Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z vs. Mazda RX-8

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Endgame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I know I'll catch heat for this ... I have both.
The RX may look pretty, handle great ... but it lacks soul. The sound of the Z's exhaust, the feel of torque and the kick butt aftermarket support have reaffirmed that I made the right decision.
Lacks soul??? Ummmm. No. It has plenty soul and is MUCH more connected to the road than the Z. It is a true driver's car.

Many of the old RX7 guys do not like the 8 due to, as you noted, the lack of power and the fact that many kept saying this was the RX7's successor. That is disrepecful to the RX7.

In there current form, the RX8 is more of a driver's car than the Z. I have not had as much fun driving this car than any other car; well... except my SR20DET S13 240. Wow, that was a hawt car! But the RX8 will get KILLED on the track by a 350. Also as noted the gas thing is no bueno. Now that the 370 will weigh about the same as my current RX8, but have the lovely VQ V6 (TRULY a great engine), I am coming back to Nissan.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:53 AM
DaZong

Z > rx8, 8 IS A UNDERPOWERED POS THAT IS NOTHING BUT A DISAPPOINTMENT
Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Endgame

Originally Posted by DaZong
Z > rx8, 8 IS A UNDERPOWERED POS THAT IS NOTHING BUT A DISAPPOINTMENT
It has better quality so say MANY Z owners.

What makes it a POS?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Indyzed

Originally Posted by 350DropTop
I owned an RX-8 for a couple of years before buying my Z Roadster. The RX-8 treated me well and I had no mechanical problems. Since most of the debate has already been had, here's a couple of perhaps worthless observations:

Pedal Placement
The RX-8's pedal are a placed closer together which makes quick transitions a little easier. The dead pedal in the RX-8 is in line with the clutch so you can pivot your left foot to depress the clutch rather than bringing your knee up to hit the clutch. With the Z's dead pedal so far back, I actually caught my toe behind the clutch once or twice before getting used to the new position.

Center Console
One odd item that I'm sure no one cares about is the center console. It's higher in the RX-8 which allows you to rest your right arm flat with your hand on the shifter. While not a good idea when you're in the twisties, it sure makes for more comfortable city driving and shifting.

The RX-8 rotary has its sweet spot, you just have to get used to where it is. But the RX-8 is a great car to live with and is generally easier to drive in traffic and in everyday commutes. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I never had any problems with mine...just added a quart every 1200 miles or so. The rotary is something that really can't be appreciated until you've spent some real time behind the wheel with it. A power house it's not, but it's extremely smooth and linear power band is nonetheless great to "drive"... meaning if you enjoy reving the engine with well placed shifts you can get a lot of satisfaction from it.
Same here. Had one for 4 years and had zero issues (40,000 miles). I even had an early build model that was supposedly the worst of the worst. I drove it hard but maintained it to a tee. I miss certain things about the 8 but overall I love my Z much more. The looks combined with the accelerations and performance make it unbeatable. It has to be the best sports car under 45k.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Donsred350Z

The RX-8 is a good idea on paper but its didn't quite make the cut though there are a few that adore it and its won many of the magazine Sports Car comparsion test bc it has room for 4. The general public didn't climb aboard after test driving the RX-8 myself several times I give it kudos on interior design, smooth shifting transmisson and a silky rotary engine teh auto sucks big time. But the precaution and maintenance required in the service manual is crazy a quart of oil every 1200 miles, thrump the engine everytime to move it short distance. Poor gas mileages and no power until you are @7500rpms.

It's a nice idea but everytime I got back into my 05 Z I knew it was the Sports car for Me. Its like comparing a Helicopter to a Jet one is more versitle can do it all within its limits but doesn't do anything great the other is what it is with no pretense a F16 on the street. Each to their own I like the Honda S2k better then the RX-8 bc it is what it is with no pretense, but even its not a Z-car. The RX-8 hasn't been really upgraded since 2004.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
BADASSTT

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Endgame
It has better quality so say MANY Z owners.

What makes it a POS?
Is'nt the RX-8 a Ford? Mazda was bought by Ford and if thats the case then it sucks.Dont get me wrong imo I dont like the exterior and when I test drove one it felt really slow. But it does have a hell of a nice interior. I personally think that the 93 and up RX-7 TwinTurbo was the real RX-7

Last edited by BADASSTT; 06-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let this die already, 350z is better /thread
Old 06-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Indyzed

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Is'nt the RX-8 a Ford? Mazda was bought by Ford and if thats the case then it sucks.Dont get me wrong imo I dont like the exterior and when I test drove one it felt really slow. But it does have a hell of a nice interior. I personally think that the 93 and up RX-7 TwinTurbo was the real RX-7
If there's any Ford in the 8 it's a teensie weensie percentage. Quite a bit of the 8's parts are solely for the 8. It shares the exterior door handles and ventilation vents from Ford and that's about it. The drivetrain and engine are 100% Japanese and Mazda only.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:10 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by Indyzed
If there's any Ford in the 8 it's a teensie weensie percentage. Quite a bit of the 8's parts are solely for the 8. It shares the exterior door handles and ventilation vents from Ford and that's about it. The drivetrain and engine are 100% Japanese and Mazda only.
If I'm not mistaken it was FORD that borrowed the design aspects straight from the Mazda design teams.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Talonvoodo

If the rx8 gets that bad of milage, why not grab a nice, well maintained FD rx7. My buddy had one and I recall it got about the same mpg. It seems pretty obvious that the Z is a better overall sports car compared with the rx8 but I wonder how it would fare against an fd rx7. Might not be the same generation but the performace is really close to each other IMO. I do know that once you loose traction in an FD it's scary twitchy compared to the Z.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:54 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Talonvoodo
If the rx8 gets that bad of milage, why not grab a nice, well maintained FD rx7. My buddy had one and I recall it got about the same mpg. It seems pretty obvious that the Z is a better overall sports car compared with the rx8 but I wonder how it would fare against an fd rx7. Might not be the same generation but the performace is really close to each other IMO. I do know that once you loose traction in an FD it's scary twitchy compared to the Z.
Stock FD35 vs 350Z is close but the Z takes it. Or least i myself have. Now if they have some mods and a bigger turbo then the FD will pull 9 out of 10 times like any other FI production vehicle with mods against a NA Z..
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is'nt the RX-8 a Ford?
Not quite.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
LMAO !

Sorry for stirring it up again.

I don't plan on getting rid of my RX8 or the Z any time soon. I like having choices when I go to the garage. Like a fork and a spoon, each one excels in different ways.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 06-27-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:10 AM
2ndname

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
LMAO !

Sorry for stirring it up again.

I don't plan on getting rid of my RX8 or the Z any time soon. I like having choices when I go to the garage. Like a fork and a spoon, each one excels in different ways.
Lucky man!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
Not sure why you suggest this since the discussion goes on with lots of interesting points.

--Spike
Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 PM
JCSVT

Oh no! A Ford!!!! They're so inferior!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Z_Driver
Master

The RX8 reminds me of the Ford Probe / MX6 days too much. Ford took a nice Japanese platform and made a good car that no one bought. I had a Probe GT and loved it. Not because it was fast but, because it had room, was quick enough for the day and got good gas mileage:

The Mazda RX8 is a nice car. It has good power, some room but, the gas mileage doesn't work in this era of cars. My Probe got 27mpg. Why can Mazda only get 21mpg out of the RX8. Imo the car is a failure. It will die a slow death like the Probe and MX6. Too bad because it's a nice car just not up to the needs of the day.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Huskyfan23

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
yeah there about as fast an a RSX!. .thats why the GF traded it for the STI. .now she's the fastest!!
I don't know if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but there is a horsepower difference between the AT and MT models. An AT is greatly underpowered, 212 hp and redline of 7k. For the 2004-2005 models the AT only had 197 hp. The MT has 232 and redline of 9k with fuel shutoff at 9.5k. The MT is a lot faster and has good pull btwn 5k - 9k.

If you say you've raced an RX8 and "smoked" it, be sure it's not an AT. A V-6 mustang could keep up with the AT.

I've clocked 0 - 60 in 6.2 seconds in my MT Grand Touring RX8. Car and Driver hit 0-60 in 5.8. Not as fast as the 350z but still fast.

The lack of torque is an issue, but if you keep the engine going above 5,000 rpms, it pulls hard. It's not as quick as a 350z but the MT is considerably faster than an RSX. It's quicker than an RSX-S as well.

For a NA engine that only displaces 1.3 liters, the output is amazing. I love my RX8, it's plenty quick and great around the corners. I like the 350z, but would I give up my car for it? no.

Oh yeah, as for reliability, I have 80k on my RX8 and have never had an issue with it.

Different opinions for different people, I guess.

Last edited by Huskyfan23; 06-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Huskyfan23

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
The RX8 reminds me of the Ford Probe / MX6 days too much. Ford took a nice Japanese platform and made a good car that no one bought. I had a Probe GT and loved it. Not because it was fast but, because it had room, was quick enough for the day and got good gas mileage:

The Mazda RX8 is a nice car. It has good power, some room but, the gas mileage doesn't work in this era of cars. My Probe got 27mpg. Why can Mazda only get 21mpg out of the RX8. Imo the car is a failure. It will die a slow death like the Probe and MX6. Too bad because it's a nice car just not up to the needs of the day.
It will die a slow death? It's been around for soon to be 6 years with another rotary scheduled to be released in 2011. A "failure" does not last 6+ years of production. and please don't compare the 8 to a probe. That's an embarrassment to all 8 owners. The best engine the Probe had was 145 hp, terrible suspension. The probe wasn't even a sports car.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM
OPTIMO

RX8 has a nicer interior, drive train, clutch and box feel and can look nice when the right body kit is fitted. In stock trim it looks akward. Very well balanced.

The Z has a nicer engine, exhaust note and is also well balanced. The Z also is a more attractive body style.

I had no problem passing RX8s at my last HPDE. I'd wager an RX8 is better suited for parking lot racing though.

Quick Reply: 350Z vs. Mazda RX-8