Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z roadster vs S2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never take the 350z vert over a S2k. never.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:57 AM
kenpo_350Z

Originally Posted by Motormouth
I would never take the 350z vert over a S2k. never.
Why?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Donsred350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing to do is drive a 350ZR then a S2000. Then compare the feeling you want and get while driving. Some people love the thrill of reviving a engine to 8k-9k rpms to get it to move fast they like taking the twisties as fast as they can on city streets. What I find is that a low torque vehicle under 3500-4000 rpms feels sluggest and you have to shift more times to get it to move. Also the ride and suspension of the S2000 seems tighter and rougher then the 350Z, you feel every bump in the road but the streeing, brakes and shifting are smooth & precise. Now the RX-8 has a smoother ride, the same hi reviving type fun but the S2000 engine is better and has better overall performance imo. As you know the S2K has a different/plain looking interior made of nice material.

The 350ZR is a solid vehicle less single purpose and you don't have to work so hard to put a smile on your face. As its been stated I agree the S2000 looks better top up, but top down the ZR holds it on and I think looks better top down and that's saying something bc the s2k is a nice looking car. I like the engine, sitting position, shifter looks and postion (hardly nothing beats the S2000's smooth accurate shifting) also the power that the 350ZR gives at any time you slam the throttle. The look and feel just puts a smile on your face, the car handles well and is just a thrill to drive. Compared to the tight cockpit of the S2000 it feels more roomier almost more luxurious but the interior of the Z-car is far from that, though it is practical and sporty. The Z-car seems more dual purpose but both are not 4 season vehicle imo.

It really is just a personal choice both are nice vehicles with pluses and minuses. Do you like the thrill of a screaming engine at 8000rpms or do you like being able to fly anytime U stomp the throttle? With the S2000 and 350ZR arrival from 0-60 will be near the same thrilling great feeling. It's just arrived at differently.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 02-12-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
kenpo_350Z

I appreciate your post that gives me some good info. The S2000 really was a dog in the low RPMS. I didn't like having to push on the throttle and leave it in gear just to keep up with a mini van.

It sounds like for a daily driver and all around fun the the ZR is the way to go. I don't track so the twisties won't be that much of a loss. I did love how the S was so responsive. The ZR is probably no slouch though.

I will hopefully get to test drive a ZR this weekend. I really don't know if we even have one in town though. My old VR-4 is going to be picked up this saturday so I will be looking more serious after that. Until then its the 98 accord.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM
ZKansasZ

Kenpo, if I was you I keep the s2k!
but if you want a z, get a coupe, imo.
Check out our local website and we can hang with you there@
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM
JMIKE

Cool Z roadster vs S2000

I owned an 01 S-2000 black on black 6 speed. 9000 rpm redline... the car was a 4 wheeled crotch rocket. (Loaned it to my son after his high school graduation, he got a ticket for 117 in a 35 zone. He walked a bunch after that). The car was a blast to drive, but on a highway, it felt like a cycle. It was buzzy, definitely had a "feel" for the road. I recently bought an 06 Z roadster 6spd (Black Cherry-fine!) and this car just feels more "put together". I will say that when the S's stock vtec kicked in, it felt like a turbo coming on. I do think the S was faster in stock form, but the Z is a better all around car.

Last edited by JMIKE; 02-12-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 AM
kenpo_350Z

I don't have the S2K anymore so thats not an option. I went to the twin turbo VR-4 thinking it would be a fun car with the AWD. It just wasn't as fun as the S2K. I just think I want to get into the ZR.

JMIKE have you modded the ZR yet? I know what you mean about vtec. It does feel amazing. The twin turbo on the other hand felt like vtec times 10. It still didn't give me that excitement I hoped it would.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 AM
ZKansasZ

I didnt know you sold your S2k.
In that case, Im voting for a ZR simply because we need a ZR in our website and at our car meets, lol
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
JMIKE

Default Z roadster vs S2000

Kenpo, no mods for the ZR yet! I just got it, and the weather here SUCKS! 5'' of snow and more on the way. The Z is in the garage with a cover on it... I talk to it daily, but can't wait to give it some tlc... dealer cleaned it, but it needs a buff/wax, etc. I'm getting used to the looks of it and I like the fact that top up it looks kind of funky... Zweet car!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
kenpo_350Z

Originally Posted by JMIKE
Kenpo, no mods for the ZR yet! I just got it, and the weather here SUCKS! 5'' of snow and more on the way. The Z is in the garage with a cover on it... I talk to it daily, but can't wait to give it some tlc... dealer cleaned it, but it needs a buff/wax, etc. I'm getting used to the looks of it and I like the fact that top up it looks kind of funky... Zweet car!
Lol, I can see you going in telling it good morning and tell it to have a good night. I know I would be checking on mine too if I couldn't get it out.

Yeah I think just based on the opinions of Z and S owners on the whole debate the ZR may be the best option for me. I loved the S but I am looking for a more friendly daily driver until I save up for a beater. I think we trading in the Accord just to help out with a down payment. I want to find an 05 ZR touring with no more than 50K. The less the better. I hope to get one while the winter prices are low. I have found some good deals. We really just waiting for my wifes Dodge Nitro to show up. Shipping takes forever. Once she gets her car I can get rid of the accord her old car.

I wouldn't mind a coupe but I love the feeling of top down on a nice summer night. My top was almost always down in the S.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
Why?
the vert Z is a girl's touring car. it is heavy and ugly as pigshit.

the S2k is a true roadster, lightweight, small propotions and sexy looking. it was designed as a roadster and looks like it should.

I guess it comes down to what you want. the ZR is more of a lux touring car and less of a sports car than the S2k, but the interior is much larger and you have a much more useable powerband for cruising.

I want a S2k, and wouldn't even consider the ZR.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Delako

the S2k is a true roadster, lightweight, small propotions and sexy looking. it was designed as a roadster and looks like it should.

I guess it comes down to what you want. the ZR is more of a lux touring car and less of a sports car than the S2k, but the interior is much larger and you have a much more useable powerband for cruising.

*takes a top-down spin thru the backwoods roads, then looks at the interior of my ZR and wonders where the luxury touring part comes in*
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Motormouth
Banned

dude, those roadsters are veeeery nice inside, even compared to my 03coupe

they added a crap load of sound deadening, better tactile feels on the plastics, seats are nice and supportive (you probably have leather? heated? electric contols?) the suspensions are pretty soft, good amount of body roll...

they are very nice, solid cars but to me, they are a touring car (in stock form) over a sports car.

ninja edit: i didn't mean lux like a Merc or anything
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Donsred350Z

I have a 05 coupe touring 29K miles on it, love my Car, well I like my car a lot Love is an extreme word. But alot of times the way I drive and use my car the ZR would be better tooling around sunglasses on with a pretty babe.

Now the coupe ain't bad but nothing beats a Roadster in summer time. If I had a ZR I'd probably want a Coupe, so such is life.

As for being a touring vehicle most say that about the 350Z coupe, but take it to the Track and you leave feeling like this thing deserves to be on the Track. Like throwing shark back into to water. There was a post here of a guy auto crossing his ZR and winning, beating out imo the more suited for auto Xing S2ks.

I admire the S2000 but at 6'3 225lb it's just too small and tight fitting imo, now that's ok most of the times, I don't mind feeling like I'm about strecht something out. But it takes too much to make her scream. But if we are talking Cars, I want it to fit like a comfortable glove and scream when I put it to her.

Roadsters are cool as sh%t!! Bottom line.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 02-12-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell us how your really feel Tom.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Motormouth
Banned

oh Dutch, yours is cool cause it's aftermarket. don't you have 20s anyway?

I just insulted rick as well if it makes you feel better. actually it's taylor's now so I just called him a girl
Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Delako

dude, those roadsters are veeeery nice inside, even compared to my 03coupe

they added a crap load of sound deadening, better tactile feels on the plastics, seats are nice and supportive (you probably have leather? heated? electric contols?) the suspensions are pretty soft, good amount of body roll...

they are very nice, solid cars but to me, they are a touring car (in stock form) over a sports car.

ninja edit: i didn't mean lux like a Merc or anything

Nahh..I didnt want VDC so I got an enthusiast with cloth I dont know about other sound deadening materials, but the single layer roof isnt the quietest on earth. And I dont think the interior materials are any different than the Coupe 07s?

I will say though...my floormats are PLUSH. Suck it.

Last edited by Delako; 02-12-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh Dutch, yours is cool cause it's aftermarket. don't you have 20s anyway?

I just insulted rick as well if it makes you feel better. actually it's taylor's now so I just called him a girl
haha ... for the record My Z probably weighs less than 3400 lbs (no cats, spare, tools, 1/4 tank of gas).

I plan on weighing it at our next track night this April. I'll be on MT ET Streets ... no 20s.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Delako
Nahh..I didnt want VDC so I got an enthusiast with cloth I dont know about other sound deadening materials, but the single layer roof isnt the quietest on earth. And I dont think the interior materials are any different than the Coupe 07s?

I will say though...my floormats are PLUSH. Suck it.
yeah, all the Z's got the sweet upgraded interiors. mine doesn't :/
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
haha ... for the record My Z probably weighs less than 3400 lbs (no cats, spare, tools, 1/4 tank of gas).

I plan on weighing it at our next track night this April. I'll be on MT ET Streets ... no 20s.
I will still say it's 2400+ easy.

Quick Reply: 350Z roadster vs S2000