Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Hydroplaned my 350z, I was very lucky!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
d!abolic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok, but take the ticket to court. That's fn bs!!

P.S. Can't believe you actually paid the guy $180. I woulda offered $75 and politely asked him to go fk himself if he doesn't think that's enough. I paid $90 to have the car towed for about 15-20 mins a few weeks ago.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Z and the ticket but the law states that you should be under the posted speed limit if the conditions are bad. I never drive at 70 mph during the rain.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
Sorry to hear about your Z and the ticket but the law states that you should be under the posted speed limit if the conditions are bad. I never drive at 70 mph during the rain.
+1 don't speed when its raining, it's not worth it at all
Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM
PrevWon

Glad your okay.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! A Chelsea fan!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 PM
GSX-R350Z

just glad you arent hurt man...hope everything's okay with your car...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:11 AM
SA Z-boi

aahah padre I was going to go down there on thursday but I would never drive my z down there. I drove my truck down there last year but it didnt rain on the way. You are very lucky that you car only had grass and mud on it and that you walked away from it.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM
toy4two

that ticket will get thrown out in court so fast it will make the troopers head spin, tell you the truth, the guy won't even bother showing up in court it would just be a waste of his time.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 PM
mangoman4u

[QUOTE=Ianmtx]Well the title pretty much explains what happened, let me give you guys a little more specifics.

Yeah, that sucks. However, I did hydroplane my 03 touring on a moist (rained lightly 1 hr prior) road at 45 mph ; thought it would be cool to drop from 5th and pop the clutch in 4th. 45 mph ! Did the Paul Walker spinout and everything. Anyway glad you are O.K. and like me, lesson learned.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:49 AM
maxpowers

Glad to hear you are OK. You should be able to fight the ticket. They have no evidence to present at the hearing....and that usually results in dropping the case (if they cited you for reckless driving it may be a different story).

Chalk this up to an unfortunate set of circumstances and consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gotta love all these jailhouse lawyers 'round here. lol Any time you have a single car accident you are liable to get a ticket for excessive speed for conditions. Makes sense, too, since if you were doing 50 instead of 70, it probably would not have happened. I had the same thing happen on fairly bald tires back in November, but VDC saved my azz from going off the road, and I didn't touch the brakes. I'm thinking the OP should just be grateful he didn't tear up the car, pay the ticket, and be more careful in the future.
And ditto on the towing - my first year at ZDayZ I spun off the road and a local with a 4WD pickup hauled me back onto the road. Wouldn't take a nickel from me either. Nice people down south!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:29 PM
dtm255

Originally Posted by kaizenro1
AAA, Gold member. Like $65 a year and first 100 miles of tow is free.
Los Angeles area has free towing service to the next exit. They provide the free service so accidents won't cause traffic jam.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM
dtm255

Originally Posted by y_b_lamron
I've seen cars lose control in the rain going much slower than 70 and a lot more damage was done.

I understand that the OP told us he was going 70 but IMO it was wrong for the cop to issue a ticket. He has NO idea how fast he was going.
I agree. It's like pouring salt on wound. The patrol's an A$$HOL3.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
dtm255

Originally Posted by Motero
No, thats actually the reason why you crashed. The reason people crash once they start hydroplaning is because they either give it gas or press the brakes. With the CC on, the CC most likely gave it gas...
I too almost had an accident when my car start hydroplaning. I was driving in heavy rain passing by between a tow truck and a large truck. I sped up to pass by them and my car started to sway to the left. I let go of the gas a little and didn't brake. I thought I would lose control, but then my car started to turn straight. I felt really lucky I didn't crash my Z. If I've lost control the tow truck to my left might have ran directly into my.

I guess Z's rare wheel drive may have heled the car steered itself back straight. It probably helped too by not stepping on the brake. From driving in rain a few times, I realize I really need to be careful driving in the rain.

Im glad that your Z had no major damage and you are okay.

Last edited by dtm255; 03-28-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Shawn07z

Last year on my 19th Bday I was on my way to college and it was raining all day. I was driving a 98 camaro then. After a stop light I swapped lanes to pass the 18 wheeler that just pulled in front of me. When I swapped lanes going about 40 mph I started hydroplaning. I went about 150 feet swerving all over my lane, ofc I didn't touch the gas or brake. I looked in my rear view mirror and all the cars were waaay back there . I'm still very happy I didn't wreck, would've been a bad bday .

Glad you and the Z are okay, you must have a very forgiving median :P. That ticket is complete BS. Let us know the outcome.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 AM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As soon as I saw the 'hydroplaned' in the title, I knew you had the PIECE OF SHlT Nittos.

Glad you're unharmed.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM
skylin3R33

Originally Posted by Ianmtx
Well the title pretty much explains what happened, let me give you guys a little more specifics.

I'm traveling to South Padre on I-37 with my cruise control set to the speed limit, 70mph. It's raining and I'm in the left hand lane. All of the sudden, I hit this huge puddle of water and my rear end is sliding to the right, and my car is heading right for the median. Well at this point, I'm thinking to myself, "FUUUUUUUUUUCKKK!" I applied the brake a bit and kept the steering wheel facing forward. The only thing that was going through my mind was, "as soon as I start sliding over the ground, my car is going to start flipping and I'm toast." Here I am spinning around flying off the highway onto the median, and luckily for me it was so muddy that I was sliding instead of flipping.

I finally come to a stop in the middle of the median, with steam coming out from under my hood thanking God I'm not hurt. At this point the rain is coming down. I get out of the car, take a look around the car, and to my surprise, it doesn't really look damaged, except for the fact that the rear wheels are covered in grass and mud. So at this point, I'm calling the cops to let them know that I've gone off the road and that I'm okay, and they tell me that someone already called it in.

There must've been a lot of wrecks because about 3 different cops drove by, asked if I was okay, and then said they had to go to another wreck. Through all this, I'm just thinking, "All I need is a damn tow truck."

One of the local cops comes back, says a tow truck is on the way. I'm standing there talking with him and this guy's pretty cool. He tells me, "look, I don't know if you were speeding or not, and I'm not going to write you a ticket, but the state trooper over there probably will because they're usually dicks."

So like the local cop said, the cop begins to write me a ticket for reckless speed while giving me a lecture about how he's "seen a lot of these accidents and you were probably going 85 or 90." And in my mind I just want to say, "f*ck you, I was going the speed limit" but I don't say anything. He says, "even if the speed limit is 70, if you have to slow down to 45 to be safe then you have to slow down to 45." I'm thinking, "WTF it's not my fault the highway was improperly designed for drainage and has a huge *** puddle in it."

As if the ticket isn't bad enough, the damn tow truck charges me $180 to pull my car 20 feet in like 4 minutes. Needless to say, this spring break got off to a pretty damn bad start.

Here's some pics, sorry they're not very good, my buddy didn't want to run across the highway to get closer.

I slid about 200 feet. If I would've hit that puddle just one or two seconds later than I did, I would be wrapped around a nearby bridge support beam. I feel very lucky. When I got to the gas station I bought a lotto ticket, but I didn't win lol.

Right after I wrecked:

After I got pulled out by the Tow Truck:

My car covered in grass at a gas station:

300 bucks versus being dead or a cripple. I say you made out alright.