Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do you do a Knight Rider 180 turn?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 04:27 PM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you do a Knight Rider 180 turn?

Like they do in all the movies... Going in reverse, turning, then you are facing forward?
Old 05-28-2003, 04:45 PM
wld350z

1st you have to have a firebird
Old 05-28-2003, 04:46 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id guess that youd need some speed in reverse, hit the parking break which should induce a pretty slide, let it off and go when youve come around.

dont expect it to work QUITE as nice as it does in the movies. might also get off your line and go heading for a curb.

been watchin F&F preview with him doin the highway thing onto the offramp?
Old 05-28-2003, 04:53 PM
Moroccan_Mole

you don't need the parking brake.

ive seen friends do it, and it's pretty difficult.

get a good speed in reverse, toss the wheel + clutch in, counter steer as you come around (so that youre wheels will be straighted when you come back to center), clutch in, shift into gear, rev match, clutch out and go.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:00 PM
abugslife

I have seen a guy did it with a 98 Camry. From then I stopped making fun of my roomie's camry.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Phrizzer

This is not a lie even though it is going to seem like one, no one ever believes me but luckily there were witnesses.
About 10 years ago (when I was in high school) I was driving a 1986 Buick Skylark. Even though it was kind of a piece of crap, it was the best car I ever owned (before I bought the Z) there was nothing I couldn't do with that car. I can't even count the times I got all 4 wheels off the ground.

Anyway, one day I backed out of my driveway and a friend got behind me, technically it was in front of me since I was going backwards. I punched it in reverse and began hauling *** down my street, floored in reverse for 2 blocks then I hit the brake pedal and yanked the wheel right and threw it in drive, I did a 180 and then turned it into a 270 by turning directly onto the side street and continuing out of my neighborhood.

I looked back and the guy in the other car had stopped and everyone in it just had their mouth gaping in a smile.

The guys in the car with me were freaking out, some were just in disbelief, one thought we had just died, but I managed to keep a straight face throughout it like that's how I leave my house every day.

It was probably the coolest 2 seconds of my life

So basically to answer your question you first have to have complete and utter disregard for yourself, car and everything around you, then haul ***** in reverse, slam the brake and yank the wheel, it also couldn't hurt to pray.

Lemme know how it works out for you if you're driving a Z now
Old 05-28-2003, 05:08 PM
afr0puff

Originally posted by abugslife
I have seen a guy did it with a 98 Camry. From then I stopped making fun of my roomie's camry.
My friend's brother did it in a Hyundai... sort of. He came as close as you can in a FWD car.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Ebo

Phrizzer's concept is a bit more accurate u have to hit the brake..
not the parking brake.. after u snap the steering ... It makes the
rear stop and the front skid better or get that extra chirp so u
can swing the front faster...

I did that a punch of times in small pick-up...

Tip: get an open space for the first few times until u get the hang of it...
Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you do need to pull the hand brakes. The Z has ABS so it won't let you do a good spin cause the wheels don't lock up. If you just jam on the break you might get a 90 or 100 degree turn.

Just go in reverse FAST, pull the hand brakes and crank the wheel to one direction. About 90 degree of the turn let go of the hand brakes, clutch in and shift to first. when you're 180 degree around, rev and peel out from the cops

check out worst case scenerio's book, they show you how to do it. I think they did it on their show too.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:57 AM
ScottC

Default Re: How do you do a Knight Rider 180 turn?

Originally posted by afr0puff
Like they do in all the movies... Going in reverse, turning, then you are facing forward?
After you watch Bruce Almighty are you going to want godlike powers?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:15 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't they call that a "bootleggers turn" or something like that? I think that may be when you are going forward and want to do a 180 degree turn though. You pull up on the hand brake and turn the wheel 90 degrees right or left.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:58 AM
Moroccan_Mole

it's called a j-turn.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:45 AM
koba8

Actually, you don't need the brake at all. As I learned at the Bondurant School of Driving in Arizona, you reverse going in a straight line (always looking at the front of the car) until ~30, you don't need that much speed. Then, let off the gas abruptly, don't ease off, I mean yank your foot off the gas pedal. Wait a fraction of a second and then turn the steering wheel to whatever side you want to turn out to (usually this is based on where you have room, i.e. if you were on a two lan road and to your right was the barrier an to your left was an open lane, you would turn the wheel to the left). Once you hit 90 degrees or more (but no less than 90 degress) slide the AT lever to drive, or if MT clutch in, slide to first, gas, clutch out, and then for both accelerate and countersteer.

Reverse 180s are unbelievably easy to do, and when you get them right are so neat. You can feel the momentum like liquid flowing through the car if you do it correctly. Also, while it is easier to do in a RWD, you can do it pretty easily as well in a FWD, it's just not as clean. (I've tried)

One thing that's also fun is if you have a FWD, then go get two trays from McDonald's, you know, the big brown ones that you get when you stay. Reverse onto them with the trays facing up, so that your rear wheels are inside the lip of the trays. Now you have your very own skid car, so you can practice sliding the *** end around and counter steering, or just do sliding circles or whatever. Obviously only do this in a parking lot or some other secluded area.

Have fun.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:26 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
it's called a j-turn.
That's right. And it can be done in any car by anyone, if properly trained. Law enforcement learns this as one of the most basic driving techniques.

I've even seen it done in a stretch limo.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 AM
jckolnturn

I saw an instructional tape about this 'act.' It is the 'j' turn and there are no brakes involved. Exactly how koba8 described it. the recommended speed was 30 mph and you really gotta "throw" the wheel (that's what they called it in the video) The guy was putting both hands at the bottom of the wheel and making a motion that looked like he was trying to throw the wheel out the window. I've tried it in other cars but never my z. ABS shouldn't effect it but vdc definately should, i hope.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:37 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by Phrizzer
This is not a lie even though it is going to seem like one.....I punched it in reverse and began hauling *** down my street, floored in reverse for 2 blocks
.........really............
Old 05-29-2003, 02:42 PM
abugslife

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by abugslife
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My friend's brother did it in a Hyundai... sort of. He came as close as you can in a FWD car.

I saw one did on a motocycle......................
JK
Old 05-29-2003, 04:26 PM
G*Rated{350z}

Are you gonna try this in your z?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:45 PM
iris

you guys teach me bad things. i might try it in the beater prelude? hubby will have a cow.

koba's way makes sense to me (esplly b/c i have AT)
Old 05-29-2003, 04:52 PM
afr0puff

Good god... I don't think I've gone faster than 10mph in reverse in my life. Now I'll be doing 30. I've got a really big empty parking lot near me. If I ever get the ***** to do it, I'll be sure to video tape it for everyone... and also edit out the previous 50 attempts.

Quick Reply: How do you do a Knight Rider 180 turn?