Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

best way to do 0-60 times?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 AM
theaxe1149

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes but can it give RT?
how does it know how far 60' is time wise?
can it record multiple runs for comparison?
can u download to excel for charting improvement?

i have a diagnostic tool not a stopwatch.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

So how did you do at the dragstrip?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I <3 david
Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 PM
rocdok

This may be slighly off the last comments, cause I only read the first page:

I agree 0-60 times are 'magazine racers', but it still gives an approximation. In my life, I'm likely to redline from 0-60, and my brain understands that. Even though I've been on the track a few times, I've never done the quarter mile, and even though I know what a fast quarter is, it isn't as familliar.

Regarding making it faster.....here's one idea I wrote down from elsewhere to beef up the 0-60...a lighter flywheel would help too....and good tires...

Rear gear stuff
when your car is in motion....

the tires are turning, which causes the "rear end gears" to be in motion as well. The ratio of those gears determines what RPM your motor will be turning at a given speed at a given transmission gear.

The lower the "rear end gear" number... the greater the "theoretical" top speed of your car would be...

stock 350z rear end gears are 3.63... or 3.61 i believe... sigh its been a while... I'm 99% sure that's the right number...

That number is what makes your motor do 3k rpm at 80mph on the highway... in 6th gear...

3.63/1 gears an "ok" set of gears for a performance car.... its a safe set up to where the 350z gets 29MP gallon on the highway and Still is able to pull 1 g force on a launch with a grand worth of suspension upgrades...

For you to put 3.9 gears in your car you car's top speed would go down... but your off the line acceleration would be SIGNIFICANTLY increased.. You would have to shift sooner as well because the RPM would climb faster as your "rear-end" gears are larger...

If you want a more scientific explanation check this out.

a calculator for tire size vs final gear ratios.... changing the size of your tire can have an effect on your gear ratios... if that ain't a mind bender lol!

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/tiresize.htm#ustires

and Anyone's friend... how stuff works website...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio1.htm

keep in mind that the gear thing that i just tried to explain has nothing to do with your transmissions gears....

changing your "rear end" gears is exactly that.... you look at the rear end differential when you are behind a car/truck that is Rear wheel drive...

these are the gears inside the housing directly between your rear wheels...

here is another link....

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...;ei=ISO-8859-1

GOWD thats a hell of a link! lol 8 lines!

well i was going to explain the 3.9 FD but wikipedia(another guy) beat me to it..

basically what he said..shorter gears for better acceleration. the stock manual is 3.5 (that's what the auto guys use to shorten their 3.3..).

the top speed of the Z is governed to 155 mph. some people (with a reflash) have gone up to 175+. with the 3.9FD you can still reach the governed 155 mph but i hear people who have taken the speed limit out have only gone 165-ish top...but hey, how many times are you blazing down 150??

i basically brought up the final drive because it will help your acceleration waaaaaaaay better than any exhaust. period. and for around the same price. some guys have shaved more than .5 seconds in the 1/4. that's FAST!

unfortunately you gas mileage will suffer a bit...expect to take a 15-20% hit on mileage.

with minor bolt ons and a 3.9 FD you'll be crawling by E46 M3s!!! ...well...you need to be a decent driver too.

west covina nissan is 5 minutes form the 605/10 freeway in los angeles. they are by far the best nissan dealership in california.

it's one of those great core mods...gone are the days of intake and exhaust that do little for modern cars. the Z's core mods are cams, headers, cats, plenum (or + mrev2 depending on year), FD, fly, clutch, and tune. these are the steak and potatoes for modding a light N/A 350Z.

intake and exhaust are just the complementary mints.

Originally posted by rocdok:
My question then is, realiziing it may be apples and oranges, how does it compare in quarter mile results to say FI?

it doesn't compare. not by a long shot. there is no substitute for F/I. moderate N/A mods with the 3.9 you can shave .5 to .6 off your time....a good F/I set up will see you at 1-1.1 seconds off ...that's bus lengths...

Quote:

Originally posted by rocdok:
PS, i want the exhaust for sound more than anything.....

it does sound cool. but you'll want more in 3 months and hoped you would have gotten something that would have kicked you in the butt when you stomped on the accelerator....since you are going to mod lightly might as well put the $ in "go-fast" stuff. unless "the boss" okays you for a fly, exhaust, and FD set up.

If your serious about getting the FD gears for your rear end your Really gonna want to think about getting wider tires on the rear and buy some street legal "slicks" (not really slicks)

With those gears on stock tires with stock width your going to NOT be able to launch so well... you'll end up pealing rubber at the McD's drive through not even meaning to...

The difference in the amount of torque on your rubber with those gears will be a LOT....

all im saying is that to do it "right" you cant just slap the gears in there and pull of a .5 drop in your quarter... YOU have to do a wheel and tire upgrade toooooooo.

Last edited by rocdok; 06-25-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 PM
2fast4comfort

seriously your gonna post a book with out even reading the whole thread?

and what is/ how do you preload the drive train? i have heard it said a bunch of times but don't drag so i have no idea what it is
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
rocdok

Originally Posted by 2fast4comfort
seriously your gonna post a book with out even reading the whole thread?

and what is/ how do you preload the drive train? i have heard it said a bunch of times but don't drag so i have no idea what it is
Yeah, sorry, I'm new to this site so I forgot to look for the numbers on the side. Just tryin to help....please shoot me...LOL
I'm just quotin what I learned before, but can't elaborate...sorry...
Old 08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Did you make it to the dragstrip?
How did you do?
Guess not.