Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

People happy to be cut off by my Z??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People happy to be cut off by my Z??

OK first of all I am an aggressive driver (I was forced to attend defensive driving courses 3 times already), not to be confused with an ignorant driver. I am certous and nice to whoever shows respect on the road. But in Boston (just ranking #1 worst place to drive in the US for rudeness and competitive driving 3rd straight year) you have to be aggressive or you will never get where you are going. Driving in Boston is more of a sport then transportation, expecially with the mind games the taxi drivers play with you..

Now in the past I have had a few cars (4 exactly being only 24 years old) and normally in Boston when I cut over a lane during stop and go traffic in my rear view I usually catch a middle finger, or somebody mouthing curses or a healthy honk.. Or more commonly people gas it so you can't get infront of them and smirk at you.. This is all in a day's commute in the city where a directional is a sign of weakness.. But now when I cut somebody off people smile and point out my car to passengers and chat about it.. Also people even let me go infront of them sometimes, even getting a wave now and then!!

Anybody notice such changes in behavior when your driving around town? My Z has made my daily commute (all 8 miles and 45 mins of it) alot more tolerable.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:57 PM
kohlersc

I have gotten it at stop lights and mostly stop signs all the time. People that get to a stop sign way before me won't actually go until I get though. They will wave me though constantly. Not sure if people just really don't want to hit me, or if they just want to see the car from all the angles.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:34 PM
buzzdsm

This is one reason why I love living in Iowa. My commute 12 miles and it takes me 13 minutes and that's in the biggest city.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Inova

actually ever since ive been driving my z, ppl have been more a$$holish drivers. i guess it's all about where you live, cuz in texas "bigger is better (or so they think)" is the way to go. ppl try to cut me off or whatever more than i'm used to.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:40 PM
zeroday

Originally posted by Inova
actually ever since ive been driving my z, ppl have been more a$$holish drivers. i guess it's all about where you live, cuz in texas "bigger is better (or so they think)" is the way to go. ppl try to cut me off or whatever more than i'm used to.
I'm with you bro...I feel like people have it out for me when I'm driving the z. Can't figure out for the life of me why this is. When i'm driving my daily driver (integra coupe) I don't notice any agression; but in the z I feel like it's me against the world.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:48 PM
ray_7

Same thing happened to me.

Every now and then people will let me switch lanes where normally people will just drive away and not letting me change lanes.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:48 AM
themyst

Its ok, I give ricers and old people right of way even when its not theirs. I can avoid accidents that could be caused by male ego. Sometimes its just not worth it.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:04 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I get a lot of "Wow. Do you just love that car?" when I'm stopped at a light or something, but when I'm actually driving, different people are usually giving me dirty looks and trying to cut me off. It's so strange the mixed signals I get from this car.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:35 AM
328skidpad

Default pittsburgh

most people in pittsburgh think that I am driving the new prototype porche and thus are at such awe that they automatically slow down. Its funny how ricers often avoid me although i can see the passenger in their vehicle pointing at my car,

most people give me the right of way to just see the whole car, when I had my bmw no one would let me through anywhere thinking i was a rich young bast***, they probably think that I am a service mechanic and thus let me through....
Old 05-23-2003, 05:54 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

The garage I park at when I work is litterally next door to Fenway park here in Boston (for you none-sports fans its where the RedSox Play) and I happen to leave it daily within 20 mins-1 hr before gametime.. Now my drive path basically wraps around Fenway Park and down behind the green monster (left field wall) and the entire drive around the park the streets and crosswalks are FLOODED with people going to the game and sausage carts, while creeping 1-2 mph through the sea of people everybody is looking into the car thinking I am a player or just looking at the car, makes me feel like a movie star So many people give compliments and some even start conversations with me while I creep through the sea of fans (half of them drunk from pre-game boozing)..

Its fun but its a much better ride home when the Sox are playing away games...
Old 05-23-2003, 10:48 AM
MarkoBarko

You think boston is a *****?! Try manhattan, NYC!

The one thing that I have found is this:

I am cruising 95-100mph in the left lane. Not many cars on the road. Then there is a lone car in the left lane in front of me. It is almost as if I press a button and the car changes lanes out of my way. SO cool! I think they see me in their rear view hauling *** and just want to get out of the way. Works every time!!!

Just felt like sharing.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

IMO you have not experenced traffic until you have been in rush hour traffic on Sturrow drive in Boston.. Every day you can expect stop and go bumper to bumper traffic for 2-5 miles.. I have been to manhatten many times and yes there is traffic, but the odd thing is that it moves, Boston is a parking lot during rush hour peroid, there is no shortcuts, and no avoiding it.. Rush house here us from 6am-11AM and 3PM-7PM, the big dig supposed to reduce it to 1 hour rush hours that speed never dips below 40 mph, I will believe it when I see it.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:17 PM
jckolnturn

I wouldn't stick around to watch the Red Sox either! Yanks rule!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:46 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

But the Sox are in 1st
Old 05-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
I get a lot of "Wow. Do you just love that car?" when I'm stopped at a light or something, but when I'm actually driving, different people are usually giving me dirty looks and trying to cut me off. It's so strange the mixed signals I get from this car.
Yep, same thing. Thumbs up and smiles at lights, angry looks and cut you off on the road. It's like people are so unhappy with their own life that they are mad someone else is enjoying theirs.

On the way into work tonight I came around this Land Rover to get into the middle lane, he then jumps to the left lane coming up to a stoplight. He stays back in anticipation of it turning green so he can get back in front of me, very obvious. Light turns green and I hear his big V8 roaring to life. The road was wet, but he still never got past my front bumper even though I was spinning all through 1st. He then falls in behind me since I was pacing him. It wasn't like I had cut him off originally, so I felt the need to put him in his place
Old 05-27-2003, 10:49 PM
aggiez

Damndest thing,

I get more trucks revving their engines at me now than I ever even imagined. In addition to that, everyone takes off fast at stoplights now wanting, I guess, to race.

Like someone else said though, I get cut-off more now by things that are bigger than me...basically everything but Miatas. I do catch everyone staring at stoplights though, staring and pointing.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Ya staring and point everywhere.. Car gets so damn much attention, more attention then my uncle's 2000 Porsche 911. I also get sooo many compliments on the Daytona Blue color, maybe even more on the color then the car itself..

Also I find that my car somehow inspires others around me to drive crazy.. I see from moms and pops to young punk ricers driving anything from minivans to riced out civics start tailgating me and attempting passes and just driving like they got a burst of NASCAR fever.. Also whats funny is if I am cruising thru backroads and there are some young teen in the streets they tend to look at the car with a dropped jaw
Old 05-28-2003, 06:14 AM
KY350

In bumper to bumper traffic, I put my indicator on and allways get let into the adjacent lane. This is when people stare the most too. But its a different story at the front row of a set of traffic lights. Every sedan wants to race me and block me behind a parked car up ahead.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:14 AM
cwcole

Originally posted by Inova
"bigger is better (or so they think)" is the way to go.
Exactly, large SUVs like the Surburban get special treatment. My mom like that all other trucks let her in.