Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
raulzito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whatever Guys, everybody knows that 220 car is way better that 306 hp car! drrr!@ Besides the Rx8 has that badass third door!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
tribal_visionz

is this really a thread? the viper in "wanted" was a closer match to the hauling truck.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
RX8Guy

Interesting thread, I'm from the RX world and we get the same type of threads there with the 350z being the overweight pig, POS, blah, blah, blah. But like your group their are those who know cars and can appreciate both so to them let me give a view from the other side.

I was looking at 350z, WRX, s2000, and the RX. I selected the RX because I wanted a Sports car that I could use as a practical daily driver (AKA truck and rear seats.) Here are my observation (I'll try to be neutral but I did pick the RX so I am bias.)

Reliability: My car has been problem free for the last 3 years. The RX-8 like the 350Z had teething issues the first model year that still haunted it to this day. There was an issue with insufficient oil injection to the combustion chamber which caused a number of engine failures. This hit predominately the 04s and has since been corrected. Mazda backed it up by increasing the engine warranty to 8yrs/100K miles. What's the Z's engine warranty? An interesting store on the rotory's reliability is after it won Le mans the engine was ripped down and discovered that ware was so minimal that a rebuild was unnecessary. There is a rotary engine race division that runs only rotaries because they will run several times longer then a piston engine with out need of a rebuild. This is a strong engine when lubricated properly.

Burning oil: Yup it will eat 1 qt. every 1000 to 2000 miles by design. The combustion chamber and its seals are isolated from the oil sump and the only way to oil the seals is to inject oil into the combustion chamber. This is why the engine burns oil. There is a low oil warning light in every RX.

Flooding: The rotary, even new ones can flood because of their design. In a piston engine when you flood the engine the gas will leak out of the combustion chamber into the oil pan and the car will eventually start. Because the rotors are sealed in a separate chamber the gas has no where to drain off and stays in the combustion chamber preventing a good apex seal which kills compression and keeps the car from starting. This issues is very rare now with the switch to a better engine management and faster spinning starter(better apex seal through centrifugal force).

Whats better in the RX-8:
- Handling (The 350z is good but the RX is better, the 350 will ware you out while the RX's lighter weight and better balance produce a more nimble car)
- Ride (The ride is far better then the Z, especially on rough rodes)
- Weight (the Rx is 300 to 400lbs lighter then the Z and the Has 2 less seats and a little truck, very good engineering on Mazda's behalf)
- 4 Seats (Those extra seats really come in handy and make the car far more livable on a daily bases)
- Storage (The truck on the RX is great compared to the Z. Holds much more with out a large bar running through it.)
- Interior (Most would agree that the RX is better but this can be subjective)
- Insurance (Much less to insure, but is balanced out by increased gas cost)

What's better in the 350z:
- Power/Torque (Any RX driver who says he wouldn't kill for the Z's power is a liar)
- MPG (The RX is 2 to 4 MPG worst then the Z and it hurts)
- Better resale value (But the RX is cheaper to buy up front...)

Toss up:
Looks - Up to the individual but what's up with those giant door handles???
Brakes - Both are very good.

So for me it was an easy choice dispite the fact that I like the Z. The RX is pretty close in speed and the fact remains that a STi would laugh at both cars.

As pointed out the RX dominates in Auto cross but on the Track the Z's power takes the day.

Now this is of course my opinion as an RX owner but I will throw in that I know of 3 major magazines which compared these two cars and each one of them selected the RX as the superior car. Take it for what it is worth, both cars are very nice and I guess it depends on what you want as to which is best for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM
SupaDoopa

Originally Posted by raulzito
whatever Guys, everybody knows that 220 car is way better that 306 hp car! drrr!@ Besides the Rx8 has that badass third door!!!

...It has 4.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
memphis350z

a good friend of mine has a tuned rx8 and yes it burns oil and allthe other lil quirks but it is a good car and quick for a practical daily driver...that said, my tuned z absolutly rapes it in just about every performance aspect..i will say the only thing i do like about it is its set up very nuetral and i can drift it just a bit easier then my Z( and no..im not talking about gay a$$ doughnuts in kmart parking lot, im talking real drifting on the twisties at night lol...)
Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by RX8Guy
Interesting thread, I'm from the RX world and we get the same type of threads there with the 350z being the overweight pig, POS, blah, blah, blah. But like your group their are those who know cars and can appreciate both so to them let me give a view from the other side.

I was looking at 350z, WRX, s2000, and the RX. I selected the RX because I wanted a Sports car that I could use as a practical daily driver (AKA truck and rear seats.) Here are my observation (I'll try to be neutral but I did pick the RX so I am bias.)

Reliability: My car has been problem free for the last 3 years. The RX-8 like the 350Z had teething issues the first model year that still haunted it to this day. There was an issue with insufficient oil injection to the combustion chamber which caused a number of engine failures. This hit predominately the 04s and has since been corrected. Mazda backed it up by increasing the engine warranty to 8yrs/100K miles. What's the Z's engine warranty? An interesting store on the rotory's reliability is after it won Le mans the engine was ripped down and discovered that ware was so minimal that a rebuild was unnecessary. There is a rotary engine race division that runs only rotaries because they will run several times longer then a piston engine with out need of a rebuild. This is a strong engine when lubricated properly.

Burning oil: Yup it will eat 1 qt. every 1000 to 2000 miles by design. The combustion chamber and its seals are isolated from the oil sump and the only way to oil the seals is to inject oil into the combustion chamber. This is why the engine burns oil. There is a low oil warning light in every RX.

Flooding: The rotary, even new ones can flood because of their design. In a piston engine when you flood the engine the gas will leak out of the combustion chamber into the oil pan and the car will eventually start. Because the rotors are sealed in a separate chamber the gas has no where to drain off and stays in the combustion chamber preventing a good apex seal which kills compression and keeps the car from starting. This issues is very rare now with the switch to a better engine management and faster spinning starter(better apex seal through centrifugal force).

- Handling (The 350z is good but the RX is better, the 350 will ware you out while the RX's lighter weight and better balance produce a more nimble car)
- Weight (the Rx is 300 to 400lbs lighter then the Z and the Has 2 less seats and a little truck, very good engineering on Mazda's behalf)
- 4 Seats (Those extra seats really come in handy and make the car far more livable on a daily bases)
- Storage (The truck on the RX is great compared to the Z. Holds much more with out a large bar running through it.)

- Power/Torque (Any RX driver who says he wouldn't kill for the Z's power is a liar)

Toss up:
Looks - Up to the individual but what's up with those giant door handles???
Brakes - Both are very good.

So for me it was an easy choice dispite the fact that I like the Z. The RX is pretty close in speed and the fact remains that a STi would laugh at both cars.

As pointed out the RX dominates in Auto cross but on the Track the Z's power takes the day.

Now this is of course my opinion as an RX owner but I will throw in that I know of 3 major magazines which compared these two cars and each one of them selected the RX as the superior car. Take it for what it is worth, both cars are very nice and I guess it depends on what you want as to which is best for you.
Good post... thanks for sharing your views. I have a friend who has an RX-8 and he loves it, only thing he dislikes is the lack of torque. He might be putting a supercharger on it soon, which should be an interesting sound mixed with his loud-*** SRI. Every time I see the car though I like how it looks more and more. First, its kinda funky and weird, but it grows on you.

I've had the pleasure of driving it a few times... and its really weird. Clutch is really stiff (not just heavy, but stiff) and its very hard to shift smoothly. Personally I found the seating position a bit too high and there wasn't enough bolster in the sides. The seats on my Z allow me to sit low and the side bolsters hold me in nicely around the twisties. I don't have to fight back by twisting my back and planting my legs, the seats keep me planted.

I gotta say I really like the interior on the RX-8... but I really like the Z's too... RX-8's is probably a bit better quality, not nearly as 'plasticy'.

I RX-8 isn't that slow once you get into the revs, most of the problem is people don't launch properly so they don't get enough speed off the line. Not a problem in the Z with all the torque. I hate how everyone rates a cars accelleratory power based on 0-60 times, because about 75% of that time is dependent upon how well the car launches off the line.

The Z may be pretty heavy but it holds its weight very well. It's like that cute girl who is a bit chunky, but its all evenly proportioned and she still has a cute face. It's still a fun ride,
Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
aloh

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

honestly...the Z isnt really THAT heavy. ~3300 lbs isnt astronomical...

i think the s2k and rx8 crowd think the Z is because comparatively, its heavy. However, thats why the Z has a larger motor with more power and torque.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
gregom

Originally Posted by aloh
honestly...the Z isnt really THAT heavy. ~3300 lbs isnt astronomical...

i think the s2k and rx8 crowd think the Z is because comparatively, its heavy. However, thats why the Z has a larger motor with more power and torque.
Yeah but it does affect the "chuckability" of the car into corners. You feel a lot more confident when throwing a light weight car into a corner and recovering than you do a heavy one. But the stiff suspension and sticky rubber definatly help.

Plus the Z is one of the few sports cars I can actually fit in comfortably. The Corvette is my next car of choice, but a lot of that has to do with that V8 and awesome gear ratios on the 6 speed manual.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:23 PM
WhiteNoiz

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL at thinking a 3200 lbs car is heavy. Stock for stock you cannot compare the two cars. The Z stock runs the 1/4 at 13.1, thats M3 terriroty. I can't think of any way besides major FI to get the mazda anywhere near that time. LOL and a Z will hand an STi its lunch on every acceleration run except for off the line. Don't kid yourself, you cannot compare the two in a straight line. lol, only reason you feel that the car can out handle the Z is because your going so slowly into the corner. I kid I kid. I have a set of coilovers on my Z and it handles like its on rails. I still don't see why there is an argument about these two cars. Just because they are both RWD japanese cars does not make them in the same class. The Z is a pure sports car. The RX-8 is a sporty tech sedan (it has four doors right?).
Old 08-13-2008, 07:45 AM
RX8Guy

Originally Posted by gregom
Good post... thanks for sharing your views. I have a friend who has an RX-8 and he loves it, only thing he dislikes is the lack of torque. He might be putting a supercharger on it soon, which should be an interesting sound mixed with his loud-*** SRI. Every time I see the car though I like how it looks more and more. First, its kinda funky and weird, but it grows on you.

I've had the pleasure of driving it a few times... and its really weird. Clutch is really stiff (not just heavy, but stiff) and its very hard to shift smoothly. Personally I found the seating position a bit too high and there wasn't enough bolster in the sides. The seats on my Z allow me to sit low and the side bolsters hold me in nicely around the twisties. I don't have to fight back by twisting my back and planting my legs, the seats keep me planted.

I gotta say I really like the interior on the RX-8... but I really like the Z's too... RX-8's is probably a bit better quality, not nearly as 'plasticy'.

I RX-8 isn't that slow once you get into the revs, most of the problem is people don't launch properly so they don't get enough speed off the line. Not a problem in the Z with all the torque. I hate how everyone rates a cars accelleratory power based on 0-60 times, because about 75% of that time is dependent upon how well the car launches off the line.

The Z may be pretty heavy but it holds its weight very well. It's like that cute girl who is a bit chunky, but its all evenly proportioned and she still has a cute face. It's still a fun ride,
You are right the lack of torque is a killer, if you catch an RX in low RPMs it doesn't stand a chance. On the other hand I can hang with the Z pretty well if I have the RPMs up but that really starts to eat the gas if done on a regular bases. I've seen slips showing 0-60 in 5.8 secs which is pretty close to the Z and the new 09 are about .2 quicker then that. Of course to get those numbers we are talking about dumping the clutch at +6K RPMs which is not a lot of fun.

I'm looking at a turbo myself down the road, the kits are just starting to mature and are just hitting the 400 whp point, 330 whp are more normal. At that point though the trans needs mods. Tuning is one of the biggest issues and Mazda really locks down there engine management systems which has hampered tuners. The Z's appear to be more Turner friendly from what I have seen.

I'm OK with the seats but have never tracked a Z to test their seats at high speed so I can't comment here.

The Z does handle its weight pretty well but physics does catch up with it those 300 to 400lbs extra lbs translate in to increase load on all aspects of the cars performance which results in a heaver driving car that has a harder time changing its momentum. The RX feels much more in tune with the driver. This can be seen in its domination of Autocross were it's lower power is not an issue.

I will also say that the Z's interior has gotten better with the make over but Nissan is general still needs to do more with their interiors.

Last edited by RX8Guy; 08-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
KManZ
Banned

I really like the RX-8. If it had originally came with about 50 more hp/tq back in 2003, it probably would have been a toss up between me buying a Z or the RX-8. The 8 is nimble, the engine is smooth, just a bit underpowered. And up until the RX-8 owners cleared it up, I was put off by the flooding and oil burning issues. Good to know that Mazda covers the engines for such an extended period of time.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM
marcus_GTS

Another RX-8 owner here.

As RX8guy has stated, there are people on both sides, many who haven't even driven the other car, who are dead set against it. The truth is, they are very different cars. While I've seen some on this forum claim that the Z handles as well as the 8, the autocross results for both cars say differently. On the other hand, the power is just not even comparable. I drove a Z for the first time this past weekend (2006 base model) and was very, very impressed. The torque is phenomenal compared to an RX-8, and that's on a rev-up! I'm definitely going to try to get a drive in an HR, since it apparently has much better low to midrange. When driving "normally", it handled very well, and I honestly couldn't feel the extra weight. However, when really pushing it in a corner, the Z just doesn't have the balance of the 8. This is not something that's obvious to understand, unless you have experienced it. The RX-8 at the limit in a corner can be balanced between oversteer and understeer with only mild throttle inputs. The Z understeers into the corner, and I know that if you give it enough gas it will get the back end out, but that's not balance - that's overcoming the naturally tendency of a car with some good ol' tire spin. Maybe with more seat time I could learn to transfer the weight of the Z better to make it more balanced at the corner entry, but having read similar comments from many others, I do think it is a real (and unfortunate) characteristic of the car.

Having said all that, I am now planning to replace the RX-8 with a Z. I'm holding off until the 370 comes out and some comments start coming in, then I'll decide if I want a 350 or a 370. In the meantime, I'm scouring these forums to see what suspension mods people have done to improve the balance!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I just got back from my stealership, and they was a RX-8 out at the other carlot....it had just pulled up...so I looked to see who was driving and like five people hopped out......

poor car...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by KingBaby
I just got back from my stealership, and they was a RX-8 out at the other carlot....it had just pulled up...so I looked to see who was driving and like five people hopped out......

poor car...

how does it fit 5 people????
Old 08-13-2008, 10:31 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by marcus_GTS
Having said all that, I am now planning to replace the RX-8 with a Z. I'm holding off until the 370 comes out and some comments start coming in, then I'll decide if I want a 350 or a 370. In the meantime, I'm scouring these forums to see what suspension mods people have done to improve the balance!
Simply going to a square setup on the rims/tires will achieve a more balanced setup (stock Z has staggered setup).

BTW, the Z is more at home on a road course than an autocross course. It is a monster on the track, if setup properly. It's weight, along with the lack of stock camber adjustment, are major handicaps in stock class.

Last edited by z-u-later; 08-13-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
RobH_350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my sister has a rx-8 and i drive it all the time. stock for stock it is not even close to a Z although i really do like the interior for some reason...? and is HORRIBLE on gas! but the 2 seats in back come in handy. still glad i got my Z cause i only need one seat for me and the girl going to my bed later...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Faboo

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
LOL at thinking a 3200 lbs car is heavy. Stock for stock you cannot compare the two cars. The Z stock runs the 1/4 at 13.1, thats M3 terriroty.
u ran a 13.1 stock
Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by RX8Guy

Weight: Unless RX8s weigh 2800lbs, the weight difference is about 200lbs. I know the earliest base RX8s dipped just below 3000lbs, but the average RX8 weighs over 3000lbs. 350Z Coupes range between 3150-3250lb in weight (pending on trim).

Handling: It takes practically nothing for a Z to handle like an RX8. The RX8 is a bit tighter, but nothing that a $100 set of Hotchkis don't fix.

Ride: Objective.

Seating: I intentionally bought a 2-seater car. Most of us did. This is simply not something many, if any, of us care about. If we wanted 4 seats, we'd have gotten a G35 coupe or a sedan. Many of us also have secondary cars for that purpose.

Storage: The Z holds enough as is. I've fit luggage, carts of groceries, shopping bag, etc no issues. Unless you take frequent trips to the airport to pick up friends or family, or transport large cargo...this is a non-issue. Again, it's something we consciously choose to live with, we don't see it as a fault.

Interior: No argument there.

Insurance: Negligible difference, was quoted $10 difference every 6 months between RX8 and 350Z last year.

As you can see, I'm not telling you you're wrong - just correcting/informing you here and there.

I personally look for power, agility, and looks out of a sportscar. Everything else is just gravy - that's why I bought a Z. I don't care for cargo space, or rear seats. An interior is important, but thankfully the Zs interior isn't disastrous. My other choices were E46 M3 (too expensive to maintain, insure, mod), and 6.0L GTO (doesn't look special, handle as well).

Last edited by SniperHunter; 08-13-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
marcus_GTS

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Simply going to a square setup on the rims/tires will achieve a more balanced setup (stock Z has staggered setup).

BTW, the Z is more at home on a road course than an autocross course. It is a monster on the track, if setup properly. It's weight, along with the lack of stock camber adjustment, are major handicaps in stock class.
Thanks for the tip. I've read elsewhere about the square setup helping, so it's good to see someone on this board confirm it. I'm hoping that a beefier rear sway bar + the square setup would balance the car properly, but I need to do more research to confirm. Next step would be adjustable A-arms to get the camber adjustability. I'd prefer not to have to touch the springs and shocks, in order to keep some ride comfort. I'm not looking for the ultimate handling (not yet, at least...), I'm just trying to achieve that balanced feeling.

By the way, it's interesting you refer to road courses, since that's actually the main reason I'm looking at this car. I don't do autocross, but I do a fair bit of HPDEs, and the lack of torque/power in the RX is frustrating on those long straights.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8