Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

pulled over for tint??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Nerek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are all lucky...
i got a fix it ticket today...i have to show up at court at the end of the month with it all off and i HAVE a doctors note...RI sucks hardcore...the cops/judge said i should have been wearing sunglasses...i hate laws...
but the legal limit here is like 70%all around,so dont complain...
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
PFI350Z

here in jersey u juss pay da ticket 54 dollars and u keep it or take it off ur choice... and if u keep it then u keep gettin tickets... i guess there makin money off of it
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Accordaleer

The law SHOULD be, when a cop approaches your car, you should have the windows rolled down or you look suspicious. At night their spotlight illuminates EVERYTHING inside your car anyway. I had 5 tickets on my last car going through the same town. It was a honda lol. After like 4 or 5 months with this car i finally got pulled last week, also dont have a front plate. I have 20% all around. He let me go because i worked for the hospital.

In the town i got pulled over in, a court appearance was required, so i went, but when the judge asked if i had removed the tint i made an excuse everytime, and was told to return within a week. I took a chance and never returned. Nothing every happened, and never got a warrant. Other 2 towns I just paid at the desk. Its illegal to operate the vehicle with the tint on, but not to have it on. I dont have to remove ****, " its my show car" lol.

As for the tint, cost me 50 for the 2 fronts. I didnt get the 3m though.

^^^^^^ not true, i live in jersey.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
saechow350z

In texas you can go as dark as you want...
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Fairly Z

I work in a car audio store; have ever since I was born. We've always sold window tint, UNTIL TODAY. An undercover police officer has been going around the area trying to buy tint from all of the shops that do it. They don't know he's a cop, but if they agree to sell it, they're ARRESTED ON THE SPOT! I couldn't believe it. So, luckily word got around to my window tinter. This morning, sure enough, the car that's been rumored to be used for this undercover police operation ( a green Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer... Forgot which one it was ) showed up at my store for window tint. My tinter looked at the car and refused to do it because of what he'd heard. We are so damned lucky that he heard about it, or else my manager would be in jail. This is a NEW development, they've never done this before. We've calculated that we're going to lose at least $23,000 we'd normally do annually in window tint because of this. One of the tinters that I know has already been arrested. It's an unbelievable turnout... I couldn't believe it. We no longer vend window tint, except for rear windows - but who wants to do just the rears? This SUCKS.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saechow350z
In texas you can go as dark as you want...

might want to relook that. your statement is wrong

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_tx.html

Before 1988 Model Year:
AS-1 / 35% Film / 20% Film / 20% Film / 1988

1988 Model Year and after :
AS-1 / 35% Film / 35% Film / 20% Film / 1988

Enforcement Note : Illegal window tint can be the reason for failing state safety inspection. State DPS carry light meters especially around the Mexican Border.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
drewk

Where I live, Waukegan, IL. You can get ur front windows done, in some places, but they will always tell u "u know its illegal to tint the front windows right?" If u still want to do it they will do it. I could have done my windshield as well but thats too much. I have my fronts done, I just roll down my windows when I see the cops and I dont drive the Z in the winter time. But the other day a cop pulled up next to me, and I had my windows up. Didnt know what to do.... leave windows up and act normal. Roll windows down and risk cop seeing me, I look like a gang banger, but Im not. Lucky for me he didnt really do anything, but I was shitting bricks the whole time.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
The law SHOULD be, when a cop approaches your car, you should have the windows rolled down or you look suspicious. At night their spotlight illuminates EVERYTHING inside your car anyway. I had 5 tickets on my last car going through the same town. It was a honda lol. After like 4 or 5 months with this car i finally got pulled last week, also dont have a front plate. I have 20% all around. He let me go because i worked for the hospital.

In the town i got pulled over in, a court appearance was required, so i went, but when the judge asked if i had removed the tint i made an excuse everytime, and was told to return within a week. I took a chance and never returned. Nothing every happened, and never got a warrant. Other 2 towns I just paid at the desk. Its illegal to operate the vehicle with the tint on, but not to have it on. I dont have to remove ****, " its my show car" lol.

As for the tint, cost me 50 for the 2 fronts. I didnt get the 3m though.

^^^^^^ not true, i live in jersey.
Try shining a spotlight on to 5%. It just looks like the window is painted black. You really cant see inside (i love it ).
Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Rob10_99

I was recently at the local "shtreet rahcer" hangout as the cops call it,

no **** there were 10 cruisers around this block, but I wasn't doing anything wrong and pulled into a spot( next to where its "ok" to park ).
So 3 cops come basically sprinting up to my car, flashlights blaring into my 5% tint.
They couldnt see **** haha suka~~

wheres this kid forum at again?
I want to look cool in front of all the civics!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Accordaleer

Nah see, a cop shouldnt be flashing his light into your window waiting for you to roll it down. I wont get into the whole hating cops topic, but i hate them. You see flashing lights pulling you over, roll down both windows, how hard is it.

We got pulled over 3 times tonight on the way to and back from rutgers. Cop pulled us over in my friends SRT4 for his tint. Then called him stupid for giving the cop his military id. Said "oh now i have your SS, real smart, am i suppose to be impressed by this". Friend was like no i just show it out of respect or whatever he said, and was like I served in iraq for 2 years and 2 years somewhere else. He admitted to the window tint obviously but the guy was a real jerkoff. I got let off the other day because i work in a hospital lol.... cmon now.

Oh then he tried telling us that he had his taillights tinted. Friend argued they dodge makes them, theyre the led tails for his car, they look great. After 15 mins, he let him go with a warning, told him hes the only guy he let go tonight. Friend was like i think you just pulled me over because im driving a racecar, and the cop was like i dont think a neon is a racecar. I was sooooo close to being like, you wanna see what this car can do running on a low 10psi of boost? Lol, BLOWS me away at 10psi.

Off topic, but some 240 showed up last night and we went for a run. Friend got BLOWN away by this car. If i had raced, the 240 would have beat me by literally 10 car lengths lol.

Last edited by Accordaleer; 11-04-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:14 AM
sbZenth

Originally Posted by whoaishjustin
juss get some water an smudge a little bit on the ticket where it syas car model etc..an bring in another car..a beater or one of ur friend family car with no tints an say thats the car..my friend did it an he passed
hahah thats like the worst possible thing you can do.
its funny though he passed. nice
Old 11-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I have 5% tint all around on my TL and have never been harrases from it. I have been pulled over many times too with the tint. But never any tickets for the tint.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by Fairly Z
I work in a car audio store; have ever since I was born. We've always sold window tint, UNTIL TODAY. An undercover police officer has been going around the area trying to buy tint from all of the shops that do it. They don't know he's a cop, but if they agree to sell it, they're ARRESTED ON THE SPOT! I couldn't believe it. So, luckily word got around to my window tinter. This morning, sure enough, the car that's been rumored to be used for this undercover police operation ( a green Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer... Forgot which one it was ) showed up at my store for window tint. My tinter looked at the car and refused to do it because of what he'd heard. We are so damned lucky that he heard about it, or else my manager would be in jail. This is a NEW development, they've never done this before. We've calculated that we're going to lose at least $23,000 we'd normally do annually in window tint because of this. One of the tinters that I know has already been arrested. It's an unbelievable turnout... I couldn't believe it. We no longer vend window tint, except for rear windows - but who wants to do just the rears? This SUCKS.
I don't get your post at all. Why get arrested for selling tint? Is tint illegal in NY? Are you talking about a certain % tin that the officer was trying to get is isn't legal?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
rkd350z

that sucks.. I never got pulled over for tint.. or anything with my z...
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Fairly Z

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
I don't get your post at all. Why get arrested for selling tint? Is tint illegal in NY? Are you talking about a certain % tin that the officer was trying to get is isn't legal?
Window tinting in New York is limited (legally) to 70% visibility for the front windows, 35% visibility for the rear windows. Until now, the law wasn't as enforced. So, yes, the retailer can be penalized for selling illegal tint. We're currently working with a lawyer to determine whether or not we can continue to vend illegal tint if it's for 'show purposes'.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:56 AM
flintgauge

if you Texas guys really want to know the details on window tint I'll get my book I use for writing tickets out and look it up...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Z Bear

I feel your pain..I was on the I in south florida doing 64 when I noticed an undercover cop stopped on the side of the road ticketing someone...I thought to myself.."bummer" and kept driving...I happen to pass someone in the HOV lane and when I looked in my rear view mirror I could see lights..This cop was wayyyy back there but I thought nothing of it....Well, when he finally caught up to me he rolled up on my azz and turned on his lights so I pulled over...He was the usual di*khead..First thing I said was.." I was going 64" he said what lane were you passing in?...I thought about it & said HOV. (the dumbazz that I am..)While handing over my drivers license, he said..roll your window up half way....He then proceeded to give me a ticket for dark tint..I bought the car that way & when I told him that, he said it was my responsibility..I said back..how am I going to know that it's legal when I bought the car like that?...."what ask the honest salesman if so?" yeah right...lucky if I get a good deal...by this time I got cocky...when he handed me the tickets I said..."are you going to give me a ticket for dual exaust?...and his reply was..." not today".... long story short. The dealer paid the 100.00 fine, and I just paid the HOV ticket. The court system is so jammed up in south fla that they don't have time to look at any car or check to see if you made good. They are way too busy translating into english...and ahhh yeah, 300.00 for tint? sorry but you got taken....
Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
sheri07z

Default have it signed off.

boy do i feel sorry for you. be smart. if you know an officer/cop ask him to sign it off for you. my nieghbor is a cop...thank god, and he's always signing fix-it-tickets for my friends and i. there still is a small charge when you go clear it, its like 10 bucks. beats paying $300. then again, i live in california, so i dont know if that applies to you.