Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Motortrend's April Z long term review comments on the mark?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 09:34 AM
cwerdna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motortrend's April Z long term review comments on the mark?

Since I don't have a Z yet, I was wondering if your experiences out w/your Z are similar to what Motortrend mentioned in their April long term review update? I'm especially curious about the "hotel keys from mysterious women part." Here's an excerpt:

'If you've ever considred purchasing one of Nissan's nifty new 350Zs, we offer the following disclaimer. Upon exiting the dealers' lot, prepare to be mobbed, quizzed, gawked at, receive copious quantities of thumbs up, endure 20-plus minute-fuel fill ups, and receive hotel keys from mysterious women (we did say "prepare"). We can't recall a One-Year Test fleeter that's generated more interest, and we're enjoying the driving experience it offers...

Associate Editor Vance reports that he's already "sold" a 350. "I showed our Z to my dcotor, and he bought one three days later. He never sat in one, nor did he drive it. I think I'm owed a sales commission."'

Last edited by cwerdna; 07-01-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:42 AM
zpeed350

Default Re: Motortrend's April Z long term review comments on the mark?

Originally posted by cwerdna
Upon exiting the dealers' lot, prepare to be mobbed, quizzed, gawked at, receive copious quantities of thumbs up, endure 20-plus minute-fuel fill ups, and receive hotel keys from mysterious women (we did say "prepare"). We can't recall a One-Year Test fleeter that's generated more interest, and we're enjoying the driving experience it offers...."'
It's all 100% true!!!! No joke, I love the car. I have quite a few stories. I will read the article though and see what esle they say.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:47 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thought they were a little nice to the car to be honest... they said ride was stiff, but then said it was a sports car and thats how it should be. ok I guess... but I dont think its there job to make excuses for nissan.

the other was some sort of low speed gear noise? I donno what they were talking about here, but the dealer sounded like an idiot with the standard "its normal". ya moron, its a frickin national magazine, and you should know there are some tranny concerns, shoulda had that ***** replaced on the spot.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Sanderman

It's true. I get more compliments on this car than I ever did on my two 300 twin turbos or old 944 back in it's day. I've had people follow me into parking lots park by me and strike up conversations about how cool the car looks. People routinely approach me at gas stations and at restaurants just to ask questions and offer compliments. The same has happened at stop lights too. Men, women, young, middle aged and folks in their late 50s, it doesnt matter. Thumbs ups form kids in other cars and on the sidewalk. I've never been in car that attracts so much positive attention...

joe
Old 07-01-2003, 03:43 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Interesting. It hasn't been my experience that the car has attracted THAT much attention. A few folks have asked about it, but nothing beyond that.

I'm still waiting for those mysterious women to offer their keys...
Old 07-01-2003, 06:48 PM
cheeves

Almost to the point of embarrasing....NOT!
Old 07-01-2003, 07:11 PM
zeroday

I had two 21-23 yr old girls literally hanging out their car windows SCREAMING and whistling at me while in my z just a few days ago...honestly it's par for the course with this car...it gets TONS of looks....it almost gets annoying at times.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:24 PM
SkyMan

Originally posted by ares

the other was some sort of low speed gear noise? I donno what they were talking about here, but the dealer sounded like an idiot with the standard "its normal". ya moron, its a frickin national magazine, and you should know there are some tranny concerns, shoulda had that ***** replaced on the spot.
that cracks me up but ya, what colour were they driving? ppl stare at my car all the time, but maybe cause its lemans? ah well i like it that way.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:46 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also had lots of looks.

Just yesterday, a dude parked next to me and asked what I thought of the car, blah, blah, blah. Then, as he left he said he had parked there just to check out the car and when he saw I was sitting in it decided to chat. The looks have definitely calmed down a bit from when I first got the car, but I still get them every once in a while.

It must be the driver...

Also, I think it is normal for the tranny to have a bit of a whine, but it shouldn't be grinding much (although mine does when going into second when cold).

Finally, I don't think they were making excuses about the ride, but simply letting people know what to expect. I really like the feel of being connected to the road, although the bounce on some of the cement highways around here can get annoying. On back roads though - where you get to feel all the little bumps, the tar strips, even the paint at crosswalks - the ride is awesome since you feel like you know exactly what the car is doing. I don't mind it at all.

My only issues have been some rattles (that I am gradually tracking down and fixing) and some play in the driver's seat.

-D'oh!
Old 07-01-2003, 08:46 PM
ChadO

My DB Z attracts insane amounts of attention. Everyone really seems to like the color.

As others have said, it's positive attention, not negative. People ask me about it in a genuinely interested way, and not in a "what kind of pos needs to buy a sports car?" way.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:25 AM
BigBadBuford

When I first got my Z I received TONS of attention, but that was back in September when nobody had Z's yet. For a while it seemed to die down, I would still get looks but nobody would really comment on the car. This past week it has been like I first bought the car, when I was at the track everyone was staring at me and asking me how the car was running. I filled it up with gas the next day and the attendant came out to compliment the car. Then on my way home from work I was following this truck and when we came to a stop sign the guy got out and came back to my car and said, "Man, your car is f'in bad ***!!"
All the attention you get in the Z is a cool aspect of owning the car, it really makes you feel like you are driving something special.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 07-02-2003 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:02 AM
toykilla

they day i had a 5 yr old kid look stunned as i drove by is the day i knew i had a sweet ride

BUT...back on topic.. i think they should have mentioned the crappy paint job. But they did mention just getting over break in period..but still i am only at 5k miles and my bumber looks 3-4 years old..im so pissed about that.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:52 AM
stonesfan

Cool

Tons of attention is right! I've actually had people walk up my driveway and peer into my garage when the door is open and the Z is parked inside.
I'm not sure what everyone means by a bad paint job. I recenlty had my car professionally detailed and the owner of the shop was complimenting the paint job saying how it's one of the best he's ever seen. Of course, I have a brickyard so maybe that's it....hehehe :-)
Old 07-02-2003, 07:08 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Yup. I still gets all kinds of attention in the Z. People asking questions, stares as I fly by on the highway, gas station attendants coming out and asking about it.

But for some stupid reason, the first question out of almost every guy's mouth is, "Is that your husband's car?" WTF??? Of course, every time, it's been pretty easy to make those buttheads bite their tongue--haven't met a stranger yet than knew more about the car than me. Had a guy try that with me when I had my Z dynoed--by the time I was done setting him straight, I had all the guys in the shop laughing at him for being a dumbass!
Old 07-02-2003, 07:13 AM
NeoZ

It has been my experience that most of the things mentioned form the excerpt have happened to me. People will stop me when I'm headed to my car to ask me about it and I can remember that last time I filled up the tank without someone asking me repeated questions about the car. Also, I've noticed quite a few people just staring at it on the road. That makes everything....except for the hotel keys Oh well I'll guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for that.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:42 AM
zpeed350

Originally posted by NeoZ
...except for the hotel keys Oh well I'll guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for that.
haha, I hear ya! It just mean being in the right place at the right time. The fun part is knowing it "can" happen. Till then, just keep grinnin'
Old 07-02-2003, 07:03 PM
toykilla

finally got my 5%tint on so they cant stare at me .. only the car
Old 07-03-2003, 04:04 AM
Zmoney

Originally posted by toykilla
they day i had a 5 yr old kid look stunned as i drove by is the day i knew i had a sweet ride

BUT...back on topic.. i think they should have mentioned the crappy paint job. But they did mention just getting over break in period..but still i am only at 5k miles and my bumber looks 3-4 years old..im so pissed about that.
I am with you on the paint statement, got 6k miles and I feel like my car (front bumper)is beat up.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:12 AM
stonesfan

I don't understand this paint thing. I've got 5,642 miles and my car looks great. I also have a 1996 Nissan and the paint job on that still looks almost new. I've been driving Nissans all my life and have never had a problem with the paint on any Nissan. A car detailing shop even commented on how great the paint job on the Z is. I would think that if you have a new car and the bumper looks like it's old already that they would repaint it for you.
If not, then you should call Nissan headquarters and start complaining and demand that they repaint it. Maybe you've already gone that route......but just a suggestion.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:46 AM
cwerdna

Default Maxima paint

Originally posted by stonesfan
I don't understand this paint thing. I've got 5,642 miles and my car looks great. I also have a 1996 Nissan and the paint job on that still looks almost new. I've been driving Nissans all my life and have never had a problem with the paint on any Nissan. A car detailing shop even commented on how great the paint job on the Z is. I would think that if you have a new car and the bumper looks like it's old already that they would repaint it for you.
If not, then you should call Nissan headquarters and start complaining and demand that they repaint it. Maybe you've already gone that route......but just a suggestion.
I can't speak for the Z, but on the 5th gen Maximas, has chipped VERY easily for many owenrs including myself. My 2K2 Maxima had 7 or 8 chips on the front of the hood by the time I hit 2300 miles. I ended up getting a clear bra. I still get a few chips where the clear bra doesn't cover.

Basically, in <10K miles, my Max had more chips than my old 91 Camry V6 which had 91.5K miles. No, I didn't change my driving habits or where I drive either.

Most everyone says it started w/5th gen Maxes (2000 model year) and NEVER was a problem on older Maxes. This problem is constantly discussed on maxima.org and it's not that simple wrt to demanding they repaint your car. There's even this domain now to register your complaint http://www.nissanpaint.com/.

Quick Reply: Motortrend's April Z long term review comments on the mark?