Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

1st Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:51 PM
SD350ZEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Ticket

Even with the Valentine 1. I shoulda known they were back there. I went under a couple of underpasses and it lit up for K band. So I slowed down. Anyways, about 10 miles later, I was making my normal 8West to 805North interchange which is a beautiful Righthand uphill sweeper turn. So I hit about 85 and merged on up. Next thing I know, Lights!! Crap. Guess the cop ditched the radar and went on the freeway prowl. So he pulls me over. Says "I pulled you over for speeding" DURR. Takes my license, reg, and insurance without a word, and writes me a ticket.

Then he lays this jewel on me "I know this car is quite capable of that speed, but the other drivers around you don't know what's going on." Thanks....?

God I hate the CHP. All they're good for is making money for the state. Go fight crime or something and let the drivers drive!
Old 05-27-2003, 05:20 AM
mikeyngo

Well, you was caught for speeding. You did break the law didn't you? You did cause unsafe driving condition for yourself and for the other drivers didn't you?

I know you pretty bum out that you receive a ticket, but hey its your own fault. You broke the rules and your paying for it.

Sorry I had to say this, but people should realize cops are here for a reason.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:35 AM
Jspec350z

Cops are here for a reason!! So are lawyers!!!!!!!!!! Take it to court. It is always worth the fight
Old 05-27-2003, 05:45 AM
Grey Matter

If you have to pay the ticket, and are allowed to go to traffic school, consider signing up for Online Traffic School if it is accepted in SD. I got my first ticket in over 10 years (I wasn't even in my Z) and used this company: http://www.onlinetraffic.com. It was easy and fast, and you can do it from your home whenever you have time.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:46 AM
SD350ZEE

No, I was not in endangering anybody on the road. I had total and full control of my vehicle at all times and was nowhere NEAR the limits of adheasion to the road.

CHP is made to garner money for this state.

Just another form of control I guess. It's kind of amazing how little we can do these days without borders and boundries. Everything is limited, regulated, and controlled by fear of punishment. Blah that's a whole nother argument entirely.

And Hey Mikey, you drive the speed limit around everywhere you go?
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 AM
N74DV

If you were cited for violation of 22350 you have a VERY good chance at having the ticket dismissed.

22350 states that a driver shall not drive beyond a speed that is reasonable and prudent with due regard to other persons or property under the existing road conditions. It says nothing of exceeding a posted limit sign.

The burden of proof is upon the state of CA to prove you were not driving reasonable and prudent....

Do the research on "California Basic Speed Law" you'll find TONS of info online on how to beat a 22350 citation. It's quite easy if you prepare before the court date.

In AZ we have the same law but it's called 28-701a. I was cited for it last week. I plan to fight it and win.

Fight it... it;s easier than you think.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Z_Pride

My theory is the state/city isn't making the payments on the car, so how can they tell you how to drive it? Besides 85mph isn't that fast, I normally drive 70 and see minivans and trucks pulling on me. I guess cops are naturally drawn to sports cars
Old 05-27-2003, 11:04 AM
ezchief

Little fact. The CHP was the Original AAA (Auto Club) in California. Realized there was more money in tickets then towing I guess. I giggle every time I see them in their Smokey Bear hats with all that attitude and Dunkin' Donuts glaze on the corner of their mouths.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:02 PM
6kLaunch

Originally posted by ezchief
Little fact. The CHP was the Original AAA (Auto Club) in California. Realized there was more money in tickets then towing I guess. I giggle every time I see them in their Smokey Bear hats with all that attitude and Dunkin' Donuts glaze on the corner of their mouths.
Not true. here is the correct history:

"The California Highway Patrol was officially established as a State agency in 1929. Prior to that date, there were traffic officers working in many different areas; but, they worked for the counties in which they served. This led to some problems in that laws were enforced in different ways depending on where you were. Putting all the officers under one organization with clear rules and policies went a long way to improving the quality of service which the public received.

When the powers that were, considered what to call this new agency, they hit upon the name "California Highway Patrol." This simple name said it all. We were in California, we patrolled the highways. This seemed like the perfect name for a new organization. There was just one problem, the name "Highway Patrol" was already being used.

The American Automobile Association has been around for a long time. Their purpose is to help their members and their vehicles. They now use the services of contracted tow companies throughout the United States. But, back when the CHP was forming, they had trucks of their own patrolling the roads for disabled members. These trucks were emblazoned with the phrase "Highway Patrol."

Not wishing to preempt someone's name or to get involved in a lawsuit, officials of the CHP contacted AAA. They explained their desire to call this new law enforcement entity the California Highway Patrol. Both sides discussed the matter; and, it was decided that the CHP would get to use the name.

The adoption of the name "Highway Patrol" led to a few good-natured jokes among other law enforcement agencies. Quite often, other officers or deputies would call CHP officers the "AAA with a badge" or the equally popular "Auto Club with a gun." The ability to overcome adversity is one of the hallmarks of a CHP Officer. These kinds of jibes from other law enforcement groups are taken in stride by the CHP.

While other groups or organizations in California may use similar phrases or words, you can be sure there is only one, real "Highway Patrol", and that is the California Highway Patrol."

I think your version was a little out of context.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:31 PM
N74DV

neat little factoid there......
Old 05-27-2003, 04:13 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my first in the Z two days ago... thankfully in MO you can get just about any ticket fixed... so when my lawyer gets done I should have another illegal muffler charge....
Old 05-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Rob Nance

You all who think getting a ticket for speeding is silly need to accept some responsibility. I do speed, and when I get a ticket for it, it sucks, but it is ultimately my fault. You can't blame other people for your breaking the law. Breaking the law, like it or not, is breaking the law. There is no grey area. Stop trying to pawn off your own mistakes on other people and accept some responsibility.

The common defense is "I can handle my car" etc, but I bet if you polled drivers at random nearly 100% would say they can handle their car also. The fact is, I did say fact, the higher your rate of speed the more distance you travel before your brain receives the signal to take action, and the longer it takes you to stop both in distance and time. Look at 70-0 and 60-0 braking tests. The distance is almost double from 70-0 than it is from 60-0.

It has nothing to do with your skill, and everything to do with other people who might change lanes into you and you not having time to react. The cop actually had a very good point. He was saying "you may know how to drive this car fast, but these other people don't know how to handle you driving fast". It makes perfect sense.

I am not trying to be harsh, like I said, I speed, my car is sideways around turns more often than not, but if I get a ticket I accept my responsibility to pay for breaking the law and move on. I had the same views that a lot of people have portrayed here, when I was younger, and I feel foolish for it now. The fact is, I have not had a ticket since 1995 because when I do break the law, I try and do it when nobody is around, and as infrequently as possible.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Inova

great points Rob Nance,

I got my first speeding ticket in my Z a while back. I was only angry because I am only 18 and I am still afraid of my parents reactions because they have the right to take my car away from me. I speed all the time still... sorry, I just can't get used to the speed limit. I've slowed it down a lot from what I used to do and might takes some steps to slow it down a little more. You are right though, there is little you can do afterwards except to try to get it dismissed and maybe learn from it. It is a pain in the *** to get tickets with all the hassle that comes to it, but hey, it already happened so just look forward to what you can do about it.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:01 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Rob Nance
You all who think getting a ticket for speeding is silly need to accept some responsibility. I do speed, and when I get a ticket for it, it sucks, but it is ultimately my fault. You can't blame other people for your breaking the law. Breaking the law, like it or not, is breaking the law. There is no grey area. Stop trying to pawn off your own mistakes on other people and accept some responsibility.

The common defense is "I can handle my car" etc, but I bet if you polled drivers at random nearly 100% would say they can handle their car also. The fact is, I did say fact, the higher your rate of speed the more distance you travel before your brain receives the signal to take action, and the longer it takes you to stop both in distance and time. Look at 70-0 and 60-0 braking tests. The distance is almost double from 70-0 than it is from 60-0.

It has nothing to do with your skill, and everything to do with other people who might change lanes into you and you not having time to react. The cop actually had a very good point. He was saying "you may know how to drive this car fast, but these other people don't know how to handle you driving fast". It makes perfect sense.

I am not trying to be harsh, like I said, I speed, my car is sideways around turns more often than not, but if I get a ticket I accept my responsibility to pay for breaking the law and move on. I had the same views that a lot of people have portrayed here, when I was younger, and I feel foolish for it now. The fact is, I have not had a ticket since 1995 because when I do break the law, I try and do it when nobody is around, and as infrequently as possible.
I don't know why my post didn't come up but I said a lot and now I feel robbed... lol

(it was basically in agreement)