Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

STi owner asked did I buy the 350Z just for its looks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 06:23 AM
kaos1

you should have asked him if he bought the STi for looks, then laughed
Old 03-07-2008 | 07:30 AM
Donsred350Z

I agree with most of the post, but giving the Sti and Evo there due. They are 4clyinder (albeit turbo charged) that are faster then the Zs V6 they also handle better in the snow and rain. I feel its hard to argue with the numbers performance wise these little boggers are fast and handle well. I noticed that even on the Bmw forum you hear about the Sti and Evos' performance vs. their M3 series. You do hear them talk about the 350Z also but not in regards to beating a 1999+ M3. Practicality it has 4 seat and in the snow it takes a the Bmw winter package to compare, the Z simple just doesn't. The STi feels like a Sporty vehicle to me of course I'd rather have a M3.

But the Corvette doesn't handle well in the snow, the Z is more like the Vette/Porsche (real sport cars) its mostly 2 seater, real wheel drive sports car, its main purpose is to thrill and delight its driver and on lookers. Just looking at the Evo or Sti you would never think it was a $34,000 car maybe $18k. All that great technology and Gorillza looking as hell. Some of these drivers think it looks customized?

While eating at a restruant looking out at the people gawking at my 350Z, I just feel proud to still be a Z-car driver.

Now my Corvette friend does pi$$ me off with his statement that from a certain angle the Z looks round sorta like a VW bug, that's another story. I usually tell him without missing a spon full or sip of tea humm, they say the same thing about the 911/Porsche and he is quite for a moment. The Corvette is a a helll of a car if he can keep it out of the shop, but hell like he says thats what the warranty is for. I like me some Corvette.

I really can't hate on anybodies choice of vehicle but they do hate on the Z-car. Through the twisties I'm right behind him in his Vette only on the straight does his 400horse show up. I keep telling him that the 350Z just looks like a Porsche its not a 911 (it performs more like a Boxtser or Cayman) and I didn't pay $70k either.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 03-07-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2008 | 08:27 AM
stev3

i think the sti and 350z are both fantastic cars
every car has their ups and downs

you can relate this to the common "350z vs s2000" threads
haha

but anyways the guy with the sti is full of it

walk the walk, talk the talk
Old 03-07-2008 | 08:30 AM
zonic03

Turbo vs turbo the Z will win. They should make a turbo Z.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:07 AM
bankZ 173

Originally Posted by StrauZZ
I don't get it. I saw the new evo starts at $13,900 and goes all the way up to $37,000+. It woud be nice to have an AWD turbo car but make it look like a $40K car and not a economy car that has been riced out.
That's probably for the lancer... EVO's start in the high 20's.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:17 AM
DraGonAlchemist

I could of answered that guy to perfection. .Lucky for me my GF has an 05 Sti Black. .and i've got the 03 Z black. .the biggest difference i would have told him is the power, ONLY due to the turbo. .take away the turbo and you've got another RS 2.5 regular subaru. .the big *** turbo makes all the difference. I then would have started to state stock for stock. .the Z deff out handles the sti with ease (normal weather-no snow), due to it's lower stance wider wheel base and amazing suspension. The sti is very bouncy and does not corner as well as i would like, but on a straight away its pretty much unbeatable less i really work the Z to it's limit and maybe beyond i can keep up about 1-3 car lengths depending. . . the Z i'd then state is a Sports car due to it's look and feel. .the Sti is a Rally Car for the same reason.
.I'd hit him at the end stating. .What would i want to pick up my date in. a car that looks and feels like a Porsche I can drive in a suit. .or a HS Students Subaru??????????!!!

the wayhe came at you with them ?'s was kinda dumb!!. .

Last edited by DraGonAlchemist; 03-07-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:23 AM
GHOST1207

like OMG!!! that dude was like really hating on your Z

Old 03-07-2008 | 09:26 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

STI=Rally car, Z=sports car

hes a ****in douche and has no idea WTF hes talking about
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:31 AM
Z33_kid

i had an sti only thing i really miss of it is the performance other than that the Z is a beauty some of a porshe
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:32 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia
Premier Member

I dont know what he is talking about stock for stock I was pulling alot of STIs on the highway, maybe it was the driver mod.

I think the boy racer attitude is way overplayed. Seriously GTFO and keep comments to yourself.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:32 AM
angelo350z

I'm sorry, but your friend's an idiot fanboy. A real car enthusiast understands and appreciates a vehicle's dynamics regardless of the make, model, drivetrain layout, etc. I have always liked the STi and have always known they were faster than my Z. The thing is, I didn't care since the Z was the only car that made me look back everytime I leave it. AWD is great, but I prefer RWD on my cars. Pure sports cars should be RWD IMHO.
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:39 AM
DraGonAlchemist

haha. .ask him if he saw any STi's in a CAR movie. .(tokyo drift)

HOT FUZZ don't count. . .
Old 03-07-2008 | 09:56 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
haha. .ask him if he saw any STi's in a CAR movie. .(tokyo drift)

HOT FUZZ don't count. . .

That wont help anything!
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:08 AM
noir06

I would say anything can be made fast. You can take a yugo and make it fast. I've seen an old Chrysler minivan complete with wood panel siding running low 12's in the qtr. But no matter how fast you make it it's still a Town & Country or it's still a Yugo. Show me a Yugo that runs 11 second qtr's and handles well and I still won't trade my Z for it. IMO sti's and evo's are grocery getters that have just been made fast for you by the manufacturer. Doesn't change what they are. When I bought the Z I was shopping for a sports car......sti's and evo's never even entered my brain regardless of performance and pricing.

Your "friend" was obviously being a douche just for the sake of being a douche. +1 for the falcon punch to the vagina. Should have punched him right in the ovary. Or simply ask him, "Why do you care?"
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:09 AM
OPTIMO

It's the best valued car to learn how to drive a proper RWD chassis. I bought mine simply for that reason. When I can get 90% of the car's performance out of it then I'll move on.

I wouldn't buy this if it was my only car or my DD. It sucks on gas and there's not a lot of storage. It is however, a very fun car for the coin.
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:13 AM
michaeljr6

Sti got uglier so.........

FAIL
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:17 AM
SRTtoZ

Acutally the new Evo STARTS at mid 30's.
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:30 AM
jadaniya
Banned

Originally Posted by Donsred350Z
I agree with most of the post, but giving the Sti and Evo there due. They are 4clyinder (albeit turbo charged) that are faster then the Zs V6 they also handle better in the snow and rain. I feel its hard to argue with the numbers performance wise these little boggers are fast and handle well. I noticed that even on the Bmw forum you hear about the Sti and Evos' performance vs. their M3 series. You do hear them talk about the 350Z also but not in regards to beating a 1999+ M3. Practicality it has 4 seat and in the snow it takes a the Bmw winter package to compare, the Z simple just doesn't. The STi feels like a Sporty vehicle to me of course I'd rather have a M3.

But the Corvette doesn't handle well in the snow, the Z is more like the Vette/Porsche (real sport cars) its mostly 2 seater, real wheel drive sports car, its main purpose is to thrill and delight its driver and on lookers. Just looking at the Evo or Sti you would never think it was a $34,000 car maybe $18k. All that great technology and Gorillza looking as hell. Some of these drivers think it looks customized?

While eating at a restruant looking out at the people gawking at my 350Z, I just feel proud to still be a Z-car driver.

Now my Corvette friend does pi$$ me off with his statement that from a certain angle the Z looks round sorta like a VW bug, that's another story. I usually tell him without missing a spon full or sip of tea humm, they say the same thing about the 911/Porsche and he is quite for a moment. The Corvette is a a helll of a car if he can keep it out of the shop, but hell like he says thats what the warranty is for. I like me some Corvette.

I really can't hate on anybodies choice of vehicle but they do hate on the Z-car. Through the twisties I'm right behind him in his Vette only on the straight does his 400horse show up. I keep telling him that the 350Z just looks like a Porsche its not a 911 (it performs more like a Boxtser or Cayman) and I didn't pay $70k either.
ramble much?
Old 03-07-2008 | 10:55 AM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
Sti got uglier so.........

FAIL
i must say i do like the look of the 05 ONLY!!. .that to me was the best year. .and it's faster than the newer year models. . .
Old 03-07-2008 | 11:00 AM
blazefast

I agree with most of the statements here.

That guy was obviously trying to stir up trouble.

I have a buddy with an STi and, while I do respect the car immensely, I'd never buy one as my only car. The motor is easy to mod and make fast, and the AWD is super nice in the rain/snow/offroad/etc. However, as others have said, the car is just NOT a sports car -- it's a sedan with more power and different styling, and you can feel that when you're driving it (chassis wobble / body roll)
The Z on the other hand is a true sports car with the classic 2-door, 2-seater, front engine, RWD setup. The car feels solid and absolutely planted to the road at any speed.

As far as looks, the STi has something.. a certain je ne sais quoi if you will, which I like. However, take off all the racer styling, and you're left with some of the most BORING lines I've ever seen on the road. The Z on the other hand -- gorgeous at almost any angle. Aesthetically speaking, I hate most cars on the road today, but the Z had me at first sight. Truly a magnificent looking design (especially 06+).

It's all a matter of what the owner wants really, but for me, the choice was clear -- timeless looks, good power, and excellent overall performance for a price that couldn't be beat!

Quick Reply: STi owner asked did I buy the 350Z just for its looks?