Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving to england. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Black Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Don't forget Pizza hut as well. There are also plenty of resturants owned by Italians that produce great pizza.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
SS350Z

Originally Posted by Black Duck
I wouldnt sell it over there because left hand drive cars are not really what people want and tend to go for a lot less.

Then take a side trip to Germany, France or anywhere else in Europe, cruise the autobahn and the countryside, and then sell it.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
zzz350

British food is good if you don't like any flavor or seasoning. However, if you like tasty food, you are fuct.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Terror

ive been there before for about 3 weeks. I stayed in cambridge and took a train to london, it was an awesome experience. Ive also stayed at mildenhall before and been to Bury or whatever that town is called.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by zzz350
British food is good if you don't like any flavor or seasoning. However, if you like tasty food, you are fuct.
You think American food is that much better, based on what? Mcdonalds, Denny's and Domino's.

The fact is it is no better or worst than American food.

Ask Gordon Ramsey (British) his show which has now been adopted in America seems to put a few American resturants into shape.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:14 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cold kidney pies are delicious.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Black Duck

It's what you grow up with I guess.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:23 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Terror
yeah i will be buying gas on base. I will be stationed at mildenhall. about 1 hour outside of london so i wont be living in london. The military pays extra money to members overseas called COLA its money to adjust to higher prices over there.

I think it would be awesome to have the Z over there cuz i can imagine there isnt many. The only thing im worried about is them jacking up my brand new painted headlights. I really dont want tape over my headlights, id rather get rid of the car if they are mess it all up.

Also i heard alot of sports car that are available in america or worth alot more money in Uk because they dont have access to those cars.
I lived in Mildenhall. City roads are narrow, but no more narrow that old cities in the US (Baltimore for example). Country driving is beautiful.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 AM
BrittB

What does it cost to ship your car over there?
Old 12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrittB
it's free for him
Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by BrittB
I assume that Terror is in the military. For 90 percent of military members shipping is free.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Black Duck

^^ DOD employees as well if you get a job abroad.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
zdatsun

Can't advise you on taking the Z or leaving it stateside BBBUUUTTT if you're leaving Omaha and going to Europe then travel your AZZZ off and enjoy the culture and women (if you're not hitched). Spent 10 years at Offutt and four years in Europe. Left my trans am at home and got a used dependable ride. Was having way too much fun to worry about the looks of my ride. Later
Old 12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Hoods

Originally Posted by Black Duck
You think American food is that much better, based on what? Mcdonalds, Denny's and Domino's.
Why, is that all you eat down here?

We do have restaurants...
Old 12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Terror

yeah its free for me to bring a car over. I was doing some reading and i would require a red fog light in the back,new headlights because my headlights are aimed for american driving,id have to pass some emissions test which isnt a big deal. and possible turn signals on the side of the car that are drilled into the fender. Not to mention i would be driving a left hand car on left hand of the road and passing would be hard.

All in all i may just sell the Z. sell the headlights, and my wheels and tires. Go over there and buy a BMW since they are a dime a dozen. I kinda want a car with a backseat over there since alot of family may visit me. And the car is already setup for UK.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Terror

Originally Posted by zdatsun
Can't advise you on taking the Z or leaving it stateside BBBUUUTTT if you're leaving Omaha and going to Europe then travel your AZZZ off and enjoy the culture and women (if you're not hitched). Spent 10 years at Offutt and four years in Europe. Left my trans am at home and got a used dependable ride. Was having way too much fun to worry about the looks of my ride. Later

this is true, i will be putting some miles on whatever car i get over there, so i just need it to be dependable. Not to mention its always raining over there so good luck keeping your car clean.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terror
So i am moving to england in 8 months. I am being sent the via my job United states air force. Rumor is if i were to bring my Z. They will install turn signal lights on the side and mess with my headlights and taillights. One guy who just came from england said they adjust your headlight aim. He said that since we drive right side of the road that the headlights are semi pointed towards the right to not blind oncoming traffic. That didnt really make sense to me but he said that they aim them semi to the left since you drive on the left. and so you wont blind oncoming traffic on the right. I dont know if that sounds right to me. He also said if your headlights cant be aimed that they put some kind of tape sheild over part of your headlights to not blind oncoming.

Question is what will they do to my car?

I just bought 06 headlights and got them blacked out with painted eyebrows. and i really dropped some cash on them. Will they jack my headlights all up?

Will they install side turn signals?

Will they mess with my taillights or rear turn signals?
If it was anywhere else in Europe, I'd say go. But in England? Forget it. You will no be able to drive fast and safely. Overtaking on back road will be like playing Russian roulette.

Plus, the will need to adjust your headlights. Usually with a sticker to block light on the RH side so as not to blind incoming traffic (people do care about that in Europe).

You should leave the Z here and get a nice little fun car over there. Rent a BMW from time to time
Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Terror

i just cant see the point in leaving keeping the car here. Either its gonna be with me or im gonna sell it. I will be over there a minimum of 4 years so i really dont wanna just have some car over here that i am making payments on and insurance yet im not driving it. Not to mention it probably isnt good for a car to sit year after year. Ill just get rid of it. It makes me sad especially since i just got these headlights done and ready to put on. Owell i know someone will want 06 headlights already painted! Ive been looking at BMWs over there and i found some M class BMW's for 12,000 pounds which is about $24,000 or there is a bunch of cheap 3 series too.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
SS350Z

Sounds Like you made your decision. Sell it. Get a VW golf or similar small car, maybe a diesel, and have fun. Then get a new Z when you get back.

By the way, they have plenty of good food in England.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:37 PM
kognition

The only good food in England is A: Indian Cuisine, B: English Breakfast C: Pizza Hut
Good luck driving your LHD in RHDville. You can pick up a good used R32 for about ten or twelve grand. I am in Leicester about 4 times out of the year. Have
fun, and let us know where you are staying.

Quick Reply: Moving to england. What to do?