Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

opinions please, Issue with my 2007 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions please, Issue with my 2007 Z

I will try to keep this as short as possible.

for referance, there is a thread regarding my issue in the HR section of the Engine/drivetrain section. It's called "sputtering durring warmup"

Ok, so ever since last summer every time I drive my car durring a cold start, the car will drive PERFECTLY fine for about the first 5 minutes. Then all of a sudden(normally after i've been sitting at a stoplight) the car will start to "sputter". By this I mean that as i accelerate in 1st,2nd, and 3rd gear between 1500-2200 RPM's the car starts to jerk in a pulsing fashion as if the car's fuel system was cutting out or another way to describe it would be to say that i'm gently tapping on the gas pedal in a rythmic beat. The problem only occurs for maybe up to 30 seconds or after a few stop and go's from redlights. Then the car starts driving normal again. You can audibly hear the car sound slightly different too.

This problem happens EVERY morning as i leave for work, go somewhere on my lunch break, and as i leave going home from work Monday through Friday and on cold various starts throughout the weekend. So basically my point is EVERY cold start the problem is sure to come.

I've been trying to figure out what the problem is with my somewhat local(about 30 miles one way drive) trusted dealer and Nissan Consumer Affairs, and after a few times of bringing the car in, they cannot even recognize the problem. The dealer has kept my vehicle over night a few times and everytime they drive it, they say they cannot find the problem i'm talking about. They have basically claimed that it must be my driving style that's causing the problem. I trust this dealership with their opinion as do alot of other people since this specific dealership is a huge sponsor on this website, however I find it hard to believe my driving style is the issue.

I have been driving manual cars ever since i was 14 including tractors on farms. Not to mention, I can drive my car perfectly fine for the first 5 minutes, and after the problem happens so i refuse to believe it's my driving style.

Nissan Consumer Affairs said that i can consult a second dealership if I'd like in which i'm probably going to do as soon as I can make some more time. However, does anyone think I should get an attorny involved at all?

I'm just so frustrated of spending my only day off during the week to driving through a couple hours of traffic in Southern California traffic with no resolution and basically being told that i'm causing my own problem...

anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Also, basic things like trying to change oil, fuel types have all been done. As of now, I do not have any mods on my car.

sorry for the long read and thanks for the opinions,
mike
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

drop the car off at the dealership, go in the next morning, have a service guy in the passenger seat. duplicate the problem for them. the end.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 PM
blazed54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
drop the car off at the dealership, go in the next morning, have a service guy in the passenger seat. duplicate the problem for them. the end.
+1 you drive it with a technician next to you and point out exactly when the problem occurs. It could be something extremely subtle that you are more sensitive to and others might not notice. gl resolving the problem, i'm still enjoying every minute of my Z haha and get the clutch recall done. it's very worth it.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
I couldn't have said it any better. The ball is in your court as far as proving that there is a problem. Don't rely on the dealership to diagnose the issue.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go hang out at westco all day on a saturday and let your car sit there long enough to get 'cold'.. by mid-afternoon you should be able to replicate the issue, no? and there's always plenty of entertainment there
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Kinraze

I have a 2007 and I can verify that what you are describing is not normal. I had some bearings going out in a dakota I once owned, but it would only be duplicated at certain times. I did what everyone is telling you to do, which is duplicate it for them. I drove to the dealership, and left my truck running and Had a tech come out and verify the humming noise of the bad bearings so they new it was there and confirmed it to me.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
hardrock905

You would probably be better off getting an opinion from a certified nissan tech, don't ya think?
Just my .02
Old 03-13-2008, 04:11 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by onedirtyz
go hang out at westco all day on a saturday and let your car sit there long enough to get 'cold'.. by mid-afternoon you should be able to replicate the issue, no? and there's always plenty of entertainment there

I just might have to do that. lol, man that's ganna be a long day.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
stylett9

Originally Posted by hardrock905
You would probably be better off getting an opinion from a certified nissan tech, don't ya think?
Just my .02

Well so far, a certified nissan tech already determined i don't know how to drive my car.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the temperature?
Are you attempting to accelerate when the motor is cold?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
red on black

hey another farmer on this site sweet shizit
Old 03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
nramsey

I've noticed mine do this a few times, but I've had other cars do it as well. Happens to me in a tall gear, like 4th or so, at low revs when barely touching the gas. If I give it a bit more gas it goes away. Never bothered me really as it is really minor and goes away as soon as the car warms up after a few minutes. Sounds like maybe yours is more serious. I +1 the "show the tech" probably the only way to get it solved. If you can't reproduce it on command don't even bother bringing it in to the dealer as they'll just tell you "unable to reproduce".