Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moving to england. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:25 AM
chunky_baby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm English, living over here now - and yes, some food is **** and some food is good - it's all about where you go really.

Just like here...

don't believe the stereotypes, English food in general has really changed. It's like saying that all Americans have a 3 sec attn span and English all have bad teeth (although I do LOL).

Anyhoo - I would not take it. Not for the gas prices as it seems like you have that sewn up. It's more the attitude of the police with regards anything nice and sporty - and speed in general.

It is such a nanny state now, I was there only last week and I couldn't believe the amount of congestion, speed cameras, road side filth (that's traffic police) and warning signs.

Trust me - you'd hate it, especially driving a manual.

If you can get to Germany - great, but it's a long way. Really not worth the hassle of a long weekend, mainly as you have to drive through France first - and if you think English driving is bad, you haven't seen anything till you go to France.

I went on vacation and drove at the time, my imported Celica. People parked by basically reversing into your bumpers on each side - came back scratched to buggery.

I hope you have a lovely time - for all the crap, I still enjoyed my trip back to the home country, mainly for family and friends - and then Fish and Chips and Curry
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Black Duck

don't believe the stereotypes, English food in general has really changed. It's like saying that all Americans have a 3 sec attn span and English all have bad teeth (although I do LOL).
^^ So true.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 AM
MyFairladyZ2006

Seriously guys the food in the UK is really not bad at all, its just a myth that all food is bland. They have all the American junk food you want there too.

I dont know whether it's the same for you, but I was told you're not allowed to sell your car for 2 years once you import it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Terror

honestly i couldnt give a crap if there is bad food. Lakenheath has a commissary "grocery store" I already make my own food most of the time anyway. Food isnt a big deal, you guys must be fat haha cuz that you guys have been talking about. Im not gonna be bummed out about someplace because of the food cuz thats not why i am going over. I have spent time over there and the food didnt seem too bad to me.

Should i have a cell phone over there or no? My contract with cingular is up and im wondering if i should sign another contract with a cell phone company or just wait till i get over there.

Last edited by Terror; 12-04-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 AM
chunky_baby

Originally Posted by Terror
honestly i couldnt give a crap if there is bad food. Lakenheath has a commissary "grocery store" I already make my own food most of the time anyway. Food isnt a big deal, you guys must be fat haha cuz that you guys have been talking about. Im not gonna be bumped out about someplace because of the food cuz thats not why i am going over. I have spent time over there and the food didnt seem too bad to me.

Should i have a cell phone over there or no? My contract with cingular is up and im wondering if i should sign another contract with a cell phone company or just wait till i get over there.
i'd wait. It'll be more expensive to text and call on some plans as it'll count as roaming.

Orange are a pretty good provider over there, that's what I had for years before I left - I'd look them up.

Get a prepaid unless you are there for more than a year.

As for fat - yes, all paid for and proud of it I fricking love my food...
Old 12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Terror

ill be over there for at least 3 years
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
chunky_baby

ill be over there for at least 3 years
Then I'd try and get a contract then, be easier.

As for the car - 3 yrs without it would suck, but seriously I would hate to drive my Z at home.

it'd be all crawling about in 1-2-3 doing about 30.

Maybe you could get permission to launch it down the runway though - that'd be cool
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Jenn350Z

Keep the Z here (if you're not coming back then sell it) and go buy a beater Skyline over there
Old 12-04-2007, 12:15 PM
03BrickyardZ

So i am moving to england in 8 months. I am being sent the via my job United states air force. Rumor is if i were to bring my Z. They will install turn signal lights on the side and mess with my headlights and taillights. One guy who just came from england said they adjust your headlight aim. He said that since we drive right side of the road that the headlights are semi pointed towards the right to not blind oncoming traffic. That didnt really make sense to me but he said that they aim them semi to the left since you drive on the left. and so you wont blind oncoming traffic on the right. I dont know if that sounds right to me. He also said if your headlights cant be aimed that they put some kind of tape sheild over part of your headlights to not blind oncoming.

Question is what will they do to my car?

I just bought 06 headlights and got them blacked out with painted eyebrows. and i really dropped some cash on them. Will they jack my headlights all up?

Will they install side turn signals?

Will they mess with my taillights or rear turn signals?
Sell it and get an R34 GT-R when you get there.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
MyFairladyZ2006

No no noooo!
Keep it!

You will definitely regret selling the Z!
I'm really glad I changed my mind and didnt trade it for a G35.

Z <3 for life
Old 12-04-2007, 05:08 PM
kognition

I wouldn't call it bland, just really fattening. I gain at least 10lbs when i go out there. And i have a home to stay in when i am there, not hotel. It's still a fattening diet out there.

Originally Posted by MyFairladyZ2006
Seriously guys the food in the UK is really not bad at all, its just a myth that all food is bland. They have all the American junk food you want there too.

I dont know whether it's the same for you, but I was told you're not allowed to sell your car for 2 years once you import it.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:32 AM
Black Duck

^^ How can you say that? We live in the fastest nation on earth!

The reality is, it is all about the choices you make. Sure there is fattening food in most countrys (including all the junk food). But that doesn't mean you have to eat it.

There are plenty of healthy options.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Duck
We live in the fastest nation on earth!
I think you meant "fattest". We are the fastest nation when it comes to running to a buffet table
Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by usmanasif
I think you meant "fattest". We are the fastest nation when it comes to running to a buffet table
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Adrians350Z

Sell the Z and buy a TVR. I doubt you will be disappointed
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
kognition

Have you lived in the UK? It's not about choices moreso than it is about traditional foods. And they are everywhere out there. Now if you want to go off and find a nice Trader Joes style salad for yourself, the closest thing to that will come from an Indian Restaurant there. Just don't expect your English counterparts to follow your lead.

Originally Posted by Black Duck
^^ How can you say that? We live in the fastest nation on earth!

The reality is, it is all about the choices you make. Sure there is fattening food in most countrys (including all the junk food). But that doesn't mean you have to eat it.

There are plenty of healthy options.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Terror

like i said im not the one talking about food. This was about bringing my car over there.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like i said im not the one talking about food. This was about bringing my car over there.

Sell the Z, buy something you can't get here, like a TVR manufacured auto like this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Sagaris
Old 12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
kognition

Yes, well you need to get yourself a used Skyline R32 when you move there.
Your gonna need all the AWD you can get out there my friend. It isn't exactly dry there. Then go eat an English breakfast

Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Adrians350Z

seriously sell your z, buy a 5.0 litre TVR cerbera or chimaera and you will forget the letter Z even featured so much in the alphabet. Unless of course you don't have the ***** to drive one in which case go get a ford festiva and quit bitching.

There are some amazing cars in the uk that I would kill to get my hands on in Australia. Branch out a bit and learn a new car for f*cks sake.

the Z is a fantastic car but get out there and see what else is around before your ***** are schackled and you have to buy a 200hp SUV with 7 seats cos you don't understand how condoms work

Quick Reply: Moving to england. What to do?