Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Donsred350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that high price, reliabilities and maintenance problem was the reason they pulled the plug on the 3rd Gen Rx-7 TT. For some reason people don't want to spend $40,000 on a Japanese Sports car, so was the story of the demises of the Z32 price wise.

I will say this that the Rx-7 twin turbo was a feared and respected Sports Car be you in a Porsche, Vette or Z-car! This is not the case of the catch all Rx-8 which though nicely appointed you almost laugh at if they want to race or talk performance unless in the Auto Crossing.

I think the giving RX-8 its due it may have better numbers in Auto X then the faster and sportier Rx-7 on a tight track, any straight away and the Rx-8 drivers choking on dust.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
ed350

Z is much better all around I dont care what anybody said...Love the z better than a porches, bmw, or mercedes Z is the best car of all time..
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
uwitme83

everytime I see an rx-8 it seems like there is a hot girl driving it nuff said,its a chick car..... the Z is a way better sports car,hands down!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I recently had the opportunity to drive/use a Mazda RX-8 (Touring Model) over last weekend for a few hours. I was impressed with the car.

Comparing all features, both cars (350Z and Mazda RX-8) are similar in many ways, but there are significant differences. Here is breakdown:

Interior
  • The Mazda RX-8 has a more attractive and better “finished” interior. The Mazda looks more “rich.” Although the seats are no more comfortable (actually, I thought less comfortable), they had zippers for removing the fabric, and were structured a little better than the Z.
  • The Mazda’s dashboard is more attractive, and I think its layout is better than the Z’s (but, that’s a personal opinion that is very arguable).
  • The background lighting on the Mazda dash is better than the Z (that is not arguable in my opinion). The digital readouts (that parallel the analog display) are larger and more-clear in the Mazda. The Mazda is a lot better here.
  • The back seats in the Mazda are useable and not uncomfortable (even for adults). The rear “suicide” door works well for exit/entry.
  • Oddly, the rear seats in the Mazda are not folding to make additional room. That is probably a compromise making the configuration less expensive. You can fold down a center/rear console that communicates to the trunk for carrying long objects like snow skis.

Exterior
  • The Mazda looks strange with its exaggerated front fenders. From the front, it sort of looks like a beetle or cockroach. From the side it looks too long, raked, and somewhat strange for a classic sports car.
  • The Z is a very attractive car when viewing from any angle.

Ride and Comfort
  • The Mazda is better here (comparing this to a Z coupe). The rear tires are inside the passenger compartment with a Z (and outside the passenger compartment with the Mazda), so the Mazda provides a more-quiet cabin.
  • The Mazda’s suspension seems every bit as good as the Z, but gives a more comfortable ride.

Transmission
Both cars (the Mazda and the Z) have such a similar feel that I would guess the companies use the same OEM transmission supplier. The tranny isn’t quite as good as the Porsche Cayman (for example), but is really good.

Engine and Performance
  • The Z is clearly the winner here with its much better torque and great hp. The engine sounds better, and I think (again, a personal opinion) provides a better driving experience.
  • The Mazda’s maximum is 9K rpm, and its shift points are around 4-6K, so the driving methodology is quite different with a rotary engine.

Tires and Wheels
  • The Mazda (Touring Model) has four identical 225 tires mounted on 18” wheels.
  • The Z has a staggered setup, and allows many different configurations.

Comparing the Z and the Mazda
If you want a car that you can modify (engine, suspension, tires and wheels, A/V, etc.), the choice between the two is clearly the Z.

I’m sure that there are other points I have not mentioned.

--Spike
amazing sales pitch!

the rx8 handles slightly better than the Z due to it's placement of the engine being in more of the middle of the car making the center balance/gravity easier to control. nothing really a few Ben Franklin's cannot fix for the Z. as with many comparisons there are a lot of differences and similarities, but most of you guys have already brought them out into the open.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by iewgnaw
i had a rx8 before i got my 350z 2 weeks old. There is so many problems with the rx8.. 1. underpower... 2. flooding in the engine if the engine isn't warmed up in the winter time 3. my clutch bracket snapped.. wtf? 4. drinks loads of oil 5. mpg sucks.. i got 15 mpg... 6. that car was POS.. sorry but i hate mazda! and rotary engines.

^^^This is what has always scared me about the RX8's. There are so many people out there that bought these cars and you know that dealers didn't go over the special needs that a rotary has so they're just driving around in them for 3-5K miles between oil changes, not checking the level frequently enough and then when they start to have problems they sell the car as a "low mileage, one owner" car. I'd never buy a used rotary anything unless I knew the person was an enthusiast and was my friend.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Zyclone Z

I like to go Fast... Z for Me :-D
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM
350DropTop

I owned an RX-8 for a couple of years before buying my Z Roadster. The RX-8 treated me well and I had no mechanical problems. Since most of the debate has already been had, here's a couple of perhaps worthless observations:

Pedal Placement
The RX-8's pedal are a placed closer together which makes quick transitions a little easier. The dead pedal in the RX-8 is in line with the clutch so you can pivot your left foot to depress the clutch rather than bringing your knee up to hit the clutch. With the Z's dead pedal so far back, I actually caught my toe behind the clutch once or twice before getting used to the new position.

Center Console
One odd item that I'm sure no one cares about is the center console. It's higher in the RX-8 which allows you to rest your right arm flat with your hand on the shifter. While not a good idea when you're in the twisties, it sure makes for more comfortable city driving and shifting.

The RX-8 rotary has its sweet spot, you just have to get used to where it is. But the RX-8 is a great car to live with and is generally easier to drive in traffic and in everyday commutes. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I never had any problems with mine...just added a quart every 1200 miles or so. The rotary is something that really can't be appreciated until you've spent some real time behind the wheel with it. A power house it's not, but it's extremely smooth and linear power band is nonetheless great to "drive"... meaning if you enjoy reving the engine with well placed shifts you can get a lot of satisfaction from it.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 AM
blazed54

Originally Posted by 350DropTop
I owned an RX-8 for a couple of years before buying my Z Roadster. The RX-8 treated me well and I had no mechanical problems. Since most of the debate has already been had, here's a couple of perhaps worthless observations:

Pedal Placement
The RX-8's pedal are a placed closer together which makes quick transitions a little easier. The dead pedal in the RX-8 is in line with the clutch so you can pivot your left foot to depress the clutch rather than bringing your knee up to hit the clutch. With the Z's dead pedal so far back, I actually caught my toe behind the clutch once or twice before getting used to the new position.

Center Console
One odd item that I'm sure no one cares about is the center console. It's higher in the RX-8 which allows you to rest your right arm flat with your hand on the shifter. While not a good idea when you're in the twisties, it sure makes for more comfortable city driving and shifting.

The RX-8 rotary has its sweet spot, you just have to get used to where it is. But the RX-8 is a great car to live with and is generally easier to drive in traffic and in everyday commutes. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I never had any problems with mine...just added a quart every 1200 miles or so. The rotary is something that really can't be appreciated until you've spent some real time behind the wheel with it. A power house it's not, but it's extremely smooth and linear power band is nonetheless great to "drive"... meaning if you enjoy reving the engine with well placed shifts you can get a lot of satisfaction from it.
a quart every 1200miles?? damn crazy. tell that to all the rev up owners screaming bloody murder over their oil consumption issues, maybe they'll relax a little .
Old 04-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Tarzan_0802

just get a NISMO 350z
Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 AM
SteenH

Originally Posted by blazed54
a quart every 1200miles?? damn crazy. tell that to all the rev up owners screaming bloody murder over their oil consumption issues, maybe they'll relax a little .
All the old Porsche air/oil cooled 911's were also designed to burn oil. 1 qt/1000 miles was considered a very healthy engine. Started to worry at 1qt/500 miles or so. Just the design.

I prefer no consumption myself.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by ed350
Z is much better all around I dont care what anybody said...Love the z better than a porches, bmw, or mercedes Z is the best car of all time..
Well I take it you never owned a porsche But I am sure your responce will be " Yes, I have owned a porsche BMW amd MB....and I will respond by saying " you have never owned a porsche...at least not a 911".

No one in there right mind if given a choice of getting a free Porsche 997 or Z would pick the Z.

I will agree that the Z is better than the RX8...but better than the Z killer of the 90's ....the RX7 tt...Well, thats a different story
Old 04-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ed350
So I guess you owned all of them and you can say this? Not being a dink, just curious how you arrived at this conclusion.

I tell ya, I drive a Z now but I do miss my WRX occasionally. It doesn't look as flashy and the Z is a beautiful car but after I was done with the suspension and my self made tune, it would blow the doors off the Z and could certainly keep up with it in the twisties. It had a lot less problems than the Z, was more reliable and the AWD was a force in winter. All from a lowly Subaru. I think most would spit on it and say, what a POS, but unless you owned one and touched it in all the right spots, it's hard to really judge. And the funny thing is, you'll be shocked how uniform most WRX/STI owners feel about the cars. Oh, we actually return waves when another WRX/STI waves at you. Come on Z owners, get with the times I am sure most RX8 owners feel their car is the best, WRX owners being the same, and let's not forget about those fear RSXs. Keep an open mind.

BTW: I never got the Porsche thing until I drove the lowly 944. Some say it's not even a real Porsche. I tell ya, that car was ahead of it's time. Joy to drive. Now I get it.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 04-05-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
It had a lot less problems than the Z
Hmm, my Z has 0 problems, 90k miles.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kegsbane
Hmm, my Z has 0 problems, 90k miles.
Yeah, it's a mixed bag. My Z had very few too but it's still early. I have 52K on it so far. Time will tell.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Phreakdout

I know I'll catch heat for this ... I have both.

I love both these cars for completely different reasons.

I can take the RX through the twisties with superior handling. The wide RPM range gives me room to wind up the engine without having to fight the gears. 5650rpm is the start of the sweet spot where the extra ports open and the additional fuel injectors.

A couple years ago, I went out with the Michigan Ferrari Owner's Club for their Fall Fun Run. We had about a dozen cars with my RX being the only Japanese car. The RX kept up great in the twists but lagged pitifully on the straights.

The RX is a gas pig. Plain and simple. If I enjoied the fun over 5650rpm, I would get around 13mpg to 15mpg. If I was a saint behind the wheel, 19mpg on the highway.

The B pillar is a little irratating to me. I'm 6'4" and the pillar is right by my head. Checking my left blind spot is a task.

Standing start acceleration is uninspiring. The rotary is smooth and acceleration is less noticeable. You are going fast, you just don't feel it.

I love the looks, the back seats, and everything else. I went to a nightclub with my wife and three of her hot friends. I took the RX. We stopped at a gas station and all four doors opened. Every guy at that station was laughing and calling me a baller. It felt good even if I'm not one.

I just recently picked up the roadster. I've always loved Z's. This is my 5th. The previous 4 were all Z31s. The wife has the RX for her ride and the Z is mine. We switched cars the other day and I really missed the Z.

The RX may look pretty, handle great ... but it lacks soul. The sound of the Z's exhaust, the feel of torque and the kick butt aftermarket support have reaffirmed that I made the right decision.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:31 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I know I'll catch heat for this ... I have both.

I love both these cars for completely different reasons.

I can take the RX through the twisties with superior handling. The wide RPM range gives me room to wind up the engine without having to fight the gears. 5650rpm is the start of the sweet spot where the extra ports open and the additional fuel injectors.

A couple years ago, I went out with the Michigan Ferrari Owner's Club for their Fall Fun Run. We had about a dozen cars with my RX being the only Japanese car. The RX kept up great in the twists but lagged pitifully on the straights.

The RX is a gas pig. Plain and simple. If I enjoied the fun over 5650rpm, I would get around 13mpg to 15mpg. If I was a saint behind the wheel, 19mpg on the highway.

The B pillar is a little irratating to me. I'm 6'4" and the pillar is right by my head. Checking my left blind spot is a task.

Standing start acceleration is uninspiring. The rotary is smooth and acceleration is less noticeable. You are going fast, you just don't feel it.

I love the looks, the back seats, and everything else. I went to a nightclub with my wife and three of her hot friends. I took the RX. We stopped at a gas station and all four doors opened. Every guy at that station was laughing and calling me a baller. It felt good even if I'm not one.

I just recently picked up the roadster. I've always loved Z's. This is my 5th. The previous 4 were all Z31s. The wife has the RX for her ride and the Z is mine. We switched cars the other day and I really missed the Z.

The RX may look pretty, handle great ... but it lacks soul. The sound of the Z's exhaust, the feel of torque and the kick butt aftermarket support have reaffirmed that I made the right decision.
Nice write up! I have an 05 Enthusiast but have spent quite a bit of time behind the wheel of an RX8 and really enjoy driving the car. I love how the rotary seems like it just wants you to keep revving higher and higher. The RX8's handling is unbelieveable (if you haven't driven one, get your hands on a MT version and rip around for an hour...you'll see what I mean). Yes, the fuel economy sucks and the engine does have a major thirst for oil...but that's how rotary's are. Now if my Z handled like the RX8 it would be the PERFECT car...but even as is, I'll take the Z any day...she's just plain SEXIER
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
jkebun

don't really have any input but i thoroughly enjoyed this thread cuz the rx7 is my favorite car, i am a bit disappointed in the rx8 (drove my friend's and it was just ok), and i own/love the 350z. everyone else was smart and kept the fd around longer. US pulled out in 95... what a shame. i would have loved to see some spirit R's cruising around here.

Last edited by jkebun; 06-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
driftmc

heh this thread is still going on, guess I'll put in my $0.02.
hmm...reading it after I've wrote it...appears I basically said the same thing ppl said over and over for RX-8;;; well, I warned ya

It just so happens I got to experience RX-8 first hand only a few weeks ago.

After a brief test run on bigger roads, I pulled into the empty parking lot and went through a make shift course...

now I was pleasantly surprised that
where my bone stock 350Z would have nose dive slightly in under steer and then with enough throttle go into power oversteer,
RX-8 under similar inputs, literally went around the corner like a roller coaster on a track! Perfectly neutral handling. It was...refreshing. I was actually having difficulties inducing over steer, which I don't think I've had a problem yet with the Z.

Then the bigger disappointment came.
Heading back on a straight away, I tested the full acceleration through 1st, 2nd...sounds smooth, and Revs just kept on going up! 9000 red line was refreshing too, however, I'm working the engine out this much and I don't seem to be going anywhere...hmm? No "pull" so to say.

The moral of the story? Z's the way to go.
Quicker, funner(if there was such a word) just a better package for the likes of me.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

I know alot of RX guys from guys that run 1st gens 2 gens and 3rd gens all in NJ and all of them said the RX8 is just not a car for car guys. It wasn't the answer to the Rx7 3rd gen as some ppl thought. while it's ok looking It doesnt have that beefiness the Z has..
Old 06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Desimale

I think the main thing that turned me off the Rx-8 was its efficiency. Less power and more gas consumption, I'll pass.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8