Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Having Trouble With Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
GSX-R350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh you know what...i'm just glad that no retard came in here flaming the guy...

you'll get it bro...1st and 2nd gear is the hardest...

it's okay to play with the clutch just get use to the engagement point...it's really high.

Also...a good trick is to put the car in first and slowly release the clutch until you feel your car moving, it'll move slowly just play with that and you'll know exactly where it engages...it may not be good for your clutch, but it's helpful.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM
dark321devil

i got my z in december. First stick shift. First time i sat in it, couldnt move from the spot. Now i think back to it and am like "how the hell wasnt i able to move it". Im still no expert but i can get from point A to B without stalling unless theres a big hill with a stop sign on top.lol. The way i learned is look at your tach. Bring revs between 1,500-2000 and start releasing clutch. once you get that down, you shouldnt stall. now i start releasing the clutch at 1,000-1,200 rpm.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned on my 2000 Celica GTS.

When I got the Z, it just took a week to get used to it.

Haven't stalled it or anything at all...
IMO... You shouldn't learn on a sports car
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
AdriaN-

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2006 Base 6MT 350z. I went out with a driving instructor today (since no one else in my family besides my brother knows manual, and he is away at college). I started off horrible, it was very hard for me to coordinate the gas with the clutch (my main problem was releasing the clutch slow enough, while adding little gas). This is my first manual car, and I am having all sorts of problems. Did you guys have these problems when you first started out? All I want to do is practice but its hard enough to get out of my driveway because the instuctor wasnt the best, and we were working on starting in first, and not on reverse.

So now I am waiting untill my brother comes home this weekend to help get me to learn on this car.

I know you guys get TONS of these threads, I was just wondering if any of you could forget that and try and help me with any tips that you could give me. Anything would help. Anything would be appreciated.

At the end of my 2 hour instuction, I was able to start the car w/o gas, with some gas going downhill and on a flat surface, I was getting everything pretty smooth

I am just very scared/nevous that I will never master this car and I will have to sell something I love and want so much becasue I simply cannot learn this.

Do you guys think I can get this manual driving down?
Dont quit dude. Keep practicing and you will get it down just fine. My brother bought his STi without knowing how to drive stick and he went through a mission for the first 4 hours but once he got it down he feel in love, youll do the same. Just keep practicing Manual is the **** =)
Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 PM
kdyngus

maaan ... You are learning to drive a stick in 350z ?? Sorry, but this is crazy !!! If you never drove a manual you suppose to learn how to do it using 1.6 Civic or Focus and not a 300HP car !!!

My advise is : learn how to drive stick first and than learn how to drive 350z !!!!! Practice is the key !!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
GSX-R350Z

it's okay...whatever you do...try not to launch...over drop the clutch when you panic...it's never good...play with the clutch...

if you stall don't beat yourself in the head...heh just play...after all it is a 350z =) have fun...
Old 02-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by 3fittyBiH
with all due respect sir, you are ****n retarded
Wow, if Baltimore is full of idiots like you, I have one less reason to go there.

Nice aquarium though.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Riyazsf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to teach myself. you'll get it . when i got my z i just read about it and watched a few youtube vids and after a few stalls i was off.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
NismoFan47

Hey, at least he knows to get 6spd and not an automatic! Good choice man, and don't get discouraged! You'll get it down, 350z isn't known for smooth shifting either. Even if you've been driving stick for over 10 years, shifting smooth with the 350z doesn't always happen.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Donsred350Z

OP keep practicing I think 1st is the hardest gear to learn but as advised smooth let out and engagement point is to be learned. After you get started you can almost eliminate going to 1st again unless at a dead still or incline.

As for backing out the driveway if its at a incline just press the clucht in or shift to neutral while holding the break slightly and let it roll back. After its out of the drive place it in reverse if you need to straighten up or place it in 1st and take off.

The point of let it roll back is that you are not backing out under power until you get use to the Z's throttle try that.

The next thing to do is practice holding your position at a stop sign on a incline. After a little practice it becomes instinctive and fun.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
VQZ33_Jake

we've all gone through it...last summer when i bought the car it took me a couple weeks to get comfortable with it. before i put it away for the winter i was switching gears quick and smooth like a pro...now ive been driving a 5sp beater around for the past 3 months or so, i just took the Z out last night to drive it around for a little bit and I found out that im not as good as I was because i forgot the shiftpoints and im not use to the power like i was before i put it away, so now im back to square one...well maybe square two .

dont worry, you'll get used to it.
Jake
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Deftones

I think it's a good idea to get used to the gas pedal first. Take it to a parking lot, put it in neutral and gently tap the gas. Watch the RPM's, and listen to the sounds your engine makes. Too little gas, and you'll stall... too much gas and if you come off the clutch quick, you'll break traction. But nothing will go as planned if you are scared sh!tless. Your legs will shake too much to do anything smoothly and you'll end up only doing n00b ****. So do whatever you need to do to relax first. Smoke a ciggy, smoke a bowl... whatever. Clear your mind, grasshopper.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks for all the help. I know I am lucky to have a 350z while being 17, I say it plenty of times to myself that not everyone is this fortunate. But damn, I say it everynight. So i'm sorry to all of you who couldn't afford this type of car when you were 17. It was the best feeling in the world when I finally got it. Stalling, a whole different story. Thats besides the point. As for the driveway bit, I will be waiting for my brother who comes home Thursday and I will be spending every chance I get in perfecting the Z, I think the whole 300 hp and beginner isn't that big of a deal because, if it wasn't ment for me, I wouldnt be able to do it at all, I can at least get it started very smoothly on flat ground and going down hills. I just need to build my confidence up enough that I can practice around the neighborhood. As for what I will be doing Thursday and all weekend is practicing in a nice big parking lot, with some moderate hills. I won't stop till I have learned this car, I made a promise to myself. You guys don't know how bad I want to learn its just a detrement to myself when no one else knows manual around me. And if I want more lessons I will be spending over 100 bucks each one. Going through 100 bucks just got me moving, he didnt even know where reverse was I had to tell him haha. To anyone who asked where I live, I live in Bucks County, in Warrington. Thanks alot.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:55 AM
jcleary47

Originally Posted by NismoFan47
Hey, at least he knows to get 6spd and not an automatic!
Hey guess what, you're a goddamn tool.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:39 PM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think of starting off in first like a scale. There must be a balance between the clutch and gas pedal. After first the rest of the gears should come easy no slipping of the clutch needed.

You choose a pretty difficult car to begin with driving stick.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM
VQpoweredZ

Thank you for everyone who has been relpying, I just got back from drving my friends 06 5 speed WRX. That car was very easy to learn on. I never stalled once! And by the end everything was very smooth and natural. Now if I could transfer that learning to my 350z. One very important question though, please respnd to this, at what rpm I am starting in first? Do I rev it up to about 2000 and start releasing the clutch as I did with my buddies WRX? Or is this a little bit different in the 350z?
Old 02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Thank you for everyone who has been relpying, I just got back from drving my friends 06 5 speed WRX. That car was very easy to learn on. I never stalled once! And by the end everything was very smooth and natural. Now if I could transfer that learning to my 350z. One very important question though, please respnd to this, at what rpm I am starting in first? Do I rev it up to about 2000 and start releasing the clutch as I did with my buddies WRX? Or is this a little bit different in the 350z?

You dont really rev unless you are racing. Generally coming out of first you just let the clutch up and give it a little gas right at the sweet spot where the clutch starts to engage. The car will start moving when you are raising the clutch. No need to rev. It should be on seamless transition.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
3FIDDYZED

99% of us in the UK learn on a manual and take our test in a manual, had a few people on our UK OC have had issues with the Zed when they have first driven.

As many have said practice make perfect, learn your bitting points, gently easing off the clutch whilst pushing the accelerator.

Using a slight incline will give you some good practice, just holding it with the clutch and accelerator, gently letting out the clutch and pressing the accelerator going a few feet then pressing in the clutch and letting off the accelerator not using the brake. Make sure there are no cars round you when you try.

I have the same thing remembering what to do in an auto when I first get in... Forget I dont need 2 feet!!

Good luck and enjoy the Zed
Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
my05350z

like i said before op, you rev over 1000 and you are wasting gas.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
blazefast

WRXs and STis are worlds easier to learn on compared to our cars, but as I said, hang in there and it will come to you.

As far as the RPM needed from a dead stop, it really depends on the situation. On perfectly flat ground, you really don't need much of anything to get it going. A light blip on the throttle just before the clutch engages should be enough in most circumstances. Like others have said, just look for that sweet spot where the clutch just begins to engage (about mid-way through pedal travel) and slowly add throttle while letting out the clutch.

Keep in mind, 350Zs have a pretty high engagement point as compared to most other cars (especially the WRX you've been driving). Theres a lot of free play in the pedal from the firewall up to the engagement point, and the engagement point itself is pretty small. I think once you get the hang of exactly where the engine and tranny hook up in the pedal's movement, you'll do just fine.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble With Manual...