people I had a BMW (previous car) and I knew some would think "stuck-up rich kid".

Totally feel ya on this one. Around the age of 20 to 21 my main car was a brand new 1999 benz E320. I never asked for the car but my relatives were fortunate enough to swing one my way as a temporary ride. Who am I to complain??
Everytime someone asked me "So what car are you driving nowadays?" I would cringe and give them my response and there was this nasty feeling I got everytime I uttered the word "Mercedes". I felt like a "stuck-up rich kid" like you said above. Not to mention, the ride attracted the wrong type of girls/ people sizing you up and assuming you have tons of dough.

Now "Nissan 350z" that's something I'd be proud to say. It's such an enthusiast car that I'd care less what anybody else thought. The neat thing is...most of the time the name "350z" is enough of an entity itself. You rarely have to point out that it's a nissan.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Jsn350Z

I was called something rather funny...Some ghetto people in a 5.0. They called me a "white ***** fish rich boy."

Iwas just sitting at a light with myfriend in the car, they were next to us blastin their rap music and it sounded like their body panles were going to fall off. We didnt even say a word to them...Some people..

BTW, does anyone know what the hell a ***** fish is???
Old 12-27-2003, 07:34 AM
350zluvr

One guess would be a prickly fish. Something like a porcupine fish or at least in the same family.

Perhaps also a ***** fish might tend to mean to skewer a fish, in which case that would only mean that they got you (like a fish that's been skewered) with their pimp @ss ride in comparison to your's. Sure they might be ridin' on 10s, but I'm sure he keeps them real kleen so in the right kinda lighting they look like 20s.

In most situations of this sort, the proper solution would be to upgrade to spinnas and roll with the bad dogs.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:57 AM
zurn

I’d say, “So, are you like, a moron? it’s a Z. You know, 350Z. They’ve been around in one form another for over 30 years. Wake up man. It’s the 21st century already.”

The car’s been around long enough, with enough of a history. It doesn’t need to be compared to anything else. Anyone who doesn’t know that is a clueless dimwit.

I like Porches. I’d never buy one myself, but I like to look at them. I just don’t see how anyone could look at a Z and think “Porsche”. That’s like looking at a computer and thinking “Television.”

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
....BTW, does anyone know what the hell a ***** fish is???
Illiterate meaningless nonsense. Made up words that mean nothing. Don’t sweat it.

Quick Reply: Is that a Porsche