Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Having Trouble With Manual...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
VQZ33_Jake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless im going up a hill or have people behind me i just slowly let off the clutch, i dont think i even use the gas pedal when going from a stop.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:26 PM
350zPinoy

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
Thank you for everyone who has been relpying, I just got back from drving my friends 06 5 speed WRX. That car was very easy to learn on. I never stalled once! And by the end everything was very smooth and natural. Now if I could transfer that learning to my 350z. One very important question though, please respnd to this, at what rpm I am starting in first? Do I rev it up to about 2000 and start releasing the clutch as I did with my buddies WRX? Or is this a little bit different in the 350z?
Wow, driving a wrx is actually pretty hard. You can never hit first gear unless your close to a complete stop but, then again maybe thats why it was easy for you the clutch bites pretty quick on first with the wrx unlike the z. Now as far as revving up before you hitting first gear, i rev up about 1500rpms and slow release the clutch so in it can engage. Good luck bro.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Willie

How is it comming now?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
3fittyBiH

Originally Posted by Kegsbane
Wow, if Baltimore is full of idiots like you, I have one less reason to go there.

Nice aquarium though.

what..i said with all due respect, that makes it okay. LOL. no, its retarded that he bought a Z and then learns how to drive stick.he should`ve learned before on some beater.you have to crawl before you walk..no disrespect tho
Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
sporkdevil

I learned stick on the Z, and don't worry. The only dealership around where I live that would give me leather and black was over an hour away. After 1.5 hours of learning, I drove home, in rush hour traffic, during a damn rain storm. I stalled out probably a dozen times, people honking, especially on hills, and all that.

I honestly went through the same thing, where I was thinking I had made a horrible decision getting the stick shift. I thought I wasted $30K on a car that would be a pain to drive and I would never get used to it or like driving it.

I'm about 6 months in, not always perfect in shifting, but I don't know if I can ever get back to an automatic. I get way too damn bored, and it's like I'm ignoring something. Just like what everyone told me when I was looking for an auto (my mom actually called me a ***** until I got the stick), you will love that damn thing pretty quick.

And I think when I was still working on first gear, I had about a week where I would spin the tires from the start. It takes a little work, but it 100% worth it. There is nothing like shifting through the gears, and keeping the gear you want, depending on how you want to drive. I can ride down the highway in 6th gear for gas mileage, or just ride it out in 3rd or 4th so I can switch lanes and jump ahead of anyone.

And to 3fittyBiH, not everyone has time to learn on a beater. My old truck got totaled (not my fault, there wasn't even anyone in the car), and to think I would not only have to look for a 350Z, which I checked every place every day for a month, but I should go buy another car to learn a stick. That's cool, I will look for 2 cars at once, even though I have things like a job and school I have to go to. Sadly, not everyone has months and months to prepare to buy a new car. I was making calls on vacation trying to get the right car for me. And I bought the Z, and learned on it.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
NismoFan47

Originally Posted by jcleary47
Hey guess what, you're a goddamn tool.
thanks lol, but c'mon...automatic sports car??
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 AM
GSX-R350Z

Heh...the Z's engagement point use to always get me. I remember when I first got my Z I always had to look at my RPM and make sure it was perfect, but within a month or so you stop.

OP before you know it, it'll all be in your head. It'll just come to you one day and you won't even know it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Donsred350Z

Thank you for everyone who has been relpying, I just got back from drving my friends 06 5 speed WRX. That car was very easy to learn on. I never stalled once! And by the end everything was very smooth and natural. Now if I could transfer that learning to my 350z. One very important question though, please respnd to this, at what rpm I am starting in first? Do I rev it up to about 2000 and start releasing the clutch as I did with my buddies WRX? Or is this a little bit different in the 350z?

Heres a rule of thumbs until you get things down, in a car like the 350Z that has a high clucht catch blip the throttle slightly twice and as the rpms drop toward idling rpm, start letting off the clucht you should take off smoothing as you slowly release the clucht. Note here release the clucht too quickly at a high point of rpm can cause tires to smoke or car to get out of control or start jerking. Smoothly and slowly work the clucht and apply throttle as it catches.

Usually a standard shift is a standard shift with the exception of the where the clucht engages, Subaru or Nissan.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:46 AM
VQpoweredZ

Thanks alot guys.

And to the people who have said I shouldn't learn on a 350z. I already contemplated buying a shitty beater, learn, and sell it, but...everyone who I told that idea thought I was an idiot.

I haven't driven the car since my driving instructor left. I will let all you guys know Friday night (which I will not be attending my high school on friday because there is a columbine threat) but thats besides the point, I will have extra time to learn with my brother who comes home from Penn State University on Thursday. I think I have gotten everything down from learning on the WRX, as everyone said a clutch is a clutch and the gas is the gas if your in a 350z or WRX. I just need to really practice it.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Zstunin

Default you'll get it

next thing you know you will be down shifting, and driving and you probably wont remember that you driving a stick.......... like they said it becomes second nature after a few months...........
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
saidog24

Dont feel bad man, this was my first manual as well, so i was forced to learn it too... I felt I didnt deserve it at first because it was so frustrating not being able to drive it properly, but now its just like breathing... you dont even think about it... keep practicing!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
VQZ33_Jake

Originally Posted by NismoFan47
thanks lol, but c'mon...automatic sports car??
lol
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

like people have said before its really all about the catch point. just let your clutch out a little before stepping on any gas. when the rpm starts dropping that's where the point is.

in my 03 i have to let the clutch out quite a lot compared to many MT i've driven, i've heard they might have adjusted it for the newer models?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
VQpoweredZ

HOMiEZ I doubt they have adjusted it, it still is very high. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM
GSX-R350Z

some people adjust their clutch, i'm about to do mine.

you'll get it bro don't worry...

and you won't realize how easy it is until you step into an automatic and start reachign for the clutch and gear shifter ...

i do all the time with my aunts benz ahha...
Old 03-02-2008, 06:44 AM
VQpoweredZ

Hey guys, I just got done practicing with my brother all friday and saturday and I am about to go out and practice today. I just would hope you guys could help me out again. I can get the car moving pretty smooth with just a blip of gas. However the only problems I am having now is that when I am turning, I turn and the turning of the wheel covers up the rpms. This makes it difficult for me to see how much gas I am giving it (for instance going up a hill while making a turn.) Now it is evident that I have to feel the car without looking at the rpms so much. Another big problem I have been having is when im shifting i'm hesitant to give it gas becasue the car feels it wants to buck. Could you guys give me some tips as to get smoother shifting?

Also I felt like a dumbass because I wanted to shift to 3rd from 4th and I, by accident, downshifted back down to 2nd becasue I wasn't used to shifting in 4th that much. Any tips for that as well?

I really did think I came a long way from the first day I posted though. I'm even driving around back roads and neighborhoods now.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

took me awhile to get it down, especially with a lightweight flywheel/aftermarket ceramettalic clutch, but once i got the hang of it, it was well worth it.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:41 AM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

parking lot is your friend. Stop and go without killing the motor.

Starting from Zero up a hill takes much practice, so be mindful of that when driving around town when still learning.

Don't try to multitask when driving a stick (drinking a coke, talking on phone, etc will all interfere with a new manual driver.)

I learned when I was 13 on a 1950 Chevy P/U (3 on the tree, 6V system.) Once you get it down you'll likely love the standard vs automatic...esp in a sportscar (you have greater control with the MT vs an AT)

Hey guys, I just got done practicing with my brother all friday and saturday and I am about to go out and practice today. I just would hope you guys could help me out again. I can get the car moving pretty smooth with just a blip of gas. However the only problems I am having now is that when I am turning, I turn and the turning of the wheel covers up the rpms. This makes it difficult for me to see how much gas I am giving it (for instance going up a hill while making a turn.) Now it is evident that I have to feel the car without looking at the rpms so much. Another big problem I have been having is when im shifting i'm hesitant to give it gas becasue the car feels it wants to buck. Could you guys give me some tips as to get smoother shifting?

Also I felt like a dumbass because I wanted to shift to 3rd from 4th and I, by accident, downshifted back down to 2nd becasue I wasn't used to shifting in 4th that much. Any tips for that as well?

I really did think I came a long way from the first day I posted though. I'm even driving around back roads and neighborhoods now.

PRACTICE. Listen to the motor, learn how it sounds at different RPM's and you won't need a tach. you can put the car into 2nd (or 1st if that suits you) before you turn and then let the clutch out before the turn. Make the turn with it in gear and then you don't have to worry...

On the accidental down shift - don't try to force it in gear. when in 3rd you should be able to pull straight back (with very little force.) and it will want to go into 4th.

Bucking - practice with how much gas vs how little clutch just takes practice. Rev matching is something to practice.

Last edited by WTX350Z; 03-02-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Cabriniman

... when I am turning, I turn and the turning of the wheel covers up the rpms. This makes it difficult for me to see how much gas I am giving it (for instance going up a hill while making a turn.) Now it is evident that I have to feel the car without looking at the rpms so much. Another big problem I have been having is when im shifting i'm hesitant to give it gas becasue the car feels it wants to buck. Could you guys give me some tips as to get smoother shifting?
Turning - I would try to avoid shifting too much when you are turning. If you gas it too much you may spin your back tires and if you don't you may bog down. Also, if you aren't already, open your windows when you are practicing. That way you can hear the engine more.

Bucking Z - I think the bucking is because you are shifting when you don't need too. I wouldn't shift to a higher gear until at least 4k RPMs. If you are shifting up and the RPM drops to below 1500 you are shifting too early. It may help to lift up on the clutch slower to smooth the transition.

... I wanted to shift to 3rd from 4th and I, by accident, downshifted back down to 2nd becasue I wasn't used to shifting in 4th that much. Any tips for that as well?
Miss-shifting - ... happens. The best advice is practice. If you aren't confident that you are in the right gear put the shifter in neutral and try again. Better that then possibly jacking up your transmission. A tip here is that when it is difficult to put the shifter in gear (you have to push hard) then you may be in the wrong one.

I'm glad to hear that you are learning stick! You're joining an elite group of drivers (only 15% of Americans can do it).

Last edited by Cabriniman; 03-02-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Denum

Eh, you probably should of got the hang of it by now, if not there are some videos you could watch that take you step by step on what to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txRTo...eature=related

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble With Manual...