Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help!: Bought a CPO'd LEMON!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:12 AM
OPTIMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!: Bought a CPO'd LEMON!!

As some here may here may know, I've been in the hunt for a 350Z Track model. I test drove a great Brickyard 2003 a couple weeks ago but decided that I was going to wait until I found my favorite color, white.

Well, great news! I found a Certified Pre-Owned PPW 2006 350Z Track with ~21k miles about 2 hours south of me at Victory Nissan of Mechanicsville (VA).

The dealership was able to beat the financing rate that I got through my bank and we agreed on a 24,xxx price of the car. I was happy as a clam.

I then get in my car and start the two hour drive back to the DC area...

About an hour into the drive, the car starts to buck wildly with the tachometer needle flying from left to right, the rev light blinking and the revs slowly dropping. At this time I was doing probably 70mph in 6th and within seconds was down to 40mph on I-95N as I started to pull over. You can imagine the gut-wrenching feeling of having your beautiful new car having a major failure before you even get it home.

I called AAA and had the 350Z Track towed back to Victory Nissan of Mechanicsville (a rather expensive tow). I then called my sales guy (who was very nice by the way) at home around 11pm. He assured me that they would figure something out.

-----
Fast forward to this morning - they did not initiate a call, I had to initiate a call after they had been open for an hour+.
-----

I talked to the Sales Manager who told me there was no way they would rip up the sales agreement and just take the car back. I'm now waiting on a call from Service around 1 or 2 today (they close at 4) to tell me what they suspect is wrong with the car.

My thoughts - sensor detected major failure, put the engine in limp mode. Burning smell was either from engine or drivetrain.

Thoughts? I feel like now they are just going to try and say it was something minor, get the car running again and get me out of their hair.

How the hell did this make it through the certified pre-owned process?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No amount of inspection will detect a part that goes DOA after the fact.

Until you know exactly what the cause of the problem is, you probably ought to chill.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:44 AM
o6black350z

man that sucks, and its a 2006 with very little miles and already acting up? ... maybe the previous owner torchered the vehicle before trading it in, who knows, but yes dave is right... just sit tight and they'll let you know exactly whats wrong with it, and wow i would MAKE them take the damn car back!! ... 24k for a car that didnt last for 1 hour of driving... =/
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 AM
isaacbush

wow thats crazy its already acting so ****ed up
Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
No amount of inspection will detect a part that goes DOA after the fact.

Until you know exactly what the cause of the problem is, you probably ought to chill.

+1

jumping to conclusions is not the best route to take
Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
OPTIMO

It was definitely fun for the hour I had it. Really cozy little coupe. Still waiting on a call from the dealer to see what they think the problem might be. Once they fix the issue I'm going to ask them to flatbed it 2 hours north to my house.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Hope it all works out. That PPW track model is beautiful.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Sick Z

+1, very nice looking car indeed. Hope it all gets resolved.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Sco2355

Sorry to hear that your new car started acting up.

Only thing I can say is don't start jumping to conclusions and blaming the dealership because then people are going to start flaming you.

I'm sure everything will work out and I hope it's in a timely manner. Is it possible being an 06 it could have something to do with that Oil Consumption problem?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM
OPTIMO

Sorry - it's just a lot of coin for something that should have had a more thorough inspection. Came back CPS which explains why the REV LED was blinking when I initially was driving it (thought it was TCS or something because it was wet outside). That should not have made it through a CPO inspection. The first call and then couldn't figure it out. Even I suspected it was a TPS or sensor of some sort.

Whoever did the pre inspection is to blame. Hopefully they sort it out so I can sign up for some track time in March. I can guarantee you that if I had a problem like this with BMW, they would have asked me what kind of coffee I wanted waiting for me when I came in to talk to them. Different price points of cars, but vastly different service experienced thus far.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
prew

Most states legally give you a few days to return a car to the dealer no matter what the circumstance. Check into that, if you don't feel comfortable give it back walk away.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:38 PM
crazydelicious

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
I can guarantee you that if I had a problem like this with BMW, they would have asked me what kind of coffee I wanted waiting for me when I came in to talk to them. Different price points of cars, but vastly different service experienced thus far.
So...get a BMW if you want some Starbucks
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Klei14

That sucks man, I hope it is a minor problem, or they give you your money back.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:07 PM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by crazydelicious
So...get a BMW if you want some Starbucks
Already have one on order. Looking at ordering a 135i as a DD as well. Level of service should be good no matter what. This was a 30k sports car from a legit dealership not a shifty used car lot.

Thus far, I've had to initiate almost all calls. Not impressed.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:13 PM
blastoff99

Originally Posted by prew
Most states legally give you a few days to return a car to the dealer no matter what the circumstance. Check into that, if you don't feel comfortable give it back walk away.

Unlikely, sadly. The law to which I believe you refer is designed to protect you from door-to-door salesmen. In the case of someone coming to YOU, you often do have three days to change your mind. In the case of you GOING to a place of business, most states offer no such legal protection. This is a pretty commonly mis-understood law.

However, to the OP, I hope in your state you do have the option of going back and ripping up the contract. Or maybe they'll find something really minor, fix it, and you and your beautiful Z will live happily ever after.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:14 PM
AndrewCote

that sucks. im sorry man. i would think it would have to be a senser defect. what you said
Old 02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
vnarang

I hope they it back. It is such a sh!tty feeling to buy something and then not like it because its screwing you over, has some problem.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 AM
skn5002

I'm sure the dealership would do something for you ... if not you should turn up the pressure because this sounds pretty ridiculous. Hope everything work out
Old 02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an '04 lemon nearly brand new in '06. it was a lemon because the dealership bought it back and had to replace the tranny and clutch, I've had no problems with it so far.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
2fast4comfort

Originally Posted by blastoff99
Unlikely, sadly. The law to which I believe you refer is designed to protect you from door-to-door salesmen. In the case of someone coming to YOU, you often do have three days to change your mind. In the case of you GOING to a place of business, most states offer no such legal protection. This is a pretty commonly mis-understood law.

However, to the OP, I hope in your state you do have the option of going back and ripping up the contract. Or maybe they'll find something really minor, fix it, and you and your beautiful Z will live happily ever after.

sorry he was right most states you have a three day period to return it

Quick Reply: Please help!: Bought a CPO'd LEMON!!