Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
J rad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah my first car was an rx8, it wasnt bad.... NO TORQUE...
But i do like the 350z way more
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
...I'd wager an RX8 is better suited for parking lot racing though.
The RX-8 is like the S2K in that respect. They handle a whole lot better in an autocross, not on the track. The RX-8 owns the SCCA B-stock class, just like the S2K did before it got bumped up to A-stock.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM
772Schubieee

i skiped a couple pages in the thread just to save time.. but idk if anyone has mentioned the drivetrain warranties of both cars

RX8 -> 8years, 100,000miles ( extended )
350z -> 5years, 60,000miles

- now i think that the extra warranty of the rx8 is most likely necessary for the possible repairs on the rotary housing etc.. but if warranty covers all engine components, why not buy an rx8?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The extension is to handle a fundamental problem with the rotary engine. That should be reason enough to scare people away from buying the rX-8. The RX-8 did not solve the problems inherent to the RX-7.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Huskyfan23

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The extension is to handle a fundamental problem with the rotary engine. That should be reason enough to scare people away from buying the rX-8. The RX-8 did not solve the problems inherent to the RX-7.
The RX8 is much more reliable than the RX7. The RX7 was twin turbo charged, which meant a ton of heat which, in many situations, meant seal failure. The RX8 is NA, less heat and less issues as such.

And the 100,000 mile warranty was issued because Mazda feels confident enough in the rotary engine that they are willing to extend it as such and get a few more customers in the matter. The few rotary engines that die and have to be replaced is pennies in comparison to the number of potential customers that might be had due to the new warranty on the engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 772Schubieee
i skiped a couple pages in the thread just to save time.. but idk if anyone has mentioned the drivetrain warranties of both cars

RX8 -> 8years, 100,000miles ( extended )
350z -> 5years, 60,000miles

- now i think that the extra warranty of the rx8 is most likely necessary for the possible repairs on the rotary housing etc.. but if warranty covers all engine components, why not buy an rx8?
Nissan’s 60K warranty is a “standard” drive train warranty. Same goes for the RX-8 (on its ”full coverage” for the drive train). The 100K warranty Mazda provides for the RX-8 is an “extended” warranty on specific issues with the rotary engine (i.e., read the fine print).

As Dave mentions:
Certainly a rotary engine is an interesting concept, and even RX-7 owners (many of whom had all sorts of problems with this design) were again attracted to this engine (hoping for better results) in the new RX-8. Mazda hoped to alleviate some of these concerns by offering an “extended warranty” that covers some issues with its rotary engine past the standard 60K drive train warranty. It’s only been 5 years since the RX-8 was put into production, so it will be awhile longer before RX-8 buyers reach that 100K “extended warranty.”

--Spike
Old 06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike100

I have experience with the RX-7 and RX-8. Mazda was pretty much forced into a longer warranty on the rotary engine because of problems with the RX-7.

Of course you would expect the new rotary engine in the RX-8 to be superior to the problematic RX-7’s rotary engine. That’s always the case in more modern designs.

The initial launch of the RX-8 failed. There was a class action suit (claiming that Mazda overstated the RX-8’s hp) that was quickly settled. Then came reports of drivers stranded on the roadway because of electrical failures (not good for this or any newer-designed car). But during these difficulties, owners praised the car for its great handling, superior interior with quality driver and passenger seats, a very comfortable back seat in a sports car, and generally “good build.”

Time will tell if the rotary engine remains as a viable solution. Certainly Mazda has confidence with a 100K warranty on specific engine components. We will see.

--Spike
Originally Posted by Huskyfan23
The RX8 is much more reliable than the RX7. The RX7 was twin turbo charged, which meant a ton of heat which, in many situations, meant seal failure. The RX8 is NA, less heat and less issues as such.

And the 100,000 mile warranty was issued because Mazda feels confident enough in the rotary engine that they are willing to extend it as such and get a few more customers in the matter. The few rotary engines that die and have to be replaced is pennies in comparison to the number of potential customers that might be had due to the new warranty on the engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Hell, if the poor gas mileage of the rotaries doesn't kill them off for good this time, I guess nothing will.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
joe645733

rx-8 is nasty looking. girly car in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Spike100

Hell, if the poor gas mileage of the rotaries doesn't kill them off for good this time, I guess nothing will.
That’s a good point. Even doing aggressive driving, the Z provides a significant advantage over the RX-8 as to gas mileage. If you drive more carefully (to maximize mileage) the Z does much better, and the Mazda’s rotary engine remains as thirsty (no matter how you drive it).

I’ve never been able to understand this. You would think that an engine with a rotary design would generate less friction (not reversing direction as does the piston engines). And the rotary engine has such a small displacement.

So I wonder why the rotary engine is so inefficient.

--Spike
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM
jkebun

i have no idea but i still love the 13b-rew (screw the renesis). i dont know if now would be the best time to own one when im living paycheck to paycheck, once i have enough money to throw around, definitely gonna get a fd. ive driven the rx8 before and it does feel alot lighter. there were the same amount of rx8s and sti's at autocross (alot) but for those that totally bag on the z being overweight and not able to corner, best motoring put a stock z against a stock s2k on tsukuba circuit and the z won. BOOYAH!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Donsred350Z

I don't know what gives I just read an mag/internet article that placed the RX-8 twice in best vehicle deal in regrads to mpg and money savings. The article base its decision on the $3500 off the Msrp price because of slow sells.

I don't know who Mazda's paying but they seem to get all kind of favorable press time even in areas that they are known to have faults such as mpg or preventive maintaince.

Kudos must be given to the RX8's autocross success, but I just can't see it beating a S2000 on a Race track or autocross. Pending the driver the RX-8 will beat a 350Z in a really tight autocross track but the Z will stomp the 8 on a Road/Race track anywhere were there's long straights and curves, I no for a fact the S2000 will too. As I mentioned the Rx-8 is a great idea on paper and does alot of things well but nothing really well. I like the look and feel of a Rx-8 until you try entering the highway and really need to accelarate without a running start, the Z has no problem but the RX-8 (especially with an auto tranny) will get you ran over trying the same thing. With a running start the Rx-8 has little problem getting up to speed. Rx-8 has its fan base but its not a FD TT RX-7 though more reliabile then the 7 its not near the overall performer. The FD was a sports car with no pretense like the 350Z, not a catchall like the 8.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
ZRuggernDC

Ha... Too funny. Saturday when i bought my Z, it was at a Nissan and Mazda dealership. Test drove the Z first then went and test drove the RX8.
My thoughts:
RX8: While this little go getter was packed full of everything Mazda could throw into it the **** pit was a huge turn off. For those of (you) mainly me that like to change out the factory deck and other things the RX8 makes this an impossible task as everything is built into the freaking dash. But, the suspension wasn't all that rocking. It's the suspension of a lite tuner car. Had a loose feeling and to do any real aggressivness , in my opinion the suspension would require a flip out.

Hands down the Z. As the RX8 is yet unexplored, which is changing, just check out the one thats ripping up the track in Formula D, but regardless the Z is were its at.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
mrfobbyaccent

rx-8= wannabe sports car
Old 07-04-2008, 06:57 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

im not going to bother reading all the pages of this thread to see if it has been said yet. If it has, then let me reitterate.

The RX-8's tranny is a POS, at least from how it holds up in track use. Every team that runs an RX8 in competition (IE: Koni Challenge) has to swap their tranny almost every other race.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 PM
davids
F U StuLax18

Originally Posted by mrfobbyaccent
rx-8= wannabe sports car
You couldn't be further from the truth. It's one of the best balanced cars out there. Don't be so narrow minded.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:41 AM
SCHIMMLE

Just off hand they are both great cars, and don't dump on one or the other. First off go look at all the different comparisons done between the cars. Car and Driver, Edmunds, Top Gear, and look to see which car usually takes the prize. Its usually a comparison between the RX8, 350Z, Audi TT, and the Mustang. And thats usually how they place in the end. The margins are usually fairly close in the end, but most still do have the 8 in the top spot. So its unfair to say that 1 car compared to the other is a P.O.S. when clearly they are very close and it ultimately ends up in the finer points which one someone chooses.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Last edited by SCHIMMLE; 07-08-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Donsred350Z

Originally Posted by SCHIMMLE
Just off hand they are both great cars, and don't dump on one or the other. First off go look at all the different comparisons done between the cars. Car and Driver, Edmunds, Top Gear, and look to see which car usually takes the prize. Its usually a comparison between the RX8, 350Z, Audi TT, and the Mustang. And thats usually how they place in the end. The margins are usually fairly close in the end, but most still do have the 8 in the top spot. So its unfair to say that 1 car compared to the other is a P.O.S. when clearly they are very close and it ultimately ends up in the finer points which one someone chooses.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

So its unfair to say that 1 car compared to the other is a P.O.S. when clearly they are very close and it ultimately ends up in the finer points which one someone chooses.

What I think is unfair is for the 8 to win all the reviews in the Sports Car category but after John Q public test driving them the car sells less cars then the VW's bug. Almost every comparison test I've seen the Z wipe the floor with RX-8 in performance and seem to show the same feeling that I got when I test drove both. In one review the guy said after the Z won all three comparative test one driver thought the Z a nice car stock, the RX-8 could be a better car with add on's, but the Z is more of a drivers car and is better stock. The Rx-8 won this comparison test even after lossing every test badly.

The RX-8 is a good DD but not a Good Sports Car. It is a Sporty Car with small back doors. Its a great ideal.

Last edited by Donsred350Z; 07-08-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
RBlover69

I wouldnt dare say the rx8 is a wanna be sports car, because saying that just shows ignorance and not really understanding road racing or what a sports car is. In rolex they been wiping the floor with everyone and been a force to be reckoned with.

Now comparing it to a Z isnt really fair because there is a huge power difference and also a gearing difference. The rx8 handle as one would agree like the s2k. Closer smaller based turn courses you will find miatas and rx8s having a advantage weight wise with a rx8. they handle really well and modded i seen them even compete with lotus elises , there really good handleing wise. One shouldnt complaing or boast of being balanced is the best thing car design wise because the Z was never designed to be 50/50 weight ratio. The designers specifically said that they originally was going to make the Z a balanced ratio car but found that the turn in ablity of the current weight provided a better handeling expiernce and more control of the rear with the accelerater in a high speed turn.

So to say that its a fault isnt really true because the Z wasnt designed to be like that. Its a Zero lift weight transfer car that you balance out basically when your on track...the weight shifts really well in a Z.

Right now cars like the s2k and the rx8 are loosing there prowess stock wise because as new engine designed like the HR series engiens bless the Z we saw a utter beat down of the highest model s2k and rx8 even the evo mr . But these have to do with courses aswell. each course lends advantages to speciif cars that were designed for them. The Z minus the nismo wouldnt fair as well against a s2k or rx8 in a extremely tight turn course. But i overall the Z does pose the best platform in my view in comparioson to those 2 cars. But lets not disparage them in rolex rx8s kick ***. Zs have yet to get by engine failers but do extremly well aswell.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrfobbyaccent
rx-8= wannabe sports car

ignorance sure is bliss...........powa is NOT everything

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8