Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cricket noise from rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 02:04 PM
jl215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cricket noise from rear?

Has anyone else had problems with a cricket-type sound coming from somewhere in the rear of the car whenever they go over bumps/irregularities in the road? I'm getting a cricket noise all of the sudden from somewhere in the rear, and seems like it's coming from the inside of the car? It's more pronounced as I'm driving slow on local roads and diminishes in frequency and volume when I'm on highway at cruising speeds. Seems to make a sound at same moment I'm going over bumps. I've spent so much time just shaking things around and probing around back in the hatch area trying to locate the sound, but can't seem to find it. It's driving me crazy because basically every bump I hit, the noise occurs.

Can it be suspension? It sounds so clear in the car though that it doesn't seem to be coming from the outside.

Can anyone suggest what it could be?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:14 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting this with the stock suspension set up? I have the exact same symptoms. I get this occationally with my Teins (which is pretty common) but I've never heard of this with the stock suspension.
I've had a local shop check and verify everything was tight- I believe it's the strut mounts rubbing.
You may also want to check the spare tire and make sure it's tightened down. i know some people were getting similar (but metallic) sounds and tightening the spare tire down remedied the problem. Worth a shot.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:16 PM
jl215

Yeah, getting this with the stock suspension. Really annoying to get this type of sound after only 1500 miles. I'll look into the spare tire. How can I check to see if it's the strut mounts rubbing and how could I remedy that if I do confirm that it is?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:27 PM
hfm

I thought I posted this before. My cricket was located on the hatch, to the right near the top. The plastic thing near above the hatch lifters had a loose clip. It seems fixed but I ordered a new clip just in case.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:51 PM
jl215

Thanks for the suggestion - think I might have found it: the black paneling that runs along the whole inside of the hatch - there was a point that wasn't snapped in fully. Pushed it in and took a drive... don't get the cricket sound anymore unless i hit a big bump, and only very slightly then. Hopefully that solves it once and for all though. Finally, peace and quiet (other than the natural music of the car) while driving!

If anyone else has had any other places produce any squeaks/creaks/rattles do post though. Maybe I can preempt any future annoying sounds.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:56 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Dan,

I think I found what you're talking about- when you lift the hatch, are you talking about the plastic lining at the very top (in the corner closest to the passanger seat)? It did seem a bit loose- I jammed a small piece of paper in there to see if it corrects the noise- I hope this is it.
If you were talking about something else please explain.

Thanks

-Jason
Old 05-22-2003, 03:00 PM
hfm

Yes. That's it. It's black, protruding out, close to the glass, on the passenger side, part of the hatch. The autotech at Nissan slammed it in for me harder than I would have and the noise is gone. That was the cricket.

I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to get rid of that fu*king sound.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:15 PM
jl215

The black plastic cover part that was loose on my hatch was on the passengers side, but in the corner closest to the end of the hatch (closest to the rear spoiler end).

Hope this kills your crickets!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:15 PM
failsafe
....for your health

If this works I'm buying you lunch at that Korean joint next time I come down. You may have saved me from my trip to the padded room.