Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

the ZEDTowing a jet ski

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
z-u-later

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hilarious to read some of the ignorant posts in this thread about owners being critical of the Z being used as a tow car. These are probably the same clowns who bought a Z but have never driven their car on a track. You're basically in the same pool of owners who bought a 4v4 SUV and have never taken theirs off-road. You're basically a "poser!"

Go to a local autocross or road course and you will find sports cars towing tire trailers. Yes, these are hard-core track junkies. Here are pictures of my Z towing my tire trailer . . . with two sets of race tires & a toolbox!
Attached Thumbnails the ZEDTowing a jet ski-trailer1.jpg   the ZEDTowing a jet ski-trailer3.jpg  

Last edited by z-u-later; 01-04-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 AM
east1999bt

^ is that a billet grille? lol
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by folddem
i've seen alot of sports car tow small trailers for dirt bikes, jet skis etc. We do things differently here . Thanks for the replies, if it's too difficult prob chip in with a mate to buy the bigger trailers that can fit 2 jet skies on.

I would not pull two jet skis with the Zed, as you say. I bet that the weight of both and the trailer weight will be more than the amount the car can safely tow? Most cars have a rating on them for the amount of weight they can carry and tow. Davidv was right.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Go to a local autocross or road course and you will find sports cars towing tire trailers. Yes, these are hard-core track junkies. Here are pictures of my Z towing my tire trailer . . . with two sets of race tires & a toolbox!
That's significantly lighter than a much larger trailer with two jet skis on it....or even a larger trailer with one jet ski.
Two sets of rims/tires only weights about 400 pounds.
The '08 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra is 917 pounds dry. 20 gallon fuel tank....that's more than 1000 pounds itself. Granted they don't all weigh that much, but the trailer isn't made of feathers either.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Cw-350

ya, its a SPORTS car not a truck or suv. go buy a cheap older 1/2 ton truck. if you put a tow hitch on the z I think you'll be adding some comments to the "wrost things said about your z" thread.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Cyp

It's hilarious to read some of the ignorant posts in this thread about owners being critical of the Z being used as a tow car. These are probably the same clowns who bought a Z but have never driven their car on a track. You're basically in the same pool of owners who bought a 4v4 SUV and have never taken theirs off-road. You're basically a "poser!"

Wow, That's awesome! What kinda tow hook setup do you have? You think its possible to tow a race bike to track days?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 PM
folddem

Who in their right mind would tow 2 jet skies? Just thinking of towing one made me iffy hence i mad the post to see if it was possible as i have seen smaller sports cars tow jet skies. Towing with the Z would of been my last option!
I came to the conclusion of buying a double trailer so that it can be towed on my friend's ute.
Buying another "cheap" truck is just plain wrong. Rego, insurance, petrol etc. Doesn't work out to be very cheap if your just gonna use it to tow a jet ski 3-4 times a month.

Z-U-later, thanks for the post. How much weight in total are you towing? I think the Z would have no issues towing the jet ski but backing it into the water would be the main worry.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:22 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Fluid1
That's significantly lighter than a much larger trailer with two jet skis on it....or even a larger trailer with one jet ski.
Two sets of rims/tires only weights about 400 pounds.
The '08 Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra is 917 pounds dry. 20 gallon fuel tank....that's more than 1000 pounds itself. Granted they don't all weigh that much, but the trailer isn't made of feathers either.
My point is some of the members here have never seen a Z pulling a trailer. But then again, most of these same members criticizing a Z with a tow hitch have never seen a track before.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Cyp
Wow, That's awesome! What kinda tow hook setup do you have? You think its possible to tow a race bike to track days?
It's an eTrailer hitch made specifically for the 350Z. I have pulled two sets of race tires on the trailer. Each rim/tire is probably about 50lbs each, so that's about 400lbs, and then add the trailer weight, tool box, tools, tent, jack, etc. I'd say about 500 lbs total. The Z handles well with the trailer, even at 70mph on the freeway.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
feel real, towing anything with a sports car is just wrong
+1
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM
z-u-later

Z-U-later, thanks for the post. How much weight in total are you towing? I think the Z would have no issues towing the jet ski but backing it into the water would be the main worry.
That's not an issue at all -- there are ways around it. I have two jet skis that I tow with my pickup truck. I have friends who tow theirs with their cars or small pickups. When we get to the lake, they unhitch their trailers and I mount their trailer on my pickup. Yes, it's not a problem to ask other people at the lake to help you with your trailer at the ramp. You don't have to use your Z. Most people will gladly help you.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Who in their right mind would tow 2 jet skies?
I've seen a 2 door Civic hatch tow a 2 place ski trailer, and launch them no problem, Ive also seen a Corvette at the launch ramp with a 2 place trailer. The Z will have no problem, and would be a hell of a lot safer than the Civic. Remember the Z weights more and has more power than the average 1/4 ton truck.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
SoCal.VQ35DE

......I came to the conclusion of buying a double trailer so that it can be towed on my friend's ute....

Man I am so jealous. I first saw the Ute a few months ago and now that Pontiac is thinking about bringing it across the pond as a G8 SST I am super excited. I've seen tons of vids on youtube since I saw it.

How does your buddy like his? Does he have the LS2?

I was also a big fan of the GTO that we stole from you guys (The Holden Monero). LOL I guess I like Aussie cars
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Cyp

It's an eTrailer hitch made specifically for the 350Z. I have pulled two sets of race tires on the trailer. Each rim/tire is probably about 50lbs each, so that's about 400lbs, and then add the trailer weight, tool box, tools, tent, jack, etc. I'd say about 500 lbs total. The Z handles well with the trailer, even at 70mph on the freeway.
I looked up the eTrailer hitch. This is what it said:
Tech Tip: Trim bumper fascia approximately 1-3/4" x 2" for proper fit.
Did you have to trim your bumper? If so, would it be possible to see some pictures please?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
What does your owners manual say about towing?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:38 PM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would rather tow my Z with the jet skies
Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 PM
NOBI

oy, just grab a land rover.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Cyp
I looked up the eTrailer hitch. This is what it said:
Tech Tip: Trim bumper fascia approximately 1-3/4" x 2" for proper fit.
Did you have to trim your bumper? If so, would it be possible to see some pictures please?
You can't even see the small area where it was trimmed since the bumper is laying atop the hitch receiver. Check the autocross forum -- I may have a picture there of my hitch receiver.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 PM
alan86

btw i already posted in this thread, but why???
Old 01-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Z_Driver
Master

thinking of purchasing a second hand Yamaha Waverunner GP1200R

Getting a cheap truck to tow the jet ski will cost too much, its a big cost to register your car and have it insured.
Checked around with some local tow bar manufacturers and looks like it can be done.
Will most prob just get a new double trailer and have my friend pull it on his ute.
You just have to watch the weight as some have mentioned before. I wouldn't want to tow more than 1000lbs trailer plus ski and gas though.
You'd have to keep the tongue weight down to 100-150lbs max. Otherwise, you'd compress your Z suspension too much. Unless you customed and equalization hitch. Then, your talking real money. Lets see, trailer 1500, Hitch $300, Equalizer $800 ... at that point buy a cheap pickup $1500 and load the jet ski in the back of it. That's what we used to do.

As far as a double jet ski trailer..... I'd say that was out for a Z once loaded with tow jet skis. I mean the Z would pull it but, you waste the suspension, tranny, clutch etc... pretty fast.

Try to get a alum jet ski trailer to keep you weight down if possible.

As listed before .... this one is a good thread on the subject - https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/107244-z-hitch-prototype.html

Actually, after reading that thread it will be hard to come by I think. For $119 US Uhaul has one rated at 1500lbs for our cars:

http://store.uhaul.com/hitches.aspx

Good luck .....

Last edited by Z_Driver; 01-07-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Quick Reply: the ZEDTowing a jet ski